7 replies to this topic

#1 sumguy

sumguy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 03:58 PM

hey guys i am hoping that someone here can help me. i have been using xbmc to watch movies streaming from the comp to xbox for a while now, and it has always worked great. no problems. yesterday, for no reason that i could tell it started asking for a user name and password. it wouldn't bug me so much except that no matter what i put for user/password it doesn't work. i did a complete reinstall of xbmc hoping it would go back to just open access, but no dice. so then i tried editing the xbmc xml file and was able to create new bookmarks with new paths and what not, but everyone of them still asked for a user/password. all of my movies are in the shared folder and not passworded or protected in any way. can someone tell me what i need to do to be able to watch these again without going through the u/p routine? it wouldn't bug me so much except that no matter what i put for user/password it doesn't work.

#2 sumguy

sumguy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:01 AM

bump

#3 Mshake

Mshake

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 10:12 AM

I have similar problems, was replying to another previous threads and searched forums @ xboxmediacenter.de forums as well.

Whilst there is a huge thread on this over there, i couldn't see any solution.

My problems ONLY comes in the My Pictures section for whatever reasons I have no idea.

Been trying to diagnose, reinstall, check xml files, changed shares (previously i was sharing root drives) to mapped networked drives/folders to no avail.

Everything else worked fantastically well ...i.e. all videos/music working well except for pictures where it constantly asked me for password.

What i can say is , it's not authentication/user rights issues, i have sorted that out long ago. Hope someone is looking into this..

There is however an official bug page over at sourceforge/xbmc i think on this issue but people are kinda sceptical as to this issue, whether it's an official bug or jus we are the bunch who messed up our config file hehee

#4 nirvana252

nirvana252

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 02:50 AM

only happens to me on MY Pictures also.. I just hit start and it goes on but than when i re enter it asks me again.....

#5 sumguy

sumguy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:50 PM

yeah it happens to me no matter what folder i try to go in. i am having a hard time believing that nobody out there can tell us what is wrong. cmon guys a little help here please.

#6 Mshake

Mshake

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 03:30 PM

hi guys,
did a little fiddling around after some tips from xboxmediacenter.de forums and i managed to solve the password asking in My Pictures that i was having initially.

Here is what i did.
I went to Settings --> My Videos --> Files ---> disable 'look for custom thumbnails on remote share'

This should work. This setting is also present in the My Music section, my problems seem to have gone away simply by unselecting this in My Videos only. Leaving this selection on in My Music did not seem to ask me for password.

But since you are having problems with all of your shares, try disabling/unselecting this option 'Look for custom thumbnails on remote share'. The wierd thing is, in My Pictures, i can't find any reference to this.

Further, if you are having problems with your samba sharing, keep in mind, the best way to ensure the network smb settings work is configuring it through the xbmc dash (settings--> network) and not the older xml editing.

I believe (may be wrong but unlikely i guess) you only need to edit the xml file provided you have a particular folder you want to share and not the root drive? in this case you may edit the xml file AFTER you configure the relevant ip/usrname/pwd in xbmc menu. XBMC looks here first and authenticate you with your server share and subsequently look into the bookmarks to find your share folder.

Transferring older xml to newer builds sometimes may work and sometimes may not. So it is best to spend some time figuring things out. That is why I was having problems last week and been pulling my hair trying to figure this out, my last stable built was 5-30-2005 and it is still the most stable one so far. I am using 14th November 2005 build as of now though. The DVD player still seems to be having minor problems. StarWars 3 seems to love locking up.

Hope you get your issue sorted out.

#7 LycoLoco

LycoLoco

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 01:05 AM

Also, just make sure that you're set to DHCP if you're behind a router. I had that problem when the setting got set to "Dashboard (Auto)" at one point.

#8 GhostDog__

GhostDog__

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 05:30 AM

QUOTE(Mshake @ Nov 17 2005, 03:37 PM)
hi guys,
did a little fiddling around after some tips from xboxmediacenter.de forums and i managed to solve the password asking in My Pictures that i was having initially.

Here is what i did.
I went to Settings --> My Videos --> Files ---> disable 'look for custom thumbnails on remote share'

View Post

This did the trick. I use custom thumbnails so this is not an ideal workaround. Too bad this option isn't under My Picutres in the Settings.

Edited by GhostDog__, 18 November 2005 - 05:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users