Xanta Powa!

• Admin
  • 3,110 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 November 2005 - 12:10 AM

Artifacts on Xbox 360 Kiosk Machines? -- Posted by XanTium on November 1 18:10
From planetxbox360.com:

Someone sent us these pictures that they took at a Walmart. The games being played are Call of Duty 2, and Peter Jackson's King Kong. Notice anything strange?

Xbox-Scene
More Pictures: planetxbox360.com
Apparently the artifacts you can see came up during gameplay and also on the game menus. Note they were not present during video playback. Could the Xbox 360's be getting burnt out, do they need a reset, or is there some other explanation?

Read More planetxbox360.com

#2 munkle

munkle

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:51 AM

hmm.. makes me wonder if the xbox 360 has adequate cooling, or possibly the heat sink was not put on right or a fan died, makes me warry of buying one now, oh well thats what warrentys are for.

Edited by munkle, 02 November 2005 - 01:52 AM.

#3 tonloc79

tonloc79

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:54 AM

Not familiar with artifacts. what are they and what causes them? all links are dead! beerchug.gif

#4 Ces2k3

Ces2k3

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:58 AM

Seems like the heat isnt comming out right inside them kioks. or we looking at uncomplete demos.

#5 munkle

munkle

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:01 AM

well heat can cause cause them, to my understanding its when the video "card" (or chip in this situation) starts putting out errors because it is unstable, it can be caused by heat, but also if the core or video memory is damaged (or overclocking in the case of pc's but that should apply here, unless the gpu is being pushed to hard), but its wierd that its not there during video playback.

#6 atomheartmother

atomheartmother

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  • Interests:woman booze hairy chickens ohh and XBOX!!
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:10 AM

yeah heatsinks can come loose even during shipping or handling of the machine. Or it could be the air flow of the cabinet, or moisture all kinds of things this to me is nothing of concern and should not be unless it was common opn many machines, isolated incidents should be expected here and there as it is a man made and installed produce (electonical at that) errors will happen...

#7 WildMonkeys

WildMonkeys

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:engineering stuff ftw!<br /><br />hockey<br /><br />xbox stuff

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:20 AM

It's water cooled... (or does it have fans?) I was under the impression that this was the final 360 and the final was water cooled (makes sense since the normal kiosks are in little plastic bubbles). Looks like HDD's file corruption (or HDD overheating) to me (or memory), overheating wouldn't cause that (unless it has some kind of graphics underclocking when it gets too hot)

Edited by WildMonkeys, 02 November 2005 - 03:21 AM.

#8 moddingswede

moddingswede

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 02 November 2005 - 04:16 AM

please don't flame, but what exactly is an artifact?

#9 pingrr

pingrr

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 04:52 AM

QUOTE(moddingswede @ Nov 1 2005, 10:27 PM)
please don't flame, but what exactly is an artifact?

View Post

If you look at the screen shots they are the little random dots or suares that pop up on the picture. Kinda like certine parts of the screen not get rendered.

#10 JEB-101

JEB-101

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 02 November 2005 - 04:57 AM

I think this is a major issue and M$ should really take care of that raight away... even if it's te demo's... TEST THIS SHIT! play in confined airflow area... alot of people including myself will put this in theire entertainment unit and has limited airflow... fix this MS!! dont over look this...lol...

Looks not just like a few artifacts but more like in the thousands... I had artifacts on my vid card and it was just heat... hopefully just this not defective hardware..

beerchug.gif
JEB

#11 lilwadero

lilwadero

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 06:58 AM

ok so im playing 360 in walmart and am amazed. i look to find out what tv there using. i pull pack the 360 protective advertisment thing . to my shock underneath is a giant steel frame with magnets that attach to the tv screen. now we all know the trippy side effects that magnets have on crts. but what about lcds. well, i remember at a home keeping a magnent on the lcd screen n playing with it. one day the screen started getting as in the pictures "artifacts". i had to ncall NEC and they asked me if magnets contacted the monitor. i said yes n they said i was screwed.

i think these magnetc ads r the culprit.

#12 Odb718

Odb718

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 10:51 AM

That's all well and good but look at the pics. The orange on the pic on X-S's main page isn't random enough for me to believe that it's the TV. The artifacts on the people and tanks are one color and the ground has two large black artifacts. the second pic on planetxbox360 is just totally crazy. All but one of the artifacts (the big white triangle one on the second pic) seem to be messed up polygons on the meshes. I doubt the TV would be responsible for that. If the 360 is having this much trouble with 1st wave games I don't wanna think what's gonna be wrong once the second wave hits.
But if it's just a POS demo disc causing all types of probs, why the hell didn't they test it better. How do they expect to sell 360s if the demos look like ass?
Any way you slice it M$ screwed up royally.

And besides that. if magnets were to blame, all of the 360 displays were set up around the same time. There should be multiple instances if magnets were to blame. The fact that it's only one... to my understanding, means that the 360 is to blame.

#13 Altima NEO

Altima NEO

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, XBox, 360, PSP, Dreamcast, 3D Graphics &amp; Animation

Posted 02 November 2005 - 11:12 AM

Has anyone seen a kiosk with artifacts? Other than the one in the picture.

Anyway, I doubt its a major issue. Remember the first Xbox kiosks were constantly crashing and pumping out errors?

Edited by Altima NEO, 02 November 2005 - 11:16 AM.

#14 D33z

D33z

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 02 November 2005 - 12:16 PM

also, they said that it would play back vid's fine. It was just in menus and demos that the artifacts appeared. Seems like when there is interfacing, there is problems on this unit.

#15 jaskerzada006

jaskerzada006

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:54 PM

It better not do this shit in my living room.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users