4 replies to this topic

#1 Bucker

Bucker

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 11:15 AM

Hello all,

This is my first post but I have been a reader here for a bout 3 weeks. I just started on the scene and have successfully modded 2 Xboxes the past couple of weeks with a third one waiting on a chip.

I decided to post because I hope to share my information to help others learn and I hope to continue to learn as well. I have found modding the Xbox not to be hard at all. I do work in the computer industry so I guess I am just not afraid of it. I had different problems with both boxes that I modded so here are a few things that might answer some questions. I noticed alot of people with these problems.

Xbox not booting with error code 13 or 16.

1. Error code 16 - This of course means that the xbox is not finding a bootable drive. I noticed alot of people getting this and also stating that the Xbox would neither boot from the DvD or the hard drive. Well, after racking my brain with same problem I found the issue to be simple. Notice there is no battery on the motherboard. This is the problem, your Xbox needs its clock to be set. Somehow, the Xbox knows to boot the M$ dashboard off the hard drive to set the clock.

YOU CAN SCREW YOURSELF ON THIS ONE! I recommend to every single new modder out there to not screw with your original retail drive. Dont be cheap, go out and buy a new hard drive... you will be happier in the long run anyway. In order to fix this problem, you need to put in your original drive with the M$dashboard or you need to put in an upgraded drive that has the M$ dashboard on it. If you do not have a drive with the original M$ dashboard, you obviously need to find one. All it takes is to boot the Xbox with this drive one time, remove it, and put your new/old drive back in and boot from DvD. (You can leave the power plugged into the Xbox while switching the drives if you wish, just be careful.)

2. Error code 13 - I noticed a few people with this error code popping up. This error just means that the dashboard cannot be booted. If you are using a X2 Pro with 4976.02, it will support booting from multiple dashboard names and I know this error made no sense since the majority of you were saying your dashboards were named correctly etc. The thing most of you had in common was that you were using Slayer's auto install disk. I booted with Slayer's disc, formatted, copied over Evox and it still would not boot (saw 4 people with this exact problem). Well, after booting with the disc and using FTP, I noticed that there were no dashboard files being written to my drive by Slayer's disc at all. I have no explanation for this. I created a new disc, same problem, and the disc worked fine in another box. Well, no problem here. Just boot with the disc and use FTP to send over your dashboard to the C drive.

Note: Slayer's disc is great and I think that it is a brilliant idea to have everything automated and put into one place for all the new guys. However, I highly recommend that you take the time to understand the file structure of your Xbox and get to know what is what on there, automation is sometimes not the key, especially when troubleshooting.

Take care all. I will be around hoping I can help someone. I do have one question though. What the hell does TSOP stand for? I cant find it anywhere. Peace.

#2 Bucker

Bucker

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 04:35 PM

uhh.gif

#3 jflex

jflex

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 08:46 PM

*bump*

Good post.

#4 gamingguru

gamingguru

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Interests:Xbox<br />programming<br />Racing cars
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 30 July 2003 - 09:22 PM

I think that it refers to the type of chip it is, like dip.

I think that it means thin small outline package.

#5 WodMan

WodMan

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 11:34 PM

What the hell does TSOP stand for?

Thin Small Outline Package

It refers to the layout of the chip itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users