• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Woody_09

Woody_09

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:07 PM

first a disclaimer i am new to this forum, so please be patient with me. i have tried to find any answer to my problem already but everything keeps directing me here. also i am not sure if i am posting in the right place so if i am not again i apologize.

now on to my problem. i have had my xbox now for about a year...i am some what familar with the software side of the xbox, however when it comes to fixing a hardware problem it appears that i am useless. now when i boot up the xbox a kind of grinding noise also starts up. it started by only happening every once in awhile (like once every couple of weeks) but now happens almost nearly every time i try to start the xbox up. i initally feared the worst thinking it may be the hard drive grinding, but i dont think thats the problem but am not sure. so i decided to take the xbox apart and try and clean the dust out of the fans, i spayed with a can of compressed air and used a tank vacum to get the dust out, but it didnt help. now the sound to me sounds like if your faceing the front of the xbox its coming from the left side, but again i am having a hard time decfifering exactly where its coming from. could the fan on the cpu be making a loud noise..???

well i think that about describes my problem...if anyone could help me i would appriciate it...or point me somewhere where this question has already been answered. thanks!!

chris

#2 slingshot2170

slingshot2170

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Interests:Biology, chemistry, science, electrical engineering
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:10 PM

It's the DVD drive. Don't worry about it. Mine does it too, and my Xbox has been alive for well over 4 years. It's even been through two other owners. So I wouldn't really worry about it at all. It's just that the drive gets dirty afterawhile and the gears are moving the laser up and down searching for a drive. It's nothing to worry about, just get used to the noise.

#3 Woody_09

Woody_09

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:27 PM

great thanks for the fast reply but i am not sure if thats the answer. upon reading your response i tried disconnecting the ide cable and yellow cable from the dvd drive (thinking if the dvd was the problem there shouldnt be any noise). however, when i started the xbox up again the noise was still there despite having disconnected the the ide cable and yellow cable. so thanks again but i think it could be something else..

any other ideas would be great!!

#4 slingshot2170

slingshot2170

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:31 PM

could be a loose screw.
maybe evil gnomes.
you could do the typical troubleshooting method. take everything out of the xbox, except the motherboard. (unplug fan, harddrive, dvd)
see if the sound is still happening.
if it does, it's something on your motherboard.
from there, i'm not sure how to fix it.
if it's not, keep adding components until you get the sound. then you have your noisemaker! sorry my last post wasnt too much help.

#5 Woody_09

Woody_09

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:33 PM

great thanks ill try that and let you know what the culprit is....those gnomes are tricky...

#6 Woody_09

Woody_09

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:46 PM

ok so i have definatly found the source of the problem, its the little fan on the motherboard that is over the cpu..does anyone know how to fix these...or where to go to replace one..? does anyone have any information on this piece..? thanks

#7 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,412 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:50 PM

That would be the GPU fan and you have a 1.0 Motherboard.

You can get a replacement 40mm fan here.

My personal favorite is the blue LED one, but it's only useful if you have a clear case so you can see it. Anyway, get one of those fans & use a little bit of thermal adhesive (glue) or epoxy to stick it onto your heatsink. These replacement fans last much longer and are quieter than the stock fan.

#8 slingshot2170

slingshot2170

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE(Alex548 @ Nov 17 2005, 11:57 PM)
That would be the GPU fan and you have a 1.0 Motherboard.

You can get a replacement 40mm fan here.

My personal favorite is the blue LED one, but it's only useful if you have a clear case so you can see it. Anyway, get one of those fans & use a little bit of thermal adhesive (glue) or epoxy to stick it onto your heatsink. These replacement fans last much longer and are quieter than the stock fan.

View Post

I just did research on stock fan and FrozenCPUs fan. The stock fan runs slower (4800 RPM), but has a higher airflow (5.7 cfm), and a much lower noise rating (20.0 dBA). The Frozen CPU fan has a speed of 5000 rpm, an airflow of only 5.34 cfm, but a noise rating of 27.3 dBA. All in all, it'll still keep you cool, but it'll be slightly louder, although it'll last much longer and will look a lot nicer.

#9 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:56 PM

I actually use those LED fans on several xboxes and they don't sound loud at all (despite the ratings)... and they're definitely quieter than a worn out stock fan.

EDIT: Those ratings are also a bit deceiving since those ratings are for a fan running at 12V. Stock xbox fan is running much slower than that (only 20% of it's maximum speed).

Edited by Alex548, 17 November 2005 - 11:57 PM.

#10 Woody_09

Woody_09

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:58 PM

right its the fan on the gpu...so replacing the fan should in theory get ride of the noise...again i am not very familar with the hardware would there be anything else in the gpu that could be making that noise...?? how hard of a job is it to replace and what tools are needed..? thanks

#11 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 12:02 AM

There's 4 screws holding the fan onto the GPU. A precision screwdriver will remove it without any problems.

You can replace it with another stock fan or one of the fans I mentioned in a previous post.

If you don't want to deal with fans at all, then buy an xbox heatsink without the fan. Only the 1.0 xboxes had that fan. All other versions have a taller heatsink with cooling fins.

#12 Woody_09

Woody_09

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 12:05 AM

great thanks for your help, you guys have been awsome!!! i will get on replacing that fan here asap and will let you know how it goes...thanks again!!

#13 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 12:11 AM

Here's a link to the llamma's website. His prices are a bit high, but you only need a small part anyway.

You can get either a replacement heatsink w/fan or the other one. Just scroll down the page I linked you to and you'll see both options.

If you replace the entire thing... you'll need to add some thermal paste (so don't forget to buy some).

#14 slingshot2170

slingshot2170

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 12:16 AM

I hadn't had any experience with either of the fans, so thanks for correcting me Alex548. And yes, that is logical, since the FrozenCPU are running at 12v, and the GPU fan is only running at 3.3V I believe. Having gone through two different Xboxes, I prefer the fan to the heatsink. It may be louder, but I've found that the fan keeps my GPU and the rest of my motherboard cooler. Could just be me though. Replacing the fan is fairly simple though.

#15 Woody_09

Woody_09

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 12:20 AM

do you think i just need to replace the fan or replace the heatsink and fan??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users