8 replies to this topic

#1 MothXz

MothXz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 05:53 AM

I have been looking at the tutorials and it's getting me confused being I'm new to soldering. I have the Xecuter Lite and question is what do I touch the soldering iron with? Do I place it on the holes on the motherboard and wait for those holes to melt and then place the wire on top of it and let it dry? I saw this method on one of the tutorials and if this is correct, then where does the solder come in? Or, do I put some solder on the iron and then place it on the motherboard along with the wire? I don't know what the correct procedure is. I need some help. Anyone out there that has pics or step by step instructions. Thanks in advance.

#2 DaShiZNiT

DaShiZNiT

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 April 2003 - 06:44 AM

Hi there, i would do just as you suggested...

Heat up the solder-filled holes and dip your wire in there, it will cool and stay. As for d0, the REALLY difficult part, i would 'tin' the wire by adding some of your own solder and letting it dry, then stick it in that tiny little hole, then heat the wire, the solder will melt, and stick into place.

YOU DONT NEED MUCH on d0
also the underside d0 is relatively easier, you just need to make the grey wire longer and youll have to take out the MB, naturally...
Good Luck and have fun!

#3 MothXz

MothXz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 08:13 AM

Just to be clear, the silver holes on the motherboard that the wires are supposed to be placed on are already filled with solder? In other words, the only time that I will have to use my own solder is for the d0?

#4 Byrdclaw

Byrdclaw

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 12:07 PM

If you are installing via a wire method then yes, the only time you will need your own solder is for the d0 point.

If you happened to get an xbox without filled LPC holes then you'd need to use solder there too, but since it sounds like you have filled holes, then it's just a simple point of heating the solder up, sticking the wire in, and taking the iron away while holding the wire in place to allow cooling.

And really, the d0 point isn't that hard. It might take a couple try's, but once you get it good, it's fine. tin the wire and leave a small tail on the side of it. like 1 or 2 millimeters.. really tiny. then just put the point of the tail on the d0 point, heat the WIRE up by placing the iron near where the insulation begins. It might take a few seconds for the wire to get hot enough to melt the solder at the end, but this is the safest method and it keeps the iron off of the motherboard.

#5 MothXz

MothXz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 10:32 PM

I've seen the tutorials and they say to use lead free solder. Do you have to use lead free or can you use lead solder? I bought High-Tech Rosin-Core Silver-Bearing Solder .022 dia. thinking it was lead free until I read the very fine print on the back. So can I use this solder or not?

#6 jsonfield

jsonfield

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 22 April 2003 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (MothXz @ Apr 16 2003, 11:32 PM)
I've seen the tutorials and they say to use lead free solder.  Do you have to use lead free or can you use lead solder?  I bought High-Tech Rosin-Core Silver-Bearing Solder .022 dia. thinking it was lead free until I read the very fine print on the back.  So can I use this solder or not?

HI, Scene

I'm moding my x[BoX} at this very moment and I just got back from radioshack & homedepot thinking im ready to begin when I look at the Tutorials and one says.....

1. (STEMS-METHOD) to use 0.022 high tech rosin core silver bering solder AND one says
to use....

2. (Microelectronics PCB Soldering or, The Idiot's Guide to Attaching a Modchip) 0.032" Diameter Lead-Free Solder.

I bought no# 1. and my flux says to use it with leadfree solder?

Will someone please:uhh: clear this Up and maybe fix the tutorials if needed.

I searched for __lead solder__ and it brought me here.

Thank you. Fast reply would be nice. but doughtfull(5 sec after i post would be nice biggrin.gif )

#7 crawl

crawl

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 07:44 PM

I don't think the type of solder has too much to do with it, although the smaller diameter solder is 50X easier when working with those small holes. Both types are conductive, which is the main purpose.

In a few cases it was very helpful to cut the solder into a very small nugget and put it on top of the hole you're trying to fill.

#8 smakudwn

smakudwn

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 07:52 PM

he solder is fine.......as long as its not plumbers solder you will do just fine.

get a magifying glass to look at the bord and make sure you dont lift any trace.

dont hold the iron on thier too long.

if it isnt working pull the iron away and let the mb cool off before you try it again.

keep a stedy hand and you will be alright,

#9 Booker T

Booker T

X-S Genius

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 26 April 2003 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (DaShiZNiT @ Apr 16 2003, 08:44 AM)
Hi there, i would do just as you suggested...

Heat up the solder-filled holes and dip your wire in there, it will cool and stay. As for d0, the REALLY difficult part, i would 'tin' the wire by adding some of your own solder and letting it dry, then stick it in that tiny little hole, then heat the wire, the solder will melt, and stick into place.

YOU DONT NEED MUCH on d0
also the underside d0 is relatively easier, you just need to make the grey wire longer and youll have to take out the MB, naturally...
Good Luck and have fun!

want that hurt the motherboard, heating the soldering in the holes on the mobo?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users