X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:42 AM

Alright, storry first, question later

Got contacted by a xs newbe member who live close, wants me to look at his xbox and fix/finsh modding it for him. i say sure.

He comes over. It is a 1.6b box with a spidergx chip inside. it wont boot, no matter what mode the chip is in. funny frag, green for one second, red flashing for 2 seconds, flashing orange for 8 seconds then shuts off all by itself. tried different videoi cables and got the smae wierd frag flash order for the 4 different cables i tried, all work on my box.

open it up. here's where it gets good

The "friend" that helped put the chip in is a certifiable nut case. The chip is in correctly, but the external board was tapped to the inside. not only that, but what appears to be the 5v and additional ground cable (i havent delt with spiders before, and there manual is useless) has been pluged in, and the bare ends wrapped arround two of the leads of what i am guessing is the lcd contrast pot. AND neatly tapped to make sure good contact between the wires and contrast pot leads.

WTF mate?

so i completly remove the chip, and still get that odd frag boot showing.

I am very good at soldering, if anyone has any ideas what components on the mainboard are fried, i will replace them, but havent a clue what damage has been done.
Thanks

#2 red.bull.x

red.bull.x

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:reverse engineering, c, delphi, 32bit assembler, beer and video games.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 November 2005 - 09:07 AM

double post... meh.. love.gif

Edited by red.bull.x, 12 November 2005 - 09:21 AM.

#3 red.bull.x

red.bull.x

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:reverse engineering, c, delphi, 32bit assembler, beer and video games.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 November 2005 - 09:10 AM

Sounds like one of two things bro, either his 'friend' removed/lifted a trace that would explain the frag. or this 'friend' didnt install the chip correctly to begin with and fried something on the board. Have you tried checking the bottom of the board for bad traces? If a trace has been fux0r3d grab urself one of those nifty circuit pens from RadioShack they go for like 12 bucks or something... Anyhow very good investment.
Good Luck m8! beerchug.gif

btw, hit me up if you need some help send some pictures to red.bull.x@gmail.com

#4 FallsInc

FallsInc

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 12 November 2005 - 09:36 AM

shit

it would be easier to buy a new mobo and swap eeprom chip than it would be to even begin to know what damage he did.

thats what i suggest you do... buy a new mobo.. or rather.. he buys one, and you charge him 50 bucks to install the new one and the chip too.

#5 madsci1016

madsci1016

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:25 AM

thanks for the replies

red bull, thanks for the help, it is defintily a burned chip/compnent somewhere, as the messed up wiring job mentioned in my first post shows. he had the 5v wire and ground off the chip tied to the contrast pot leads, causing who knows what. i did a through sweep with a magnifying glass and couldnt catch anything. it was a solderless install, still, no evidence of a component knocked off somewhere.
thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users