#121 maximilian0017

maximilian0017

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE(Rymez @ Jan 11 2006, 12:34 PM) View Post

maximilian0017: The other two Mb is for a System partition.
I am in the process of getting a live linux cd working with 360 FATX support.

Is there a way to get to that 2 MB?, havent seen a second raw partition on the MU

The live cd would be great, but i would really like an easy way to install it too, i already have another project going and need linux for that too.

Lets see if i get some time tonight to do something

#122 maximilian0017

maximilian0017

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:53 PM

How to build an usb connector on your X360 Memory unit guide V1.0
(the quick and dirty way and on your own risk!!!!!)

Tools
1. Wire cutters (small)
2. Multimeter
3. Small soldering Iron
4. Small Dril (Dremel)

Materials
1. Usb cable (not to thick)
2. Voltage regulator LM 1084 3.3 (fixed 3.3Volts!!!!!!!)
3. 2X resistor 33 Ohms (1/8 watt or bigger)(almost every 33 Ohms resistor will do)
4. Shrink tube
5. Very small box

If you have evenything needed you will be up and running within 15 minutes

Lest build it!!
1. Take the usb cable and remove the unwanted side so that you end up with an Male A connector and a piece of wire (leave it up to you how long you want to make the cable)

2. Cut the cable in half again and strip the three ends, put a little solder on the twelve wires so they will solder a lot easyer while working with delicate electronics

3. Find out the pinout of the cable using the multimeter and this site(USB)
The fun about this is that certain manufacturers change the colors of the cables so this is very important!!!!, write it down on a piece of paper and recheck!!

4. Take the two pieces of cable and solder the two wires for Data+ using one of the resistors, and then the same for Data-(dont forget the shrink tube)

5. The legs of the voltage regulator are very long, leave about 5 milimeters per pin and cut the rest off.

6. Solder both ground wires to the ground terminal on the voltage regulator (dont forget the shrink tube)
(Picture )

7. Solder the 5vdc wire (the one with the USB connector) to the input pin of the voltage regulator(dont forget the shrink tube)

8. Solder the last wire (our new 3.3Volt Wire) to the output pin of the voltage regulator(dont forget the shrink tube)

9. Mount the voltage regulator in the little box with some kind of cable restriction.

10. While making sure you dont cause any short circuit, connect the cable to your usb connector on your pc and mesure the voltage on the ground and the new 3.3v wire, this should read about 3.3volts(otherwise take it apart and start again)

10. Open up the memory unit without any sharp tools , make sure not to put any stress on the grey connector as it breaks of quite easy. (goes easyer if you first remove the little metal plate)

11. Make a hole in the plastic cover to guide your wires through, after that solder the wires the following way to the connector pins on the inside(ofcourse leaving the little board intact and connected)
From top to bottom with the xbox360 standing up
Connector - Wire

Pin 1 - Ground
Pin 2 - Data+
Pin 3 - Data-
Pin 4 - 3.3Volt

12. Close up the memory unit and test, Windows should recognise two new devices it doesn't have drivers for, maby i'll write another little guide for that soon.

Done!!!

Thanks goes out to all the people who helped gathering with the info
Crb0621 for starting the topic
Rustmonkey for the mesurements
Lukecalypso, Willpower101, JoHnnyTK36, etc etc for testing

Feel free to add pictures etc and repost as long as the guide keeps readable and correct

#123 JoHnnyTK36

JoHnnyTK36

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 January 2006 - 06:39 AM

Great job on that guide.

Here is my guide.

Here is a like to download it, it is 22mb and in MS word format. Once i resize the images i will post it here.

http://savefile.com/files/5039022

Edited by JoHnnyTK36, 12 January 2006 - 06:40 AM.

#124 tjaf

tjaf

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:43 AM

Some very nice work has already been done in this thread. Do you guys know of the existence of the free60 wiki? You should post the info about the savegames there. As much verified info as possible should be gathered at 1 point. Also a lot of info is already there, could be interesting for you as well.

http://www.free60.org

#125 maximilian0017

maximilian0017

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE(tjaf @ Jan 12 2006, 09:50 AM) View Post

Do you guys know of the existence of the free60 wiki? You should post the info about the savegames there.
http://www.free60.org

Thats a good idea, if i have the time i'll take a look.

I'm working on a driver to easely install the memorycard on win2000, it will mount the drive as a volume when i'm done(with remove usb device support), maby someone else can make support for FATX under Win2K

When this works i'll build a driver for XP.

