• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 walker51985

walker51985

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:09 PM

Hey all. I recently got myself a 300gb hard drive then to my discust when i opened the packet i realised i'd ordered the wrong bloody one! i've sent a request to have the product changed but i'm not sure if they will as i didnt check it till 8 days after (was waiting for the chip to arrive first) and so i've got the choice of either to sell the drive and get an IDE one, or if one exists get a convertor.

Has anyone done the same as me or kno if a convertor exists and where to aquire. Or does anyone want to buy the drive from me tongue.gif

Thanks a lot,
Scott

#2 deadparrot

deadparrot

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:20 PM

The converters exist, bu I have no idea if they will work with the xbox (should do though). Just google IDE to SATA or vice versa.

#3 Allegro1

Allegro1

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 06:39 PM

http://www.cables4co...groupcode=S0353

But this takes up quite a bit of room. I would try to use this only if I had a notebook (2" SATA) drive and wanted to put this into an xbox. You really got a great bargain if you got a SATA drive for an IDE price, but of course, it is not what you wanted. I just got a 300GB Maxtor retail boxed ATA drive for $90, but intend to use it to replace my 200 GB PC HDD and put the 200 into another xbox.

#4 xalvalt

xalvalt

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:25 PM

Those converters are like $20. I did the same thing, ordered the wrong one, but I just sent it back and ordered an IDE one.

#5 slingshot2170

slingshot2170

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Interests:Biology, chemistry, science, electrical engineering
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 09 December 2005 - 12:06 AM

Theoretically, it should work. It just converts the SATA connection to an IDE. Hell if I had a pinout, I could probably form my own converter. I almost did the same thing once though.. I saw PATA on the box and I thought it said SATA so I took it back to the guy and asked him about it, and he said that PATA was IDE.. I felt stupid. But in theory it should work. Just to be safe though, I'd send it back for an IDE. That way you don't blow money on a converter.

#6 Code-Runner

Code-Runner

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 09 December 2005 - 12:11 AM

Like everyone else said, it will work in the xbox but you will need to not only get the converter but you will also have to mod the tray and possibly play around with the fan for you will have to remove some of the cowling shield on the hdd tray that directs air flow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users