8 replies to this topic

#1 cedwards

cedwards

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 01:00 AM

ok so I just bought the magic vga box off ebay for 39 dollars and iam going to use it to hook up my xbox to an lcd flat screen monitor that I have, and I was just wondering if anyone else has used this product and what do they think about it?

#2 TrigunXBox

TrigunXBox

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 03:04 AM

It sucks. That is only a RCA/S-Video to VGA converter. It's going to make your nice LCD look like a cheap TV.
Get a real VGA box like a X2VGA and run your XBox in HD mode. Your games will look outstanding.

#3 cedwards

cedwards

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:45 AM

it shows in higher resloutions so it will look better than a tv,

#4 TrigunXBox

TrigunXBox

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 05:45 AM

Nope. It scales the image. It's like putting a postage stamp on a copier and keep pressing enlarge unless you get a 8x10 image. Ya, it got bigger, but you don't have any detail and the image looks fuzzy. Using a box like the X2VGA gives you a true, full size image.

The Magic VGA will work and it may look better then a TV because most computer monitors are better quality then most TVs. But you will be losing at least half the quality the XBox can put out.

#5 cedwards

cedwards

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:46 AM

losing at leat half the quality, what do you mean? As long as it looks better than a normal tv Iam happy. Iam mainly getting this because the room iam in doesnt have a tv and I have an lcd that iam not using.

#6 afandiewinter

afandiewinter

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 05 December 2005 - 07:37 AM

QUOTE(cedwards @ Dec 4 2005, 09:53 PM) View Post

losing at leat half the quality, what do you mean? As long as it looks better than a normal tv Iam happy. Iam mainly getting this because the room iam in doesnt have a tv and I have an lcd that iam not using.

it will not look better than a normal tv. it will look worse.

#7 cedwards

cedwards

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 08:01 AM

have you guys used this product or are u just guessing. where is your info comming from. Ive read reviews on it and everyone seems to say its ok.

#8 ydgmms

ydgmms

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:51 AM

just make urself a vga cable. i know theres a bunch of tutorials.

if not, i'd take their suggestions and get the x2vga.

I mean, in the end its your money. Buy it, find out its crap, and spend more money getting the x2vga.

Your call.

#9 TrigunXBox

TrigunXBox

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:22 PM

I don't have one, but I am not guessing too.

The RCA output from the XBox can put 240 lines of resolution on the screen at once.
That LCD monitor can handle at least 768 lines if not more. It's like putting your mom in an Aston DB9 to go shopping. It's a total wast of the preformance.

Using an transcoder like the X2VGA will get you at least 480 if not 720 lines on the screen.

I have a Samsung 15" LCD monitor (as seen on the Matrix) that has RCS and s-video in. When I connect my XBox to it using the s-video, well, lets say I switch to VGA real quick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users