Photo

Possible To Invert Camera Control Through Dash?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jine4

jine4

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 08:02 PM

as you all know some games don't allow to invert camera controls. this makes them pretty much unplayable if the control is the opposite of what you need. i was thinking is it possible to have an option in the dash to run a game with inverted up/down or left/right? or maybe the option needs to be in the bios? couldn't find any related discussion.

#2 ShadowElitePro

ShadowElitePro

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Interests:Halo 3 <br />Football<br />Airsoft<br />Xbox 360
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 December 2005 - 08:06 PM

Well you cant because the game is coded with those controls.

#3 Chedawan

Chedawan

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 05 December 2005 - 08:20 PM

I think Shadow's probably right about this, the games are made to be that way. To do it you'd have to make the box think that when up was pushed, it was actually down.

The only way I can think to do this would be to physically mod a dedicated controller (I haven't actually been inside an s controller, but I suspect there must be micro switch banks you could swap around).

Worth bearing in mind though with either method this isn't just going to be 'in game' as it were, it's going to be from the moment the game boots... so menu's, character select, entering letters for profile names e.t.c. which would seriously screw with my head at least.

#4 ShadowElitePro

ShadowElitePro

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 08:23 PM

Ya Chedawan thats the only way I cant think. Lots of people made mods to there controller. Like one guy made a crouch switch for crouching in H2.

#5 jine4

jine4

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE(Chedawan @ Dec 5 2005, 11:27 AM) View Post

To do it you'd have to make the box think that when up was pushed, it was actually down.

that's sort of what i meant. when i push "up" on the right thumbstick it would register as a "down" push. i don't think the game directly interfaces with the controller. i *think* the controller sends signals to the os/kernel/bios or whatever you want to call the thing that's running the game and that controller driver (which may be a part of the bios?) could possibly be modified to allow inversion...

#6 ShadowElitePro

ShadowElitePro

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 08:48 PM

Well I dont think its the bios but im almost positive its the game. But keep searching.

#7 Chedawan

Chedawan

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:00 PM

To be usable and practical though, it'd have to be an in dash command like for example evox igr, however like igr I think it'd have to be in from the ground up, not just as an added command to your config file.

Think about it, if this really was at bios level, you'd have to rewrite everything! Your dash would be registering everything backwards, which would be a bugger to get used to, and everything outside of the game itself would be the wrong way round... as would the games that actually are inverted.

Unless you had this hacked, hacked bios on a completely different chip bank I can't see it being viable, sorry, just my opinion.

So, it may be possible at dash level, but I wouldn't expect it to be a feature implemented anytime soon unless you try coding it yourself. It may be easier to search around and see if someone's actually created a hack or patch for individual games to do this?

I hope i'm wrong and you get this sorted, and if you do, I'll eat my words and be first in the queue 'to get me some of that' Best of luck.

Edited by Chedawan, 05 December 2005 - 09:04 PM.

#8 Chedawan

Chedawan

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:12 PM

I know this isn't the solution you're looking for really... But:

I'm not certain, but pretty sure that the little gizmo Joyfrag will allow you to use a mouse and keyboard through the xbox, and will allow you to set up mouse look as inverted regardless of game settings (not sure how this goes on when you enter menus, inventory screens e.t.c. as I would imagine it's not 'intelligent' enough to pick up on this itself).

So that's an option... as is working out how they do this and applying the idea to a controller... ain't going to be easy, but a major victory if you do.

#9 jine4

jine4

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE(Chedawan @ Dec 5 2005, 12:07 PM) View Post

To be usable and practical though, it'd have to be an in dash command like for example evox igr, however like igr I think it'd have to be in from the ground up, not just as an added command to your config file.

Think about it, if this really was at bios level, you'd have to rewrite everything! Your dash would be registering everything backwards, which would be a bugger to get used to, and everything outside of the game itself would be the wrong way round... as would the games that actually are inverted.

i think the dash command could patch the bios image *in memory* just before running the problem game.

as far as menus go - the right thumbstick is rarely (never?) used in them and it's the only thing we'd want to invert.

anyways it looks like no one has done this and i am certainly not smart enough to do it myself... no doom 3 or castlevania for me.

Edited by jine4, 05 December 2005 - 09:40 PM.

#10 Chedawan

Chedawan

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:42 PM

Have a quick glance at this.
Never heard of the fps master controller myself, but worth a look I'd say.

Also, that thread includes a guide to altering a controller, to get invert would be easier by the look of it, than what it actually suggests!

Oooh just noticed, my 200th post! Cheers to all in the scene beerchug.gif

Edited by Chedawan, 05 December 2005 - 09:44 PM.

#11 jine4

jine4

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:34 PM

that llamma link sort of gives an idea on how to add a couple of switches to the controller to invert X and Y on the right stick (swap power/ground). maybe i'll try that...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users