StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:08 AM

**Disclaimer: This description relates to previously unmodified xboxes, ver. 1.0-1.3, it could possibly also work to repair a failed or incorrect tsop flash, but I have not yet needed to try. When dealing with a ver 1.0 or 1.1, try the 3 wire trick before doing this. The "Focus" video encoder in versions 1.4-1.5 is not supported by this bios, so this method will not boot on those versions. If dealing with a ver 1.6, this will not help you at all as they do not contain a flashable bios. This is my own personal experience, your experience may vary.**

As you may know, if you repair xboxes, or are unlucky enough to have it happen to you, it is possible for a completely stock/unopened box to do the 3 boot frag. You press the power button, eject LED goes green for half a second then box turns off, light goes green again(possibly even flashes green a couple times), then box turns off again, when it powers back up a third time it flashes red and green....NICE. If a visual inspection of the motherboard shows nothing obviously wrong (un-modded, no burst capacitors, no burnt traces), then it is possible you have a corrupt bios on the TSOP. How does this happen?? I really dont know, could be due to lightning, static discharge...not sure, but anyway, there is a problem and it needs to be fixed.

In order to flash the tsop or a modchip, you must boot from the device you are flashing. So if you want to flash an LPC mounted modchip, you boot from the LPC bus, likewise if you want to flash the tsop - you must boot from the tsop. So how do you do this if the tsop is corrupt? You cant boot from the tsop, if you could you wouldnt even be fixing it.... Commonly it is stated that the only way to fix this is with a 29 wire modchip, like an Xray, which basically piggybacks/overrides the tsop to load a substitute bios in the same fashion as the original tsop would. Well 29 wires is a lot to hook up, just to have to cut out again in order to flash. I will explain how to do this with a Doux2 lpc modchip. Ya I know I already said that you must boot from the tsop to flash the tsop, but i will expalin in a bit, how/why this works (if I can, it may just be some crazy voodoo shit)

Ok, so you have a ver 1.0-1.3 motherboard that FRAGs. Install a pinheader and d0 wire. I use a Duox2 because of the 2 switchable bios banks(and its easy to hold). Make sure you leave your d0 wire a little long.... about 4" to give you a bit of room. Boot the box with x2 4981(or whatever your preferred bios is, really doesnt matter but we want to just get the box to work). Make sure that your hdd has all the files required to operate normally, make sure hdd is locked etc, we dont want any error codes when we get it to boot. I do a format/m$ dash rebuild from an auto-installer disk to be sure all the required files are on the hdd. Now if you have an exploitable game like mechassault, then you should now install your game saves, like mecheurasia. I installed a soft mod at this point (krazies ndure) because when we get it to boot we really dont wanna risk having to eject and potentially reset the box, where we would need to start over again, but the choice is yours. Boot your box with the modchip a couple times to make sure every thing seems cool.

Now you need to locate a special bios to flash to your other bios bank on the duox2. It is an old bios by evox called "tsop_d6.bin", it was packed with an older version of evolutionx dash 3921. Xbins no longer hosts evox stuff, for reasons that are none of my business, so you will have to do some hunting to find it, DONT PM ME FOR IT!!! So put "tsop d6" on your duox2's other bank(figure out how to do that yourself) *Edit file is available on xbins once again.*

Make a Eurasia flash disk and a bios disk if you are using a soft mod, or make sure you have the right bios in your mecheurasia folder to flash to your tsop. I soldered a wire on my duox2 from the bt pad to pin 9 so the chip will always be enabled. Solder your tsop write enable points now as well if you havent already.

Basically what you now need to do is boot with d6. Put your exploitable game or eurasia flash disk in the drive(you wont be able to do this with the d6 bios as you cannot eject the tray so make sure you have it in before you switch bios banks). If you power on you will note that nothing happens, eject LED flashes green, harddrive clicks, dvd revs up and down....all sorts of weird stuff. What you try to accomplish is after about, 1 to 1.5 seconds, after you press the power button, you wanna pull the chip off the pinheader... it'll take you quite a few tries to get the timing right. A few things can happen, either it will continue to 3 boot frag-no good, you may get just a solid green LED with no audio/video-no good, you may get a flubber with a yellow X, or you may get just the regular M$ boot up. I am not sure if it will work when you get the yellow x as the time i got it to do that, I didnt have my flash enable points soldered on the motherboard, so not sure if the tsop or the chip would been flashed(eurasia said flash not writeable, well of course not the chip wasnt even on the pinheader, and the write points were disconnected) If you get the regular green x with M i c r o s o f t under the x, and your soft mod loads, or exploitable game loads(which you should have in the tray), you may now flash your tsop. I would advise you to flash it with x2 4981, even if you are just returning to retail (now you can reflash whatever you want back onto the tsop after this as it should always boot now without chip)

