X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:14 PM

Hey Peeps

Just bought two Xbox 360 Core Bundles from Futureshop here in Canada.

One of them always crashes while loading games, but plays DVD movies fine.

Anyone else have a defective console??

jROC

#2 fathom7411

fathom7411

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:22 PM

actually just picked mine up from best buy brought it home put in some need for speed played it for i dont know about 10 minutes and in the middle of a race it just hung and the screeen scrambled. so i shut the system off and ejected the disc and seen that now my brand new game is completely scratched with like 6-7 rings all the way around. so yeah i am pissed. anyone else have this problem?

#3 Martog

Martog

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:53 PM

I am getting "E 74" error code on my 360 and the top right light on the circle is flashing red, cannot get through to tech support as they are overloaded right now.

#4 JeffPinkston

JeffPinkston

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:16 PM

I got to play PDZ for under five minutes before my 360 froze. When/if I turn it back on with or without game inserted I get red lights in sectors 1,3, and 4. I called MS and was told this indicated a hardware failure. After the brilliant tech support told me I should just restart it and call back if it happened again, I was afraid we would get nowhere fast. I then explained that my 360 would not turn back on and was now only a $400 piece of plastic that blinked red lights at me. After some more miscommunication, he said he would schedule a repair man to come out and take a look when I called back with my serial number! Wow, MS does house calls. Before commiting to that though, I called the store where I purchased it and was told that fortunately, someone cancelled their preorder and they had an extra one they had not put out yet. So now for round two, hopefully just one in a million. I did have fun for the five minutes it worked!

#5 Neptune

Neptune

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:26 PM

for the guy with E74, disconnect the HDD then turn it back on...

#6 jROC99

jROC99

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:54 PM

JeffPinkston

Just curious where do you live... If MS is doing house calls I'll take them up on the offer..

Hey maybe a hot little chick will knock on my door... haha

jROC

Edited by jROC99, 22 November 2005 - 08:54 PM.

#7 trioptimumonline

trioptimumonline

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:27 PM

Yeah, I got a core at EBGames, thing was flashign red in all but one of the lights on front the first time I plugged it in, so I unplugged it and let it sit, plugged it back in, worked fine all night; now it's doing it 3/4 of the times I turn it on, and if I get it to start, it freezes up with vertical lines on the screen shortly afterwards.

On hold with MS support for 3 hours now. EBGames didn't have any spares to swap out and said it'd be awhile before they had another shipment. Damnit. Any ideas?

#8 JeffPinkston

JeffPinkston

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:33 PM

jROC99

I live in the middle of Missouri, but from what I gathered from talking to the support at 1 800 4MY XBOX and reading other forums, sending a repair man is the standard operating procedure. I even asked if it would be faster if I sent/took it somewhere, but since it was brand new he said they were doing house calls. Just tell them you have hardware failure and sectors 1,3, and 4 are flashing red. I don't know how far in the future the appointment will be. Fortunately, my store has a replacement so I am just going to get a new one.

#9 the_eternal_dark

the_eternal_dark

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:you're actually asking this??
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:42 PM

And these are some of the reasons I wait, among other things (inflated prices and over hype). Sounds like MS is having a lot of these errors and bugs (typical Micosoft problems). I'll stick with the original Xbox with xbmc for a while. I think I will wait until they release a 1.1 and when the price actually is $399, not the $600 or $700 most payed out for first launch problems.

#10 trioptimumonline

trioptimumonline

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:43 PM

I called 1-800-4-my-xbox, they said they would have to send a box out and I'd send it back to them, 2-4 weeks total turnaround, and they said they absolutely don't do housecalls, anywhere, so I don't know about that. EBGames says at least a week before they get another shipment and they won't refund this one. I'm outta luck and out of $800 worth of shit for a week or four. Damnit.

Edited by trioptimumonline, 22 November 2005 - 09:44 PM.

#11 deftonesmx17

deftonesmx17

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:none

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:57 PM

Version 1 PS2 anyone, I knew this would happen.

#12 KingGofG

KingGofG

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:09 PM

ugh 3 hours in playing COD2 and Amped3 and I go the black screen of death and now it won't recover.

I turned off the game with the contoller and now it won't start up (it goes straight to the black Error 74 screen)

Anyone have an Idea?

I have tried the following:
1. Restarting
2. Unplugging and replugging in everything
3. Removing the hard drive and starting without it
4. Restarting with and without a game in the console

I am going to call MS but I am not hopeful this wil get it fixed

#13 Martog

Martog

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE(Neptune @ Nov 22 2005, 03:33 PM)
for the guy with E74, disconnect the HDD then turn it back on...

View Post

Already tried that, that only helps on E64 errors I believe.

#14 jROC99

jROC99

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:30 PM

For those that think the price is gona drop any time soon.. you must be dreaming.

The only way I see the price dropping is when PS3 comes out.

MS knows they are the first to market with this nextgen console..they can charge whatever they want. And guess what , people will pay it because they have to. That's the cost of staying up with technology.

All in all I think the graphics on the new 360 are mind-blowing.
Props to MS and ATI.

Anyways keep this thread going for X360 defective units only.

To KingGofG
Also If your console has crashed and now it won't boot....
Unplug it for about 5 minutes then plug it back in and try again.
It should work.
I've seen this on my defective one.. At least it will boot again after it's been left unplugged. Mine still crashes loading the games tho.

jROC

Edited by jROC99, 22 November 2005 - 10:39 PM.

#15 JeffPinkston

JeffPinkston

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE(trioptimumonline @ Nov 22 2005, 09:34 PM)
thing was flashign red in all but one of the lights on front the first time I plugged it in,

View Post

After my conversation with MS I was told this warning (Red in Sector 1,3 and 4) indicated hardware failure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users