2 replies to this topic

#1 mattstl77

mattstl77

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:48 PM

I am relatively new to this website, but I would like to compliment everyone on their willingness to help everyone. With that in mind, I need some viewpoints.

I do not own a HDTV. I wish I did, but my wife said it was either the 360 or an HDTV. I chose the 360 (have yet to get it though...grrr). Beside hijacking a Best Buy delivery truck, here are my options:
1. Keep the AV cable that comes with both systems and suffer through the AV video quality until I can get a HDTV.
2. Get a S-Video AV cord to play on our TV. I have read that if you do not have an HDTV but a TV with S-Video outlet, the picture is better than the normal AV cable.
3. Get a VGA AV cable and play on my 17 inch LCD laptop. I have heard that this is also the way to go if you want Hi Def gaming, but do not have the HDTV. I would also think that my computer's graphic card would have nothing to do with the quality of picture on my LCD.

One more question: Can I exchange for credit my HD AV cord or my AV Cord (depending on whether or not I get a Premium) for store credit toward one of these cables in EB, Gamestop, or BB?

In due time, I would probably get both S-Video and VGA cables. I was wondering if anyone had some ideas on this.

Thanks!

#2 JeffPinkston

JeffPinkston

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:15 PM

I would not expect any stores to be willing to exchange any cables that came with the system for store credit, but they may give you a few bucks and treat it as used. Unfortunately, new cables cost $40!

I find that the VGA cables work fantastic displaying 720p on my projector. The only issue with this, is that if you only use a 17 inch monitor, with the 720p 16:9 aspect ratio, the image will probably be too small to get maximum enjoyability.

I know you said you weren't planning on buying HDTV, but I do have to insert that I only paid $500 for a brand new Sharp XR-1S projector on Ebay that displays up to 1035i. Very sweet projector at a very sweet price and you can probably find one comparable.

If are going to stay away from HD, use the S-Video cable for best output.

Hope that helps.

#3 Glimflicker

Glimflicker

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:21 PM

1. Keep the AV cable that comes with both systems and suffer through the AV video quality until I can get a HDTV.
2. Get a S-Video AV cord to play on our TV. I have read that if you do not have an HDTV but a TV with S-Video outlet, the picture is better than the normal AV cable.

Set your resolution on your laptop to 640x480 and try browsing the web for a few minutes. Next, set your resolution to 800x600 and again try browsing the web for a few minutes. Which do you prefer? (I'd personally go for S-Video over standard RCA any day).
3. Get a VGA AV cable and play on my 17 inch LCD laptop. I have heard that this is also the way to go if you want Hi Def gaming, but do not have the HDTV. I would also think that my computer's graphic card would have nothing to do with the quality of picture on my LCD.

Your graphics card is completely out of the loop as far as input to the LCD screen is concerned. I personally don't like console gaming on anything other than my television, but it will offer you another gain over S-Video.
One more question: Can I exchange for credit my HD AV cord or my AV Cord (depending on whether or not I get a Premium) for store credit toward one of these cables in EB, Gamestop, or BB?

It doesn't come in the normal packaging, so pulling that off would be quite an accomplishment (though I don't put anything past WalMart's return policy).

So basically I'd recommend S-Video if you like playing on your TV, and VGA if you don't mind playing on your laptop's LCD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users