• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zeitgeist_A

Zeitgeist_A

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 03:21 AM

I want to mod an xbox to play backups and install linux, but I'd also like to use it for Live. Thing is, I live with 6 other guys, and even if I explain to each and every one of them how it works, one day someone'll get drunk (or just won't care) and will try to get on Live with the modchip turned on.

To solve this problem, I was thinking about installing an X2 with a normally-closed pushbutton switch hooked up to the mod disable switch terminals. That way, as long as nobody is pressing the switch, the modchip will be disabled. This _should_ prevent anyone from accidentally going on Live with the modchip enabled.

The question, though, is this:
If I install the chip like this, will it be alright to simply hold down the button (thereby opening the circuit and enabling the chip) during bootup, or does the modchip need to be accessibly constantly in order to function properly?

#2 staticFLINT

staticFLINT

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,414 posts
  • Interests:my only interest is making sure i always have fun with what i am doing... lets go be lame! yEAH!!
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 16 April 2003 - 03:25 AM

I belive you only have to hold it on bootup, for the XBox stores the bios in memory till next boot... not 100% on that, but remember reading it...

#3 Zeitgeist_A

Zeitgeist_A

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 03:28 AM

Thanks,

I'll give that a try. If it doesn't work, and it turns out I need a standard spst toggle switch for this, is there any kind of FAQ I could add the info to so that other people don't have to deal with buying/replacing xbox switches if attempting the same thing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users