Vayate

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 November 2005 - 07:38 AM

If anyone cares to check it out, I've dumped the emulation profile in a hex editor. Took a couple minutes, even on my nice m,achine. Anyway, this is probably neither here nor there -- just thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone found it useful.

You can get the 9MB .txt file on my college webspace (here)
Looks a lot different from XBE files. Much less decipherable text. Anyway, good luck -- awesome if you find something useful.

Edited by Vayate, 27 November 2005 - 07:41 AM.

#2 Neptune

Neptune

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:17 PM

why dont you zip it...it'll compress to less then a meg

#3 cshah0

cshah0

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:27 PM

that's good, now which encryption is used?

#4 Vayate

Vayate

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 29 November 2005 - 10:06 PM

Oh, it also seems that XEX files do have a bit more security than XBEs (duh). I tried to disassemble it with PVDasm 1.5, but it gave me a "File is already in use" error even after I rebooted to make 100% sure it wasn't.

Edited by Vayate, 29 November 2005 - 10:06 PM.

#5 binjinx

binjinx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE(Vayate @ Nov 29 2005, 05:13 PM) View Post

Oh, it also seems that XEX files do have a bit more security than XBEs (duh). I tried to disassemble it with PVDasm 1.5, but it gave me a "File is already in use" error even after I rebooted to make 100% sure it wasn't.

wouldnt it be better to use IDA since the target cpu is ibm ( is it G core?) PVDasm dont handle that

#6 cshah0

cshah0

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 05:29 AM

SHA-1 used in the default.xex
http://xboxhacker.ne...&id=40&Itemid=2

#7 TSOPrano

TSOPrano

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:33 AM

Didn't SHA-1 get hacked?

#8 bigbubba7373

bigbubba7373

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 01 December 2005 - 10:18 AM

SHA-1 Broken
Posted by L33tdawg on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 11:09 AM (Reads: 1098)

Source: Schneier on Security

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

L33tdawg: Much love to Fyodor Yarochkin for the heads up on this wink.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SHA-1 has been broken. Not a reduced-round version. Not a simplified version. The real thing. The research team of Xiaoyun Wang, Yiqun Lisa Yin, and Hongbo Yu (mostly from Shandong University in China) have been quietly circulating a paper describing their results:

collisions in the the full SHA-1 in 2**69 hash operations, much less than the brute-force attack of 2**80 operations based on the hash length.
collisions in SHA-0 in 2**39 operations.
collisions in 58-round SHA-1 in 2**33 operations.
This attack builds on previous attacks on SHA-0 and SHA-1, and is a major, major cryptanalytic result. It pretty much puts a bullet into SHA-1 as a hash function for digital signatures (although it doesn't affect applications such as HMAC where collisions aren't important). The paper isn't generally available yet.

#9 The Dude

The Dude

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:00 AM

This is just a shot in the dark, but could this default.xex file simply be a database/list of games on the backwards compatability list? Perhaps this file stores a list of signatures/identification numbers from each default.xbe for each game. When the .xex file runs it simply extracts and dumps the signatures for the games onto the hard drive?

This file seems way to small to store a seperate emu for every single game on the backwards compatability list. It seems more feasable the base emulator for every game is on the hdd. The xbox then reads the default.xbe from the original xbox game then cross referances the hdd to make sure the game is "authorized" to play.

On another note...

Seeing as how MS has specifically excluded known games that have been exploited, perhaps MS has made a list of games they will LET us play rather than a list of games that are really playable. Perhaps they rest of the games that aren't on the list are being investigated for possible exploits?

Of course this is just all speculation, but I thought I would throw it out there.

Edited by The Dude, 06 December 2005 - 06:02 AM.

#10 MGSolidus2

MGSolidus2

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 06 December 2005 - 09:01 PM

I can't see the .txt. It says it's not available from the site.

EDIT: If what the dude says is true, then that's the key to partially cracking the 360. All we would have to do would be to use hacking programs from the 1st xbox and they would run on the 360. Actually if we used like Slayer's, and added the hacked dash to the list, then maybe we could burn it to a CD and boot it up, giving us partial FTP access to it.

DOUBLE EDIT: Nevermind, I don't think this will work, because we can't develop our own .XBE's yet.

Edited by MGSolidus2, 06 December 2005 - 09:03 PM.

#11 Darren101

Darren101

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 12 December 2005 - 02:58 PM

Don't worry about devving.

Get yourself an assembler, and you're done smile.gif.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users