• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 NgR2000

NgR2000

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 03:51 PM

i have the second kernal edition of the xbox with the phillips dvd drive, with an enigmah final mod chip. everything has been working fine. i installed the chip myself and even hot glued the solder points to make sure they dont break. My problem is i went back to school and backed my xbox up and rehooked it up at school and now it will not boot any game. no burns, and no retails. the light flashes green then stays solid so i dont think its the drive. possibly hard drive or mod chip. any suggestions would help. car ride must have done something. help me please

#2 Drew826

Drew826

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 September 2002 - 05:13 PM

try resetting the clock. after being unplugged for so long, you probably need to tell it the correct date and time.

#3 alee132

alee132

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 08:01 PM

Hot glue, what were you thinking, you moron

#4 NgR2000

NgR2000

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 09:54 PM

what do you mean (hot glue you moron)

You must have no understanding of electronics, or maybe your a punk ass teenager. I on the otherhand am a computer engineer student at NJIT. Hot glue is not conductive and will not short any connections. It basicaly keeps your wires from moving around or getting pulled off. Furthermore i have installed over 15 enigmah final mod chips for family friends and business, and I have used hot glue on all of them with no problems, so who's the moron now, you uneducated piece of trash.

As for the first response, the only one with actual thought put behind it, i have a question for you. First off yes my xbox was unplugged for a long time due to my move back to school, but it does not ask me to input the time due to the fact that i removed the xbox dashboard with the evo x dash. So hopefully what your suggesting is that i ftp back into my xbox reload the MS dashboard and turn it on, then it should ask for the time and everything should work just fine like it has. This seems to me like the most logical explanation because i already regutted my xbox today to recheck my solder points and there all still perfect as the day i made them.

#5 BIOYAM

BIOYAM

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 11:27 PM

NgR2000,
Also, you can transfer a renamed copy of your original xbox dashboard to your Xbox's "C" drive, and create a link from the Evox desktop.
Example: rename original "xboxdash.xbe" to "xboxdash_old.xbe"
Copy to "C" partition, then create a link on the Evox Desktop to "xboxdash_old.xbe". Call link "MS Dashboard"
Should make things easier in the future carrying around your Xbox, if the clock setting is your problem.
BIOYAM.

#6 Ichijouji

Ichijouji

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 12:11 AM

NJIT, eh? You're pretty close to me. =P

BIOYAM, from what I understand, people have trouble accessing the MS Dashboard from their Evo-X menu when the clock problem occurs. I'm not sure if that's true or not, though...

#7 BIOYAM

BIOYAM

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 01:19 AM

Oh....Okay......
Well, at least rename an original copy and keep it on your Xbox drive, so that when you have the problem it is just a matter of linking up to a pc, FTP a rename & reboot. Change time & FTP a rename again to get your Evox back.
Hope this helps.
BIOYAM.

#8 echto

echto

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 05 September 2002 - 05:34 AM

QUOTE (NgR2000 @ Sep 3 2002, 12:54 PM)
what do you mean (hot glue you moron)

You must have no understanding of electronics, or maybe your a punk ass teenager. I on the otherhand am a computer engineer student at NJIT. Hot glue is not conductive and will not short any connections. It basicaly keeps your wires from moving around or getting pulled off. Furthermore i have installed over 15 enigmah final mod chips for family friends and business, and I have used hot glue on all of them with no problems, so who's the moron now, you uneducated piece of trash.

As for the first response, the only one with actual thought put behind it, i have a question for you. First off yes my xbox was unplugged for a long time due to my move back to school, but it does not ask me to input the time due to the fact that i removed the xbox dashboard with the evo x dash. So hopefully what your suggesting is that i ftp back into my xbox reload the MS dashboard and turn it on, then it should ask for the time and everything should work just fine like it has. This seems to me like the most logical explanation because i already regutted my xbox today to recheck my solder points and there all still perfect as the day i made them.

