blame canada

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:04 AM

well, if you read some of my other posts the past day or so, youd know that I just installed an 80mm fan last night. anyways, before that, i had the stock fan w/ a 12v adapter. since the 80mm fan install, ive noticed some high temps. after playing 20-30 mins of a game (of the dvd, not off the hd), the cpu was 118 f, and the mobo was 118 f. ive read that 120 f was the ideal/highest temp you want for the mobo. here are my options: 1. do a hd tray fan (for my 7200 rpm maxtor) 2. do a side intake fan or 3. put the stock fan back in along with its 12v adapter and have the low temps I had before the 80mm fan. also, ive read about the grated metal sheilding in front of the fan can be removed for better airflow, but does it really make a difference? btw, lucky me got a v1.0 which makes the temps worse (gpu fan). thanx!

#2 Vfreitas

Vfreitas

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:29 AM

First thing I always tell people to do when installing their 80mm is to make sure you're running off of the 12v line, not the 5v, that seems to be a common mistake in these "I installed a 80mm and my temps suck" threads. Also, I really don't see anything wrong with those temps. I have a v1.0 with a 80mm fan (with an adjustable speed knob), and right now my I'm running at 118 CPU/ 108 MB after two hours of being idle. If anything I'd say make sure the box isn't stuffed up with dust.

#3 blame canada

blame canada

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:40 AM

ok, well im almost positive its the 12v line because its an led fan, and they arent dim at all. the way that I wired it to be the 12v, is that I cut the black wire and screwed it down in the nearest hole in the mobo. would that be why the temps are so high?? im just surprised that after an 80mm fan upgrade, its still hovering above what it should be. any suggestions on how I should try an alternative 12v source (ive tried the hd 12v adapter too) to test this?

EDIT: I read the part about where you said my temps arent that bad, so I guess ill try cleaning some dust out and see how that goes.

LOL EDIT2: well, I guess that the temps were higher because I had the case off when testing them. I put the case on about 30 mins ago, and the temps are now 117 cpu/108 mobo. I guess having the case on helps lol. thanx anyways!

Edited by blame canada, 06 December 2005 - 01:46 AM.

#4 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 06 December 2005 - 02:35 AM

LOL EDIT2: well, I guess that the temps were higher because I had the case off when testing them. I put the case on about 30 mins ago, and the temps are now 117 cpu/108 mobo. I guess having the case on helps lol. thanx anyways!

having the case on allows for proper airflow over the parts that need to be cooled, havin git open disrupts this airflow and you dont get good ventilation

seriously though, all this emphasis on cooling is a little overblown if you ask me, i run at 140F cpu all day and have never seen a problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users