X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:32 PM

just a quick question for you fellas.
system powers up and powers down 3 times. on the third time it blinks red and green.
i was not getting any video either. and the dvdrom tray would not open.

the no video scares me. but i just real quick hooked it up and will reject my connections tonight after work.

but is no video indicative of bad dvd rom's ? seems odd that it would do that dont it ?

system has a white label Seagate Drive in it. and by white label i mean that big old white seagate sticker covering the whole thing and says OEM on it.
now i dont recall the numbers but it was something like SG310xxxx is that just a 10gig seagate ? or some drive someone put in it ?
the drive is a thompson and the console was made in 2003.
funny cuz my ol 1.0 xbox with a thompson is still running strong!
anywho gunna fix this one up for buddy here at work just wondering if someone knows off the top of their head if the no video is standard for a dead dvdrom along with the power on and off 3 times then blinking lights.
the unit was opened prior but i didnt have time nor could i find my torque head screwdriver to remove the dvd and hd tray to see if its a fubar'd

#2 LESTAT

LESTAT

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:28 AM

ok well got her opened up.
VERY clean probably blown out at one point in time.

ok so doesnt seem to be any mods at all the mobo and surrounding area's are spot free of any tampering all looks factory.

boots up immediately powers off , boots up blinks green three times powers off, powers on blinks green 4 times then blinks red green over and over.

im thinking its a bad dvd as there are scratch marks on the dvd bezel where it looks like someone tried to force the dvd tray open
plus it takes a bit to make the eject button actually eject the disk and then you insert the tray and it kicks it right back out and over and over a few times until it wont open any more.

but still no video.... odd... anyone got any ideas ?

#3 LESTAT

LESTAT

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:46 AM

definately not the dvd tried my thompson off my box and it still does the same thing.

one thing to note is even though there is no video when the box is doing its power on and power off the audio is making my system pop like the audio is TRYING to activate.

not sure exactly what i can do if the hd is bad it should atleast show video.

the whole no video thing has me ive not seen that before on a non modded box.

also i cant tell what version it is .. made 8 of 2003 it uses passive cooling on the video chip its not a fan cooled video chip like my 1.0 is.
also has the focus chip on it in the back of the mobo does that classify it as a 1.5 or 1.6 ?

#4 xecuter_rox_my_box

xecuter_rox_my_box

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:54 AM

Flashing red and green(FRAG) means your bios isn't loading correctly.

your hdd is probably fine.

Putting a modchip in your xbox may fix this problem, it may not but you can give it a try if you want.
Before you put a modchip in there is a xbox versions link on the top of the x-s home page.

#5 LESTAT

LESTAT

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 02:24 AM

yeah checked that but mine dont jive up with theirs it isnt unknown and it isnt there.
33/03 Line 5

closest i can get is a ver 1.4 with a focus chip.

fragged bios hmm ....

well.... .... is there anyway to verify this without having to go buy a modchip ?

#6 oxjeremy334

oxjeremy334

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,844 posts
  • Interests:Being a Rhinestone Cowboy

Posted 30 November 2005 - 03:22 AM

Sounds like a messed up TSOP. The marks on the drive were from the previous owner trying to get the game out that they were playing (since you cannot eject, neither could they). Chip would be an easy fix, then you will need to reflash the TSOP, or just leave the chip in it. You have the classic symptoms of a FRAG, so a chip would probably be the easiest route to start with.
EDIT: Probably a version 1.4 is what you have...v1.5's are very rare, and v1.6's don't have focus chips.

Edited by oxjeremy334, 30 November 2005 - 03:23 AM.

#7 LESTAT

LESTAT

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 03:31 AM

yeah somehow some way the box fuxor'd itself or the previous owner did it. but it appears as if no one has done any sort of modding or tsop soldering to the board from what i can see under magnifying glass.

dang it im a horrible solderer as my hands are too shakey and my soldering tip sucks lol.

damn wish there was a way to bypass that oh well guess ill have to find a modchip around here
people are just too slow to respond i need to get the chip no later than saturday and i got paypal handy .

im a tsop fan i have never done modchips as i never have had the need...
dang wish i didnt have to mess with a modchip... blah

#8 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 30 November 2005 - 03:31 AM

Sounds like the bios on the tsop is corrupt.... basically you are gonna have to chip it....
If its a ver 1.0-1.1 you could try the "three wire trick".... if its a 1.0-1.3 you could try to recover the tsop with a duox 2...Read my tut on fixing with a duox2 if its a 1.4-1.5 you will need a 29 wire mod chip to fix the tsop. If its a 1.6 you dont have a tsop ...so thats not the problem. Basically just chip it... simplest fix

*edit* sorry...server lag... little late reply hahahah

Edited by StrictPuppet, 30 November 2005 - 03:32 AM.

