tmh88

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:post pictures of your xbox at http://www.xb-t.com/
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:21 AM

I'm just wondering, how do you guys think 360's graphics compare to a fairly high end computer in such games as call of duty 2, and NFS most wanted.

I want to get a 360, but I built my pc specifically for gaming and I dont want to buy a 360 if I can achieve the same performance using my computer. Upgraded to 7800GTX, 2 Gigs of pc 3800 mem, and an AMD 64 3500+ OC'd to 2.8ghz. Anyway, if I were to run call of duty to or NFS: most wanted on my computer with the settings all the way up, how do you think the graphics would compare to that of 360's?

Since 360 is such a powerhouse, I bet it would be better, but then again my computer can take anything I throw at it. I just don't know how much effort the developers put into the pc versions.

just say what you think...doesnt matter I just want to know. I mean after all alot of you guys have 360's, and well i dont sad.gif

#2 Manobeer

Manobeer

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:29 AM

The Xbox360 will blow away any pc that costs less than 1k.

Really high end PCs might give a higher rez and/or more frames per second but playing COD2 on a 50 inch plasma in DD5.1 rules.

I vote 360.

#3 tmh88

tmh88

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:41 AM

Yea but I dont even have a high definition TV. My parents are cheap and don't want to buy one, yet they buy useless shit for the house like a fucking $3000 table. I mean wtf.....

If it were up to me I'd have a 42" Sharp Aquos tv (one of the clearest pictures I've ever seen), and like a million speakers all over the place.

My pc cost well over $1000 which was much more than I wanted to spend. It can handle anything you throw at it, but it put a big dent in my bank account.

Edited by tmh88, 28 November 2005 - 06:43 AM.

#4 Mickerry enterp

Mickerry enterp

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:XBOX TECH-MODDER
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:45 AM

QUOTE(Manobeer @ Nov 28 2005, 04:36 PM) View Post

The Xbox360 will blow away any pc that costs less than 1k.

Really high end PCs might give a higher rez and/or more frames per second but playing COD2 on a 50 inch plasma in DD5.1 rules.

I vote 360.

sorry guys just need to now some facts ,is the 360 crashing and what happend to xbox 100 please answer
if you guys now anything

#5 DJKissler

DJKissler

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:56 AM

Your Computer Can Never Be A "Dedicated" Gaming Machine, There's Just Too Many Services Running In The Background, What The XB360 Has Over A High End PC Is Simple Things Like A Quick Boot Up, Instant On Software, Low Price Point And Graphics Tricks That PC's Can't Do Yet Because We Don't Have DX10. I Did My Own Comparision, On The 360 Need For Speed: Most Wanted Has True HDR Bloom, And Fades Between It. The PC Just Cuts From Full Bloom To Brightness Once You Leave A Tunnle. On The 360, All Cinematic In Game Scenes (IE. Hitting A Roadblock And 150+) Get Depth Of Field. PC Doesn't. This Has Been The Trend For Years Ever Since The XBOX And PS2 Came About. PC Games HAVE To Be Made To Accept A WIDE Array Of Hardware. Some Effects Just Cannot Be Turned Off If They Are Scene Specific. The XBox On The Other Hand Can Do All That Nifty Stuff Cause It Is A Dedicated System, When You Buy One You Are Assured That Every Software Title That Come's Out For It Will Look The Same (Excluding HD Resolution. That Varries From T.V To T.V) No Matter What XBOX 360 You Put It In. Also, Sure The First Generation Of Games Arrent Impressive, But I Say Get One Anyways. The Second Generation Of Games Will Only BEGIN To Show You What Power Lies Under The Hood Of The White Box.

Edited by DJKissler, 28 November 2005 - 06:59 AM.

#6 C o s m o

C o s m o

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Interests:The Shocker, mudbutt, luge lessons, buggery.
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:08 PM

When game developers begin to utilize the 360, it's performance will outshine that of PCs, until even faster processors and gpu's are manufactured. And when that happens, you'll pay as much for one component as you would for an entire 360.

#7 0db

0db

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:16 PM

Don't forget that to run at 1080i is equivalent to rendering at 1920x1080 resolution (even if it's interlaced). Most people even with SLI setups can't play the newest and greatest games at that resolution smoothly.

#8 CooLJoE

CooLJoE

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:05 PM

High End PC wins. A low end PC would lose, thats for sure.

Xbox360's GPU is basically the same as the ATI X1800XT that is out right now for PCs. It has the same technology and abilities. The bonus that the Xbox360 has is not in graphical abilities, but speed. The Xbox360 GPU is more directly tied to the CPU and memory, so it can process a bit faster than normal.