Why does it work, we booted from the lpc?? Well, not really sure, there is something special about the bios, and the fact that you interrupt the loading process of the bios, by pulling it off the pinheader... I guess a part of the hacked bios remains in ram, and it picks up the rest of it from the tsop, or it just delays the boot process to retry the bios load more times?? Maybe the code in the bios tells it to ignore the first # of kb and substitute its own. I dont have the answer....contact the evox team as they made the bios.

I have done this now on 3 different mobos with success, all were ver 1.2/1.3 Hope this helps someone fix a tsop, or at least gives them false hope....hahahah

Thanks to Lordvader129 for making me aware of this bios(I read it in one of his posts) And thanks to team evox for making such a thing.

*edit* clarification of versions, other updated info..

Edited by StrictPuppet, 29 January 2007 - 10:20 AM.

#2 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,751 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:45 AM

Now you need to locate a special bios to flash to your other bios bank on the duox2. It is an old bios by evox called "tsop_d6.bin", it was packed with an older version of evolutionx dash 3921. Xbins no longer hosts evox stuff, for reasons that are none of my business, so you will have to do some hunting to find it, DONT PM ME FOR IT!!! So put "tsop d6" on your duox2's other bank(figure out how to do that yourself)

actually xbins and evox appear to have made up and xbins is once again hosting evox stuff, including the TSOP d.6 bios, it can be found with the 3921 build of evox in the "old" folder on xbins

BTW this bios wont work for a 1.4/1.5, since d.6 did not have focus video support, not sure why evox never made a TSOP m7

#3 xbix

xbix

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 12:55 PM

It would be cool if this works. I nuked my TSOP (see my other post) and had already ordered a DuoX to get the box working again before I read this post.

Unfortunately I have a v1.4 box with the focus chip, does that mean I'm out of luck or just that we haven't yet found a BIOS that works in the same way as d6 but with focus support?

Peter

#4 jiggle

jiggle

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 02:16 PM

I have also killed my tsop. I flashed it with a 1mb evox_tsop.bin flash, everything had been good until then but I hadnt read that this flash was to fix a 1.0 tsop not a flash for a tsop(dumbass) was late. Anyway, I have an x2.6 ce chip installed on a pin header now and i can get it to boot with the tsop_d6 but the xbox logo is always yellow and blue and i cant reflash my tsop, I get ff ff instead of a chip id, if i plug my mod in i get the 09 00 write protected error. Anyone know why i cant get it to flash my tsop? the write enable points look ok still and it flashed fine before i got it with the wrong flash. Any ideas why i get the yellow and blue X? and it cant flash my tsop? thanks in advance and thanks for your great tutorial

Oh yeah its a 1.1 xbox

#5 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • 17,751 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE(jiggle @ Nov 15 2005, 06:23 AM)
I have also killed my tsop. I flashed it with a 1mb evox_tsop.bin flash, everything had been good until then but I hadnt read that this flash was to fix a 1.0 tsop not a flash for a tsop(dumbass) was late. Anyway, I have an x2.6 ce chip installed on a pin header now and i can get it to boot with the tsop_d6 but the xbox logo is always yellow and blue and i cant reflash my tsop, I get ff ff instead of a chip id, if i plug my mod in i get the 09 00 write protected error. Anyone know why i cant get it to flash my tsop? the write enable points look ok still and it flashed fine before i got it with the wrong flash. Any ideas why i get the yellow and blue X? and it cant flash my tsop? thanks in advance and thanks for your great tutorial

Oh yeah its a 1.1 xbox

View Post

im not sure if it will work for you, i know the bios requires at least some speck of bootable code on the TSOP, im not sure if it will work with the TSOP d.6 on the TSOP

Unfortunately I have a v1.4 box with the focus chip, does that mean I'm out of luck or just that we haven't yet found a BIOS that works in the same way as d6 but with focus support?

wont work, as it iwll just frag with modchip enabled as well, liek i said im not sure why evox didnt make a TSOP m7 for 1.4/1.5, but then again im not sure why they never added the full-chip erase command to evox to flash winbonds, lol