#9 LESTAT

LESTAT

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 04:36 AM

so is there anyway to hotwire this thing with like a null modem cable and flash it from the pc ?
or jumper it off of a working xbox and flash it that way ?

have it wired up and choose flash bios from evox and when it flashes it,, it dont flash my working box it flashes the broken box... probably alot more work than its worth but for someone to make a premodded set of wires and pins to do this would be really sweet.

i got a X2.6CE coming by sat. so...

#10 FuzzyHamster

FuzzyHamster

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 07:05 PM

Hey StrictPuppet, What do you mean when you say that "If its a 1.6 you dont have a tsop ...so thats not the problem". I have the same problem (FRAGing) with my Crystal Xbox v1.6 likely due to lightning or a power surge.

From all the reading I have done on various forums, I was convinced that my TSOP was fried and that a mod (I was looking at a cheap DUO X2) would allow me to bypass the "fried TSOP" and use the Xbox again. I was just about to go out and purchase one when I read your post.

Does your comment also mean that a mod will likely not resolve my problem?

Fuzzy

(I don't care about Live and am happy to leave the mod "on" all the time if it works around the problem. Just want to be able to play the games I have, don't need any extras, and can't afford a new/used box and repair from MS is too costly with shipping, etc.)
(Should probably mention as well that one of the reasons I am trying to fix this box instead of replacing it is because of the several months worth of saved games on it that I am hoping not to lose)

Edited by FuzzyHamster, 02 December 2005 - 07:12 PM.

#11 LESTAT

LESTAT

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 07:34 PM

1.6's have tsop's just like the rest of them so i dont know why he says that..

i would however like to see that tutorial on unlocking the seagate drives... some guy posted something about it here and i cant find anything about it.

but ill know tommorrow sometime after the chip is installed if its gunna be a fried tsop or psu.

#12 bujuone

bujuone

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:34 PM

i think this is what your looking for.
http://forums.xbox-s...pic=451129&st=0

#13 FuzzyHamster

FuzzyHamster

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:37 PM

Hmm... so after some more research, it looks like the 1.6+ does have a bios (TSOP?) but, the 1.6+ uses an EPROM (burn once) while all the older versions use an E-EPROM (burn many times). This means that getting the DUO-X2 with the Cromwell/Flashbios would be a waste of money since I can't flash the original bios anyways.

I suspected a PSU as well since it was lightning/power surge related, but all the voltages check out OK, so I am hoping that it is in fact TSOP related and that a mod-chip will bring my Xbox back to life...

I learn something new every day....

Edited by FuzzyHamster, 02 December 2005 - 08:48 PM.

#14 LESTAT

LESTAT

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 12:38 AM

why is the DUO-X2 not going to work ? is all it is is a chip with a bootable firmware on it that allows you to reflash the original MS tsop ? sort of like a modchip designed to do tsop flashes ?

or does it have its own rom chip on it with extra banks ?

if it has its own rom banks then use it the bad tsop wont matter since the system will boot to the chip not the m$ bios..
once your on the duo-x bios then you can reflash the chip banks with something like the X2 bios as long as the duo chip is compatable with the X2 bios's.

did i say that all correctly or just confuse you lol...

#15 FuzzyHamster

FuzzyHamster

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:40 AM

Sorry for the confusion. I understand what you mean.

I didn't mean to say that the DUO-X2 will not work. What I meant to say (or should have said more clearly), is that since I can't re-flash the TSOP, I can just get the DUO-X2 Lite, which is cheaper and comes with an LPC rebuild and I won't need to worry (as you suggested) about the bad TSOP with the M$ bios.

By the way, I have the newer "white" Seagate 10.2 GB drive (the ST10...14ACE). There is a site that lists the firmware for the "A" version of this drive (same site listed in the article above about the firmware for the 20GB) but the download seems to be corrupt.

Oh well...I'll stick with this drive for now and worry about unlocking later....as long as the modchip gets the box going again I will be happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users