DJKissler - If your PC can't do full HDR bloom or Depth of Field effects, then its more a problem of your PC being behind the times, and not all PCs. I have the 7800GTX (well had...it was sent back to EVGA for an upgrade to the latest version) and it can do all the same effects that Xbox360 can. I have PC games that do proper HDR bloom (HL2:Lost Coast does it rather well) and Depth of Field (NFS:MW on PC and City of Villains both have this feature).

And yes, a PC CAN be a dedicated gaming machine. I know this because thats what one of my rigs is. It may not have instant on software from a DVD disc, but it boots up about as fast as my Xbox360, has same price or cheaper games, and has all the same graphical abilities including resolution. And on the note of resolution, alot of people think 1080i (1920x1080 res) means it beats a PC. Not totally true. You have to figure in that the Xbox360 isn't using full AA at those resolutions, and probably not full AF or distance rendering (or if it is, thats some crappy AA). On my gaming rig, I can do full AA, full AF, max quality settings, furthest distance rendering, all at 1280x1024 and it runs smooth as butter in all but the most demanding games (read: games that Xbox360 won't be rendering anytime soon, without some drop in quality like not using AA or AF at all). Xbox1 was the same way. It had the same GPU (basically) that was out right for the PC right then, and while it had all the same abilities, its resolution wasn't as good and it wasn't doing any AA or AF effects like the PC. Alot of people forget all those features when comparing consoles to PCs.

Now you may think I'm an Xbox360 basher, but I'm far from it. I own one, so why would I. I'm just stating what should be known when doing a comparison.

Of course the real truth is that you can't compare a PC to a console. Why? Because you can't get all console games for the PC, and vice versa. Plus there are games that work better on one over the other: FPS/RTS/MMO are better on PC, Platform/Sports/Partygames/etc are better on consoles.

QUOTE(0db @ Nov 28 2005, 05:23 PM) View Post

Don't forget that to run at 1080i is equivalent to rendering at 1920x1080 resolution (even if it's interlaced). Most people even with SLI setups can't play the newest and greatest games at that resolution smoothly.

Actually SLI and even non-SLI setups can do 1920x1080 smoothly. In the most demanding games, which will not see the Xbox360 without being forced to run with no AA/AF, are what hurt a non-SLI system, but that can be fixed by dropping the AA/AF down to lower levels (can still be on, just not on full). An SLI/crossfire setup of the recent graphics cards (nvidia 7800 series or ATI X1800 series) can easily do 1920x1080 with all the graphical features turned up to max.

#9 tmh88

tmh88

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 11:08 PM

Ok well basically what im wondering is, on a computer with the settings maxed out for a game, how would it compare to xbox 360's graphics.

For instance call of duty 2. My friend has it for pc , but I havent had a chance to go to his house to play it yet. He said the max resolution it has is 1280x1024. Anyway with those settings, how would that compare to xbox 360 on a non hd tv. I dont have a high def tv, so that kinda pulls it down too. I also don't know if the pc version had as much time spent on it as 360, which could aslo hinder hte graphics.

#10 OnYa

OnYa

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 12:27 AM

You dont have a high definition tv, then whats the point of getting 360... it'll just look choppy.. Really do you want to waste your money on a $3000 gaming rig or a 400$ xbox 360 gaming machine... Anyone know if the Playstation 3 will be better?

#11 R-T-B

R-T-B

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 12:39 AM

The GPU in the Xbox 360 is actually better than the X1800 series. ATI made it special for this console and you can't get it in a PC version. Google it, as it does actually perform any PC graphics card.

The only catch is that you can do dual graphics cards on a PC.

That triple core IBM PowerPC processor doesn't hurt none, either. All that for under $400 is really quite ammazing.

Oh, and in case you guys didn't catch it, the Xbox 360 has a minimum mandatory anti-aliasing level of 2X.

#12 cyberg4

cyberg4

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 02:38 AM

xbox 360>modern high end PC
How many PCs out there have three 3.2 ghz cores (best i've heard of available on the market is 2 cores at 3.2ghz each). plus with the X360 game devs all work with the same high end system, allowing for them to optimise the games for those specs. even now some game review places are saying that Half life 2 on the Xbox (original) looks just as good, and runs better than it's counterpart on lower end pc's and that is last gen, the new generation (X360) definately is superior to current PCs.

#13 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,198 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:13 AM

Informed personal opinion > bickering on internet forums

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users