zilli0n

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:48 PM

Although I have yet to run into any heat related issues on my console, if I did I would surely attempt to upgrade the thermal paste, run out to CompUSA or Fry's and get some arctic silver 5. I am curious if anyone has attempted this and seen results ? I am thinking about doing this to mine although ATM I dont have any problems with it so really dont feel the need to open the case to do so.

#2 MicroMods

MicroMods

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 26 November 2005 - 05:46 AM

Not a bad idea.. There seems to be a ton of thermal grease on the CPUs in the Anandtech article.

Artic Silver 5 alone with the appropriate amount and spread could clear up some Overheating issues.

Just a thought.

#3 Anrchy011

Anrchy011

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 05:50 AM

can someone please explain exactly how arctic silver is used, such as where do you put it, does it have a huge effect on temp, and also could it mess w/ anything inside the 360. im assuming it cant mess w/ it cause its made for that but you never know

#4 jer2eydevil88

jer2eydevil88

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 06:57 AM

Maybe its just me but wouldn't this void your warranty and kinda leave you in the red if something else breaks?

Still if Andantech or another "review site" were to test this theory for us end users it would be neat to see the results.

#5 thejt

thejt

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 26 November 2005 - 12:53 PM

Also.. Im not 100% sure yet because I havent popped the heatsinks myself but from the pictures Ive seen it looks like they are already using some high quality silver type heatsink compound. But again.. havent seen it for myself.

#6 zilli0n

zilli0n

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 03:28 PM

Thats what I thought, although they dont have any type of fan or heatsink on the southbridge which I am sure gets pretty warm.

#7 TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 30 November 2005 - 04:54 PM

Arctic Silver is used because of it's high heat transfer capability, just a small dab of AS3 or AS5 does the trick, if you glob too much on it'll actually hinder the transfer causing things to overheat. If you follow the instructions it'll work just fine. I would hold off doing it though, for warrenty reasons

#8 zilli0n

zilli0n

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 05:00 PM

Here is what BCfosheezy said about upgrading his...

Yes I cleaned it all off and on the cpu it looks almost identical to AS5 but it is like cement. It's hardened or something. The GPU is really the area that needs attention. The heatsink has the same AS-like compound on it but that compound is used to transfer heat to an aluminum pad. Then the pad touches the die with no compound at all. Just aluminum foil type stuff. It's best to pull that off there and just use your AS5.

I have some RAM Heatsinks coming in from newegg shortly which wont make a whirl of a diffrence, but provide some addition cooling. Im a nut on this stuff.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835110108

#9 NoFear1488

NoFear1488

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 30 November 2005 - 05:59 PM

Let us know if those heatsinks work. I wanna get some too .

#10 C o s m o

C o s m o

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Interests:The Shocker, mudbutt, luge lessons, buggery.

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE(Anrchy011 @ Nov 25 2005, 10:57 PM) View Post

can someone please explain exactly how arctic silver is used, such as where do you put it, does it have a huge effect on temp, and also could it mess w/ anything inside the 360. im assuming it cant mess w/ it cause its made for that but you never know

You apply a BB sized amount in the center of the CPU die, then set the heatsink on it, twist it both directions, and clamp down the heatsink.
It had a 7degree Centigrade (from 32 down to 25) affect on my 3.0GHZ P4 hyperthreader. It definately works well.
It is well suited for the 360.

Edited by C o s m o, 30 November 2005 - 08:30 PM.

#11 cobra2002

cobra2002

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 28 December 2005 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE(Anrchy011 @ Nov 26 2005, 06:57 AM) View Post

It works by filling in any imperfections in the sitting of the heatsink onto the cpu die, ie any small pits on the surface of the heatsink would stop that part of the heatsink making a good contact, the arctic silver will fill these pits etc, and allow near perfect heat tranfer from the cpu to the heatsink.

#12 G0t M4xx 21

G0t M4xx 21

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 28 December 2005 - 07:55 PM

I put AS5 on the CPU and GPU on mine. No overheating issues, and I can feel the heatsink itself heat up very fast after turning the 360 on (indicating very good heat transfer to the 'sink). I also put a heatsink on the southbridge (It's just a ram heatsink):

IPB Image

Edited by G0t M4xx 21, 28 December 2005 - 07:56 PM.

#13 jagermike

jagermike

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:52 AM

Ac5 works great
i also mad my own heats for the ram and southbride out of a radeon 9600 heatsink
wrorks great
my 2 new fans also helped out

Edited by jagermike, 29 December 2005 - 12:53 AM.

#14 Winberg

Winberg

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:56 AM

i did this mod as well but i put 5 heat sinks in the AS5
IPB Image

#15 zilli0n

zilli0n

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 02:12 AM

Wow, thats a lot of heatsinks on unnessary parts... lol. I would never think of putting a GDDR3 RAM Heatsink on any of those components, other than the RAM itself, let alone the TSOP? Not saying you can't do it, just doesnt appear proper in my opinion. I did however put a heatsink on my Southbridge, which is the same one I placed on my XBOX1 Southbridge which can be seen here... I think alot of people jumped on the ball a bit much with this.. especially with the other Heatsink next to the fans. I give Winberg an acknowledgement of his determination to have every mod done with the XBOX1 over again with the 360, but theres just too much going on, like a kid stuffing his mouth full of food. Cheers to your efforts though.

IPB Image

Edited by zilli0n, 29 December 2005 - 02:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users