• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 27 November 2005 - 06:42 PM

My current kernel and dash have been upgraded to: 2.0.2241.0

(D:2.0.2241.0 - K:2.0.2241.0)
BK:2.0.1888.0

I'm guessing that BK = Backed up Kernel since I think if we're flashing from Live that there would be a backup kept.
Also, when I opened my console it said revision 1888 so I'm quite sure that's the version it shipped with. Everyone please post your results and if you've connected to live or not and if you can remember, how many updates you've received. I've received two if I remember correctly.

Edit: To view this information simply go to your dashboard. Then go to the system tab. Next go to console settings. Then go into system info. You'll notice information similar to what I posted above in the lower left.

I also applied a thin layer of Arctic Silver 5 to my cpu and gpu. I'd recommend the same since the gpu uses an aluminum pad. smile.gif

Edited by BCfosheezy, 27 November 2005 - 06:52 PM.

#2 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,735 posts
  • Interests:#lordvader129
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 27 November 2005 - 07:52 PM

ah, now i see how MS can trust a kernel update to the consumer level, they keep a backup at all times, much like the xenium recovery mode (probably got the idea from us)

also means any hope of a 360 version of a TSOP flash is probably dead, they would just see the hacked bios and overwrite it from the backup

#3 bobhinkle1

bobhinkle1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 07:58 PM

ah but your missing the upside. there is the ablitilty to make the xbox try and flash its tsop. you just have to trigger it and then force a different one into memory. xbox could flash your bios on its own. Your screwed if that one doesn't work.

#4 BCfosheezy

BCfosheezy

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE(bobhinkle1 @ Nov 27 2005, 01:05 PM) View Post

ah but your missing the upside. there is the ablitilty to make the xbox try and flash its tsop. you just have to trigger it and then force a different one into memory. xbox could flash your bios on its own. Your screwed if that one doesn't work.

Yeah maybe in an emergency recovery flash there aren't heavy security checks to validate that backup. (HIGHLY UNLIKELY) This way we could flash the recovery bank with a hacked bios and force it to recover.

#5 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,995 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 27 November 2005 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Nov 27 2005, 06:59 PM) View Post

ah, now i see how MS can trust a kernel update to the consumer level, they keep a backup at all times, much like the xenium recovery mode (probably got the idea from us)

also means any hope of a 360 version of a TSOP flash is probably dead, they would just see the hacked bios and overwrite it from the backup

But if you dont hook up your xbox to live however....

#6 gonkle

gonkle

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 10:38 PM

maybe you can sniff the file when i passes your LAN and take a look, maybe there go some other information while the new kernel comes home

#7 DonkeyBeliever

DonkeyBeliever

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:34 AM

QUOTE(BCfosheezy @ Nov 27 2005, 07:49 AM) View Post

My current kernel and dash have been upgraded to: 2.0.2241.0

(D:2.0.2241.0 - K:2.0.2241.0)
BK:2.0.1888.0

Same results here, I updated the Xbox as soon as it was connected to XBL along with the Halo 2 emulator update, perhaps there is a way to force it to use its backup? Has anyone tried the Initial Setup option? Perhaps it does nothing though, Im not one to try smile.gif

#8 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderator
  • 17,735 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE(BCfosheezy @ Nov 27 2005, 02:03 PM) View Post

Yeah maybe in an emergency recovery flash there aren't heavy security checks to validate that backup. (HIGHLY UNLIKELY) This way we could flash the recovery bank with a hacked bios and force it to recover.

i dont think its unlikely theyll run a checksum on the backup, thats assuming the backup bank is even programable (xeniums isnt)

but i guess for that info we have to wait for the second Live update to see if the BK changes

#9 BCfosheezy

BCfosheezy

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 02:47 AM

QUOTE(gonkle @ Nov 27 2005, 03:45 PM) View Post

maybe you can sniff the file when i passes your LAN and take a look, maybe there go some other information while the new kernel comes home

Well it might at least tell us how to initiate a tsop flash across a network. I'm sure everything that comes from live in encrypted though so it's doubtful. I'd be just as interested if not more interested in a way to read the contents of the tsop across the network.

#10 BCfosheezy

BCfosheezy

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 03:27 AM

On a different note, I did a short little sniff of the network packets and found out that our 360's are running a webserver. This was involved with my windows media connect service running on my laptop and my 360 so there might eventually be something useful come of this. So far don't get excited because it is nothing. The Xbox sent me a page of xml. If you'd like to see it type this into your web browser while your 360 is on and on the same network on all layers of the OSI model smile.gif.

http://(Your 360's IP):1028

So for most with dhcp running on their nifty pnp linksys router it will look something like this:
http://192.168.0.4:1028

#11 atomiX

atomiX

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts
  • Interests:Doesn't matter...
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE(BCfosheezy @ Nov 27 2005, 10:34 PM) View Post

On a different note, I did a short little sniff of the network packets and found out that our 360's are running a webserver. This was involved with my windows media connect service running on my laptop and my 360 so there might eventually be something useful come of this. So far don't get excited because it is nothing. The Xbox sent me a page of xml. If you'd like to see it type this into your web browser while your 360 is on and on the same network on all layers of the OSI model smile.gif.

http://(Your 360's IP):1028

So for most with dhcp running on their nifty pnp linksys router it will look something like this:
http://192.168.0.4:1028

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=462790
Don't know if you meant 1026 instead of 1028 but either way...basically the same. Looks like its used for UPnP.

#12 deadparrot

deadparrot

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:24 PM

At least this means that the BIOS is writable, where ever it actually is.

#13 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderator
  • 17,735 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE(deadparrot @ Nov 28 2005, 10:31 AM) View Post

At least this means that the BIOS is writable, where ever it actually is.

xbox-linux confirms the kernel and the bootloader are on the processor die

the wuestion is, how muchof the security is in the bootloader? on the xbox it was just a simple hash check that was easy to fool, so we were able to trick it into loading any hacked kernel we wanted, MS is unlikely to make the same mistake twice, i think we need to find a way to rip and examine th ebootloader, not the kernel, i think even if we figure out a way to initiate a kernel update locally, and inject our own hacked kernel, the bootloader wont touch it because it isnt signed, it will just restore the backup kernel

#14 BCfosheezy

BCfosheezy

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE(atomiX @ Nov 28 2005, 10:14 AM) View Post

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=462790
Don't know if you meant 1026 instead of 1028 but either way...basically the same. Looks like its used for UPnP.

No, on mine it was definitely 1028 because I copy and pasted it directly. I thought it was odd that other's ports were 1026. Maybe for whatever reason my port 1026 was not available and it had to switch. If you look at the time of posts I actually made this discovery first. Not that it matters. I know that they did not copy and I just wanted to make it clear that I did not copy smile.gif

#15 atomiX

atomiX

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts
  • Interests:Doesn't matter...
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 29 November 2005 - 02:30 PM

Like you said, it doesn't really matter but according to what I see, they posted first. Lets not dwell on this though. As its been said before, this is yet another possible way to exploit the system. With MS allowing the system to communicate with the outside even more than the Xbox, it opens up more possibilities but we still have to remind ourselves that the core of the hardware is protected beyond anything seen before. They said the first Xbox was unhackable, yet it was able to run unsigned code within months. I'm confident the same will happen here...maybe not as fast but will nonetheless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users