BCfosheezy

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:13 PM

Here are the Dev and Retail Motherboards. You'll notice on the retail the same headers are there but nothing is connected. On the Dev kit the Headers are connected with cables coming out. What purpose do they serve?

Dev Kit (from Xantium's formerly pinned topic):
user posted image

Retail (steblublu's mobo pic):
user posted image

This may or may not be significant. I really don't know but I think it would be good to at least have an idea what these do. Maybe this has been discussed already. If it has been could someone please point me to the appropriate topic as I didn't find it in a search and I lurk here every day smile.gif

Edited by BCfosheezy, 23 November 2005 - 06:21 PM.

#2 Arakon

Arakon

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:47 PM

all of them go into the "sidecar" addon on the devkits, which has extra ports for the devs (i.e. USB, firewire, etc.. most likely to test code without having to copy it around, to read out error logs, etc.).

most of them will likely be inactive on the retail box, wether the traces are physically missing or the north+southbridge/cpu simply not having any signals on them anymore.

#3 BCfosheezy

BCfosheezy

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE(Arakon @ Nov 23 2005, 12:54 PM)
all of them go into the "sidecar" addon on the devkits, which has extra ports for the devs (i.e. USB, firewire, etc.. most likely to test code without having to copy it around, to read out error logs, etc.).

most of them will likely be inactive on the retail box, wether the traces are physically missing or the north+southbridge/cpu simply not having any signals on them anymore.

View Post

Well I wonder if data coming across these busses is regulated like the other usb ports. WHat would be the point if it was? What I mean is, this could possibly be a way to read/write to the hard disk and transfer things other than mp3/wma's. Without having used a dev kit I don't know what the "sidecar" allows someone to do. I also don't know if the different kernel would even allow use of these even if the traces were intact or reconnected. There are a lot of ifs but I think this is one place to look at.

Also, did anyone notice the things that look like white pinheaders just to the right of the tsop on the dev kit? on the retail there's empty vias there. I wonder what those are smile.gif

#4 steblublu

steblublu

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 24 November 2005 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE(BCfosheezy @ Nov 23 2005, 06:20 PM)
Here are the Dev and Retail Motherboards. You'll notice on the retail the same headers are there but nothing is connected. On the Dev kit the Headers are connected with cables coming out. What purpose do they serve?

As I don't have a dev kit - i'm guessing that those connections are serial diagnostic ports.

btw - Nice motherboard picture! whoever took that photo must be a photographic genius smile.gif

#5 BCfosheezy

BCfosheezy

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE(steblublu @ Nov 24 2005, 12:22 AM) View Post

As I don't have a dev kit - i'm guessing that those connections are serial diagnostic ports.
btw - Nice motherboard picture! whoever took that photo must be a photographic genius smile.gif

If you notice I gave all credit to you before you ever posted smile.gif

#6 TeRm

TeRm

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:17 PM

How does one get a xbox like that? sleep.gif

#7 wolvorine4424

wolvorine4424

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 02:36 AM

Anyone with a DEV Kit and a retail x360...

Can you take a closeup pictures of your xbox360 so there is an easy way to see the traces...

I will compare them...

Sorry, but i do not have a box at this time but waiting for the 2nd shipment so I can pick one up...
It will be easier for me with the unit, but they soldout before i got there... DAMN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users