Right on! There is another person out there sick of kiddie sh*t!

GO GLUE GUN!

#9 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 05 September 2002 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE (NgR2000 @ Sep 3 2002, 08:54 PM)
I on the otherhand am a computer engineer student at NJIT. Hot glue is not conductive and will not short any connections. It basicaly keeps your wires from moving around or getting pulled off. Furthermore i have installed over 15 enigmah final mod chips for family friends and business, and I have used hot glue on all of them with no problems, so who's the moron now, you uneducated piece of trash.

wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif

While his response is uncalled for, hot glue is indeed a very poor idea.

Hot glue is basically a "liquid" with high cohesion, so it remains fluid.

This means that basically if temperature builds, even a little, you will loose metal to metal contact. Since the temp does indeed rise in the machine glue is very problematic. Even Epoxy is very poor for the same reasons (although the new electrical expoxies designed specifically for this are very promising...)

Jarring, moving or shipping your xbox may also be enough to damage the connections without disengaging the wires, making this hard to spot.

There are also other issues which hot glue produces, including increase reflectance, variable impedance, etc. It is no better than taping the connections in place with Electrical tape.

#10 megaflux

megaflux

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 September 2002 - 12:08 PM

1 real question: wouldnt putting hot glue over stuff make it nearly impossible to do a clean removal or replacement? i can see the reason for doing it, but you NEVER intend on undoing it? just wanna make sure i understand this. or is there a way to pluck hot glue off easily?

#11 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 05 September 2002 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE (megaflux @ Sep 5 2002, 11:08 AM)
1 real question: wouldnt putting hot glue over stuff make it nearly impossible to do a clean removal or replacement? i can see the reason for doing it, but you NEVER intend on undoing it? just wanna make sure i understand this. or is there a way to pluck hot glue off easily?

dry.gif

Hot glue is available in several compounds.

The "clear" and "white" compounds are both removable. The clear can be removed without re-heating the glue. The white normally requires some heat.

Other formulations are a bit more "sticky".

The "clear" is actually used quite a bit, to hold wires, etc. in place, in a manner that can easily be removed.

As I've stated, it's a terrible material to use for a mod (unless you merely wish to flash your BIOS then remove the mod.)

dry.gif

#12 Demon

Demon

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 05 September 2002 - 03:28 PM

I'd be afraid of pulling the Hot Glue off and taking a trace or two with me. It was bad enough getting in there with a soldering iron, I can't imagine getting in there with a dripping glue gun.

:d:

#13 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 05 September 2002 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (Demon @ Sep 5 2002, 02:28 PM)
I'd be afraid of pulling the Hot Glue off and taking a trace or two with me. It was bad enough getting in there with a soldering iron, I can't imagine getting in there with a dripping glue gun.

biggrin.gif:

With the clear compound this is not a problem.

With the white compound, you'll rip the traces out in a flash.

Glue is not the way to do electrical work of any sort, except for securing leads, etc.

#14 echto

echto

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 05 September 2002 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (opjose @ Sep 5 2002, 06:37 AM)

Glue is not the way to do electrical work of any sort, except for securing leads, etc.

I agree. When used in moderation it can be quite helpfull.

#15 NgR2000

NgR2000

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 September 2002 - 07:37 PM

Yes the hot gule was only used in moderation to keep the solder points secure. No the mainboard of the xbox does not get hot enough to turn the glue back into a liquid state. Yes it can be removed fairly easy if you dont glob it on. I use it to make sure my mod chip and wires stay where i put them. My main concern was that one of the 29 wires was going to get sucked into the fan and mess my shit up. So i also glue the wires down in place so they never move. And know i dont think i am every going to take my mod chip out so im not worried but having to unistall it. I want it to be perminant

Oh yeah, thanks for the clock set post, that did the trick for me and i am back up and running. I also noticed that now that i have only the xbox dashboard on my xbox my games seem to boot a little bit faster and on the first try everytime.

Peace.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users