#6 jiggle

jiggle

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 07:10 PM

I can get it to boot after 6 or 700 attempts at removing the chip in time, it boots to a blue & yellow X then runs the disk, i have run the eurasia flash disk, an auto installer disk and splinter cell, but every time I go to flash the tsop i get error, manf ff dev ff, the write enable points are good. I would try the 29 wire trick but I dont wanna do all that to find my tsop still wont flash. A few times its booted with no disk in to evox but same flash error. Any ideas how I might get it do boot to a green X? Instead of the blue and yellow one. Thanks again

#7 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 04:39 AM

QUOTE(jiggle @ Nov 15 2005, 09:17 AM)
I can get it to boot after 6 or 700 attempts at removing the chip in time, it boots to a blue & yellow X then runs the disk, i have run the eurasia flash disk, an auto installer disk and splinter cell, but every time I go to flash the tsop i get error, manf ff dev ff, the write enable points are good. I would try the 29 wire trick but I dont wanna do all that to find my tsop still wont flash. A few times its booted with no disk in to evox but same flash error. Any ideas how I might get it do boot to a green X? Instead of the blue and yellow one. Thanks again

View Post

Since you have the d6 tsop bios already on the tsop.... if some how you could get it to boot without a chip @ all, you should be able to flash....this is a long shot, but you could try momentarily grounding the d0 wire on boot (with no chip on the pinheader) and remove it from ground in a simular manner as removing the chip...it may force a boot of the d6 that is on the tsop.......It seems that when you get the yellow x...it has booted from the lpc and therefore wants to flash the lpc.... but if you get a yellow x with no chip...It must come from the tsop, and allow a tsop flash..... I may be totally wrong though, hahahah, good luck.

Edited by StrictPuppet, 16 November 2005 - 04:46 AM.

#8 jiggle

jiggle

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 01:07 PM

Hi, thank you for your idea. I tried it last night but had no luck sad.gif I remembered my tsop has the older evox_tsop_matrix flash on it not the d6 one. With no chip in it the power light just blinks, 3 times then frags. Gutted. I think im gonna try the 29 wire trick today. My xbox is fine with the chip on but knowing it wont work without it bugs me. Thanks for all your help

#9 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 06:09 AM

I received a few Pm's from people who didnt quite understand the procedure... so here it is very simply.

1) solder flash enble points and install pinheader & d0 wire
2) turn on box with "d6_tsop" bios on modchip, installed on pinheader
3)approx 1-1.5 seconds after turning the box on, disable or remove modchip
4) when it boots up with a green x flubber....flash tsop

Hopefully that clarifies...

#10 Safrole

Safrole

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 08:05 PM

Is there an alternative to yanking the chip off the pin header? I opted to install a miniature forest of wires on my Duox2 because the board's lpc holes were filled with solder. Is there a wire I can "clip" at the necessary time, and if so which one?

Does this have anything to do with the a15 mystery I've been pondering? Sorry to bring that up if it's only germane to the Matrix chip. If it can be applicable to the Duox2, what action specifically does one take?

TX

#11 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • 17,751 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:50 PM

in theory disconnecting d.0 should produce the same result with the TSOP d.6 bios

using the TSOP d.6 bios i dont believe a15 is required for anything, using the older TSOP.matrix bios you had to ground it

#12 natasreficul

natasreficul

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 07:43 PM

Well i have a big problem with my Xbox a logn time ago ,i edit X2.5035 with xbtool and rezide it to 256k damn!
then im so stupid i flash it to my xbox and Boom you know whats happend Next sad.gif my xbox gone Frag,well my question is if a get and duox2 i can fix my xbox 1.3? i wanna playy!! is hard to be without box!!

sorry for my Super Bad english...

Thanx if you can help me if not, thanx anyway sad.gif smile.gif

#13 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • 17,751 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 10:10 PM

youd need a 29-wire chip to fix the TSOP

HOWEVER, if you install a duox2 you will be able to boot your xbox, you wont be able to disable or remove the chip, but youll at least have your xbox back

#14 natasreficul

natasreficul

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:45 PM

if posible to fix it with a white duox flash bios edition??

#15 minnow

minnow

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:11 PM

Fix it, no. But a duox2 will fix the box. . . all for $15. It will allow you to do everything but XB Live, since your TSOP is corrupt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users