tmh88

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:post pictures of your xbox at http://www.xb-t.com/
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:30 PM

Since this is an xbox forum, I know that everyone would buy a 360 of PS3 any day. I dont know much about ps3, except that its going to use a cell processor, and looks like a george forman grill. Thats all I know. I dont know what info has been released on it, and I would really like to know the hardware aspects of it.

Anyway, from some of you guys, could I please get an honest opinion of how the 360 and PS3's hardware compare to each other (ex videocards, processor speeds, ram, ect...). I dont want anybody saying stuff like PS3 is gay or anything like that, because I want to learn more about it. I am a huge xbox fan, but I've always like sony stuff too. So could you please list your opnions on how the 2 systems hardware compares, meaning which one do you think is faster or overall performs better. thanks

beerchug.gif

#2 tmh88

tmh88

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 09:57 PM

Im sure you guys have something to say about ps3, i mean theres a seperate forum created just for it.

Edited by tmh88, 07 November 2005 - 09:57 PM.

#3 XeroKitsune

XeroKitsune

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Anime, Video Games, & random other things.
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 November 2005 - 12:01 AM

Well for myself I am holding my opinion on the PS3 untill I can get my hands on it and play with it.
I think both the 360 and PS3 will be successful, that aside I don't trust most game companies claims of performance or graphics untill after thier system is out. Sony's marketing team is aggressive to say the least, how many people remember the "PS2 your home pc replacement with the power of a supercomputer locked in the emotion engine" campaign. For PS3, they have the Cell campaign. Will it be a great system; most likely, but I do not trust anything untill I have it in my hands.

Mind you, I still belive it's the games that make the system great not a processer clockspeed or type of gpu.

#4 tmh88

tmh88

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 12:32 AM

QUOTE(XeroKitsune @ Nov 8 2005, 12:08 AM)
Well for myself I am holding my opinion on the PS3 untill I can get my hands on it and play with it.
I think both the 360 and PS3 will be successful, that aside I don't trust most game companies claims of performance or graphics untill after thier system is out. Sony's marketing team is aggressive to say the least, how many people remember the "PS2 your home pc replacement with the power of a supercomputer locked in the emotion engine" campaign. For PS3, they have the Cell campaign. Will it be a great system; most likely, but I do not trust anything untill I have it in my hands.

Mind you, I still belive it's the games that make the system great not a processer clockspeed or type of gpu.

View Post

Thanks for your opninon. I really like some xbox series games such as amped, and halo, but playstation does offer some great games such as grand theft auto(which eventually comes out for xbox but takes like a year or 2), and the grand turismo series.

So whats an estimated release date for ps3?

#5 kaz786

kaz786

X-S Member

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 107 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 10 November 2005 - 08:52 PM

Sony have said the release date for ps3 is spring 06. but i wouldnt be surprised if it is later.

#6 thebucketmouse

thebucketmouse

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:Females, marching band, computers, etc

Posted 13 November 2005 - 07:42 AM

I think PS3 will be a more powerful machine, but MS has XboxLive and it's supposedly easier to program for...not to mention the price for xbox360 will probably be dropped even more by the time PS3 is released.

#7 kjmc

kjmc

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:59 AM

Whether I buy one or not depends entirely on if they give us system link capabilities like xbox and the games to use it. thats why I never got a ps2, before i got broadband my friends and I eventually got 4 boxes and 4 tvs and would go crazy on halo 1.
kai makes things even better now that we'ved moved farther away and there are a lot more sys link enabled games out there. Their are some really great games that playstation has and will get that I want but w/o the link it's too limited despite all the other features like blu-ray and card readers, hdtv....that i don't care about. Even with xbox live, as popular as it is, sony could take advantage of networks like kai by making their system able to utilize them and push their own network for the MMORPGs.
That way they don't even have to risk investing in a "live" like service that may fail.

That said, 400 for the 360 package or 400-500+ for the ps3 and $60-70 games for either is just not worth it if you already have most multimedia capabilities, maybe if you choose one to build your entertainment center around it might be worth it but from what i've seen using one machine to play games and movies will just wear out the drive faster and you'll need to replace it or just put up with the choppy video play and dirty disc errors. I'll be waiting a year or 2 for them to build up their game libraries and come down in price, unless of course they're modded sooner than that

#8 bornonce

bornonce

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE(thebucketmouse @ Nov 13 2005, 06:49 AM)
I think PS3 will be a more powerful machine, but MS has XboxLive and it's supposedly easier to program for...not to mention the price for xbox360 will probably be dropped even more by the time PS3 is released.

View Post

Well, I really do not know how useful the power of the PS3 is going to be. The concept of the cell processor is theoretically appealing (the basic bus architecture is not a new concept but has been used in telecommunication fiber networks for years) but the problem is how do you make it so that a programmer can quickly utilize all of those SPE's and keep track of what they are doing in a real-time game? I suspect that for the first couple of years PS3 games will utilize at most two to three cells.

Don't underestimate the raw power of the XBOX 360, however. It has 3 full PPC cores, each of which is capable of handling two threads simultaneously. Condemned:Criminal Minds is already using two threads, one dedicated entirely to the AI of your enemies. HD-DVD is a possible option in the future if warranted.

Graphically, it is probably a wash. The RSX uses NVidia's latest design concepts, while the XBOX 360 uses integrated shaders. Both are capable of dazzling video performance. In looking at the current state of the PS3 hardware elements, however, I have been predicting for over four months that Sony cannot deliver the PS3 in quantity and at a reasonable price until 2007. By the time the PS3 actually launches (meaning available in stores for off-the-shelf purchase), expect a dramatic reduction in price of the XBOX 360, including a HALO 3 bundle, at a much lower price than the PS3.

All this assumes that Sony can even get a PS3 design that works, of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users