5 replies to this topic

#1 Woobus

Woobus

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 08:50 AM

Okay, so I'm not exactly a n00b. But I used all these newbie pages to softmod my Xbox a while back - I replaced the HD with a 300GB monster and now I watch TV through it.

As this community helped me create a media center that makes my fellow nerds glare with envy, and non-nerds call me "one of theose scary people," I thought it'd be neat if I tracked this whole next project.

Today, a buddy of mine gave me his Xbox. As he put it: "well, I turn it on and it flashes and nothing happens."

Now, he's done nothing to it - no hardmodding or softmodding. Hasn't even opened the case. It is a refurbished model, though.

I brought the guy's Xbox home, plugged it in and it turned on just fine. The first time. And the second time. The third time, the green light blinked three times, and hey presto - flashing red and green.

From what I understand, this is not a good sign.

Next step, open the sucker. I remembered this part from last time, but here's what taught me how to do it:

http://www.xbox-scen...icles/open1.php

Being that I know nothing foreign has been soldered to the motherboard (which is the #1 cause for a FRAG), I go right for finding out the Xbox version for future reference. I used this:

http://www.xbox-scen.../versions_1.php

According to the pretty pictures, I probably have a v1.4 (manufacturing date is 2003 08 07.) I don't have a multimeter handy, so I can't confirm that. Bah. Ah, better guide:

http://www.xbox-linu..._Versions_HOWTO

Okay, my Xbox was made in Taiwan, week 34 of 2003. That makes it a v1.4. Okay. That tell anybody why it's fucked? No? Yes?

Moving on:

Just for shits n' giggles, I took out the old, original hard drive from my softmodded Xbox and plugged it into this uncooperative little baby...

Hey, Xbox logo!

Ooooh, error number 7 - HD timeout:

http://www.xbox-scen.../errorcodes.php

Predictable, really. But it started up. I got picture.

I plugged back in the original HD and waited an hour. Hey, it started up again! Oooh, the screen went all funny (static, blue dots) after five minutes. Restarted it, and we're back to the Xmas tree.

So far, anybody got any ideas what's wrong with it? Anything In particular I should check for?

#2 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 08 November 2005 - 06:40 PM

hmm, thats alot of diferent errors, points to TSOP, IDE controller and GPU, id say it might even be MCPX failure, with all those different issues its probably terminal

if nothing else try installing a modchip, that might be able to bypass a few of the problems and maybe shed some light on the root of the issue

#3 Woobus

Woobus

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 07:29 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking about a modchip. I got one a while back when I was thinking about doing a hardmod - but I don't even know if I still have it. Before I sink $50 or so into a chip that may or may not solve the problem, I'll try some other things.

Okay, then - little update:

At one point, the Xbox came back to life. I figured I'd strike while the iron was hot and try to get the Xbox backed up and shoot the backup over to my PC. This way, at least my buddy will have his game saves recovered.

I took the softmod installer for MechAssault that I got from the usual places and shot it into the Xbox with my Action Replay card. It started up just fine. I ran the backup, no problem. FTP wouldn't connect. Okay, I'm thinking I should restart the Xbox, seeif FTP will kick in....

...and we're back to a flashing red/green frag. And now Mechassault is trapped in the DVD player.

Dangit!

So - next, I'll try replacing the IDE cable. That's the easiest thing.

I hope I don't have to plug the DVD player from the bad Xbox into my good Xbox just to get Mechassault outta there. That'd kinda suck.

#4 Romps

Romps

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 November 2005 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE(Woobus @ Nov 8 2005, 07:36 PM)
I hope I don't have to plug the DVD player from the bad Xbox into my good Xbox just to get Mechassault outta there.  That'd kinda suck.

View Post

If u look at the front og your xbox under the dvd tray where the front facia is curved in middle u will see a small hole
stick somet in there to manually eject the tray

#5 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 08 November 2005 - 07:56 PM

Before I sink $50 or so into a chip that may or may not solve the problem, I'll try some other things.

dont buy a 50 dollar chip, get a 10 dollar one, they are just as good

#6 Woobus

Woobus

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 09:08 PM

Thanks, Romps!

lordvader, as for a $10 chip... I have no experience with a soldering iron, so I'd be more inclined to go solderless. Seems that drives the price up a bit, from what I've seen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users