#1 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:50 PM

after them announcing to keep the same online format as the ps2 (meaning none at all) nothing would surprise me anymore about the company. if true not only would this be bad for sony but other businesses as well, including rental places (blockbusters and hollywood videos) and game stores who sell used games. again i doubt this will really come true but if so then why would sony bother releasing the damn grill?....

The latest rumor, generated from several patent sites, claims that Sony has secured a patent for a disk technology that prevents the use of used, as well as pirated, software. From the registered patent description:

”A device and method for protection of legitimate software against used software and counterfeit software in recording media… A specific title code is read, and if this title code has been registered, the main unit shifts to a normal operation. If the code has not been registered, verification software is initiated… If matching does not occur, the disk is processed as illegitimate software… Since only titles for which legitimate software has actually been purchased and which have been initially registered in the machine table can be used, resale (so-called used software purchase) after purchase by an end-user becomes practically impossible.”

Does Sony plan to employ this technology in the PlayStation 3? Not likely. If so, PS3 owners would not be able to rent (used) games or borrow their friends’ games—or even purchase used games! Sure, the technology could be used for Blu-Ray movies, but for games? It just won’t go down like that… right?

http://www.joystiq.com/

http://www.gamerandy...ation_3_t.shtml

Edited by KAGE360, 08 November 2005 - 11:56 PM.

#2 mikedavis2838

mikedavis2838

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 12:02 AM

Couldn't that be applied to any blueray disk? like those that will be used in a pc. I remember MS saying something about sony being too restrictive with copy protection.

Edited by mikedavis2838, 09 November 2005 - 12:06 AM.

#3 Carlo210

Carlo210

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 09 November 2005 - 12:05 AM

Burn, baby burn.
Disco inferno!
Burn, baby burn.

etc etc

#4 malignantmartyr

malignantmartyr

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 12:12 AM

doesnt that make rental of ps3 games obsolete all together considering its nearly the same as playing a used game.

#5 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 12:15 AM

QUOTE(malignantmartyr @ Nov 8 2005, 06:19 PM)
doesnt that make rental of ps3 games obsolete all together considering its nearly the same as playing a used game.

View Post

yes that is why i said it would effect blockbusters and hollywood videos (as well as other smaller chains)

also though i just realized that if this is true then that would also effect rental and used stores with Blue ray movies as well not just games. sony would eliminate all rental and used revenues in general of anything that uses blue-ray.

#6 CattyKid

CattyKid

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,617 posts
  • Interests:Everything
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 November 2005 - 12:22 AM

This can't, won't, happen for anything BUT software (not PS3 software, computer). They cannot be that dumb. That means I can't take my copy of a Streetcar named Desire over to Tommy's house and watch it? No.

#7 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 01:19 AM

QUOTE(CattyKid @ Nov 8 2005, 06:29 PM)
This can't, won't, happen for anything BUT software (not PS3 software, computer).  They cannot be that dumb.  That means I can't take my copy of a Streetcar named Desire over to Tommy's house and watch it?  No.

View Post

i wouldnt underestimate how nieve and cocky sony is. remember at the IGN Live event the discussion of developers, mark rein of epic studios said something about the protection on the blue ray requiring you to have a certain TVs just to watch movies (dont remember what it is exactly im in class at the moment so i cant check the vid at the moment). sony has been touting lately how they will evolve and connect the "HD Era" with all sorts of devises, im sure they were only talking about their products as they said that the Cell chip would play a big role in that HD push.

#8 AnC

AnC

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE(KAGE360 @ Nov 9 2005, 12:26 AM)
i wouldnt underestimate how nieve and cocky sony is.  remember at the IGN Live event the discussion of developers, mark rein of epic studios said something about the protection on the blue ray requiring you to have a certain TVs just to watch movies (dont remember what it is exactly im in class at the moment so i cant check the vid at the moment).  sony has been touting lately how they will evolve and connect the "HD Era" with all sorts of devises, im sure they were only talking about their products as they said that the Cell chip would play a big role in that HD push.