The driver reported earlyer doesn't seem to be connected to the memory unit, it looks like their driver just has the same id's as the memcard

#126 Angerwound

Angerwound

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 January 2006 - 02:43 PM

Special drivers are not required. Generic USB Storage Disk drivers work just fine.

#127 maximilian0017

maximilian0017

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE(Angerwound @ Jan 12 2006, 02:50 PM) View Post

Special drivers are not required. Generic USB Storage Disk drivers work just fine.

I Know, just want drivers that install without all the hassle and forcing, gives people with less experience also the posibility of easy install.(and w2k finds less that XP)

I've got the first dumps already, no problem there.

Only that system partition as Rymez calls it is giving me a worries, does anyone have any info on that?, what does Linux say?

Edited by maximilian0017, 12 January 2006 - 04:09 PM.

#128 Rymez

Rymez

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 04:44 PM

maximilian0017: System partition seems to actually be 8Mb. Do you want the offsets and exact byte sizes of the two partitions.
I will also mount these in linux when I get home and see what gets stored where.

Good work on the guide maximilian0017 and JoHnnyTK36

Edited by Rymez, 12 January 2006 - 04:44 PM.

#129 lukecalypso

lukecalypso

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 06:43 PM

Thank u too for your work maximilian would u make a compete guide with linux access to memory with me?

#130 Rymez

Rymez

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:21 PM

maximilian0017:
You can dump the partitions in linux with these commands.

To dump the 8Mb system partition which seems to contain Cache data and the name.txt (Memory Unit friendly name)

dd if=./sectordump4.bin of=SystemPart.dd count=8384512 bs=1

To dump the main partition
dd if=./sectordump4.bin of=MainPart.dd skip=8384512 bs=1

Then to mount them if you have FATX support

mount SystemPart.dd /mnt/xbox -t fatx -o loop

Hope that helps

#131 maximilian0017

maximilian0017

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:44 PM

There are three things i would like to add to my guide, and i'm to late to edit
1. Connect the memory unit to one device at a time, Xbox or PC, even if you turn one of them off it would probably damage both of them!!!!!!
2. The cable length i used is 1 meter, 30 cm between the memory unit and the voltage regulator and 70cm between the voltage regulator and the usb connector, but the shorter the better
3. Even with the long cable attached the memory unit works in the Xbox

QUOTE(JoHnnyTK36 @ Jan 12 2006, 04:51 AM) View Post

JoHnnyTK36: have some things i want to talk to you about, i'll send you a message asap

Rymez: how big are these two partitions exactly in bytes?, If i make a dump its size is 65.077.248(62.0625MB) bytes, it should be 67108864 bytes(64MB), so where are the remaining 2031616 bytes???, please confirm

lukecalypso: Sometimes i have to use linux on my work(firewall), but i'm not at all an expert in the field
I' m still hoping that the other people here that know Linux make a version can be easely installed without recompiling kernels etc for FatX support(live cd would be nice but i need linux for more than FatX support, so please an installable version if possible)

After i get the drivers to install automatically under windows i'll take a look at Linux

#132 Angerwound

Angerwound

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:36 PM

CODE
u_int64_t partitionAddresses__MemCard[] = { 0x0UL,  0x7ff000UL };
u_int64_t partitionSizes__MemCard[] = { 0x7ff000UL,  (0x3E20000UL-0x7ff000UL) };

These are your partition offsets and sizes on the memory unit.

The system partition, (8mbs) simply has a cache folder that is always empty and a 'name.txt'.
This txt file also exists on the second partition where the saves are actually stored.
See below image for structure.

IPB Image

Edited by Angerwound, 12 January 2006 - 11:37 PM.

#133 maximilian0017

maximilian0017

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:18 PM

Be gone unknown devices!!!!!

Finally got the driver files to detect everything under 2000 and XP MCE, now i only need some testers

These drivers will mount the different devices so that you can access the memory device, it will still be a raw device, but no manual forcing of drivers is neccesary
It should also work on bigger memory units

Send me a personal message stating your e-mail adres and i will mail it to the first pleople who contact me

Maby someone wants to host them for me?

Ofcource i accept no responsebility if anything goes wrong

#134 JoHnnyTK36

JoHnnyTK36

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:13 PM

Here is the link to the file

Drivers

#135 JoHnnyTK36

JoHnnyTK36

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 03:30 AM

I just tested this to make sure it worked and i could find no faults in it.

It is very simple, alot simpler than when i first tried to connect the MU to my computer.

Great job maximilian0017.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users