View Post

the part about the Tv's is in fact true, in order to play HD Dvd's from Blu-ray you need a tv that is compliant with HDCP, this is not HDMI (which is just a digital picture with sound as opposed to DVI which is Video only), but will require a tv that can accept both DVI and has the HDCP chip/software on board.
i also believe Toshiba's HD-DvD might also have this same Hdcp requirement *not 100% on it), Sky's HD service that is launching next year in the UK is also rumoured to require hdcp aswell..

surely this can only lead to Failure on a massive scale for sony and the like, the is Copy protection gone mad and ends in ultimate frustration for the consumer and another challenge for the pirates to overcome (which they likely will).

#9 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 02:12 AM

the more i think about this rumor the more i think it cant possibly be true because it would screw sooo many things up. if your ps3 breaks (wouldnt be surprised) then how are you supposed to play your games on your replacement ps3? if all this protection was done through networks then i guess you could call sony to release your games (similar to PSO on the DC) but with sony's announcement that there will be no unified server it doesnt seem feasable. not only that but that would leave all those without online in the cold. every time i think of how this cant be true, i keep telling myself its sony and usually thats all thats needed to be said. tongue.gif

sony could be so proud to think that this could help developers if they need to re-buy their games for their new system, but i dont think even the zombies would eat that one up. lol a part hopes its not true because that would kill sony off too easily (they will already limit their install base somewhat by that HDCP requirement) and i want to see a good fight this coming gen. beerchug.gif

Edited by KAGE360, 09 November 2005 - 02:13 AM.

#10 Dark_Neo

Dark_Neo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Web Design, Programming
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 09 November 2005 - 02:32 AM

I don't think Sony could possibly be that stupid...they can't expect everyone who buys a PS3 to have an internet connection? I know two people personally who are determined to get one but don't have an internet connection. And that's the only real way to check if the disk has been used, unless they find some way of altering the disk itself. I know Sony is rather cocky, but I would like to believe they have a collective IQ that can at least rival household bacteria.

#11 mathias

mathias

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 02:37 AM

makes me think O well dvds look good enough smile.gif

#12 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 02:38 AM

QUOTE(Dark_Neo @ Nov 8 2005, 08:39 PM)
I don't think Sony could possibly be that stupid...they can't expect everyone who buys a PS3 to have an internet connection? I know two people personally who are determined to get one but don't have an internet connection. And that's the only real way to check if the disk has been used, unless they find some way of altering the disk itself. I know Sony is rather cocky, but I would like to believe they have a collective IQ that can at least rival household bacteria.

View Post

i dont know, im sure you have read about the rescent announcement of them not using any kind of unified online architecture. especially after announcing "playstation world" back at E3, thats pretty stupid to me. IF this is incorperated in their Blue-ray players then a part of the protection will have to be in the ps3 as it will be their premier Blue-ray player.

#13 Kernal69er

Kernal69er

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 02:54 AM

QUOTE(KAGE360 @ Nov 8 2005, 06:57 PM)
after them announcing to keep the same online format as the ps2 (meaning none at all) nothing would surprise me anymore about the company.  if true not only would this be bad for sony but other businesses as well, including rental places (blockbusters and hollywood videos) and game stores who sell used games.  again i doubt this will really come true but if so then why would sony bother releasing the damn grill?....
http://www.joystiq.com/

http://www.gamerandy...ation_3_t.shtml

View Post

Sony will not do this, because Developers will not support them. For the simple reason of sales. Places like Blockbuster and other rental places buy games in bulk some even allot more than you and me,,, if Sony does this there will be no more rentals and allot of loss

#14 guidop

guidop

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 03:56 AM

this has to be the dumbest thing i have ever heard, sony so smart, even if they don't have this in the ps3. blu-ray movies- what happens when you buy a new player or you sister wants to watch it on her blu-ray player

actually sony should put it in the ps3 and all their other products, great move sony wink.gif

Edited by guidop, 09 November 2005 - 04:03 AM.

#15 Moleman

Moleman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 04:30 AM

Sony's already headed downhill, this would be the nail in their coffin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users