Photo

Scared Of Buying A 360 Because Of The 'reported' Problems?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 BigBen2Ward

BigBen2Ward

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:06 PM

http://xbox360.ign.c...3/673686p1.html

this is ANOTHER REASURRING ARTICLE THAT MOST 360'S ARE JUST FINE!! The scratch disk thing, well what can you do, but other then that, this article is very helpful. I have tried to tell people this exact story that this does happen with 360s, and that MS can actually be nice and helpful (hard to believe), but its true.

just thought id fill u in on that new ign story

#2 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:22 PM

To give you an idea of how wide spread this thing has become, I went home to help my father buy a new HDTV the other day, when we came back from the store my mother said "I heard on the news that most of the new Xbox things are defective and that MS is probably going to have a class action law suit against them forcing them to do a recall. I know you bought one is yours ok?"

With media coverage like that who need enemies dry.gif

#3 MysticalJet

MysticalJet

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:27 PM

This is exactly why I believe MS went at this whole launch thing wrong. Bad publicity about the systems, bad publicity about short supply.

#4 is this name taken too?

is this name taken too?

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:56 PM

Unhappy people always are the loudest. I know 3 people with 360's and all of them are fine.

#5 MysticalJet

MysticalJet

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:10 PM

Lets hold our opinions until longer term reliability is determined. I'd like to see how the 360 lasts beyond 6 months. I bought an XBOX on day 1 - lasted about 1.5 years then died. Bought another that lasted about 6 months, then died. After the second one, that is when I got into fixing and modding - didn't want to give MS any more of my money. At the time, I swore off any new MS game consoles ... or at least until the 360 had been out for 1 yr so all the bugs were worked out. I am finding it difficult to wait though, and if I happen to come across one- I may just have to buy it.

#6 Jeep75

Jeep75

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:11 PM

Hopefully less people will show up on the 18th because of these rumors biggrin.gif

#7 Greenpants200

Greenpants200

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:17 PM

That 3-5% was just a comment by MS. I'm sure they can manipulate the numbers. Not saying that they're lying, but it's obvious that they wouldn't blatantly claim "yes our console has more problems than any previous ones." Not bashing in any case, just observation.

#8 LowProfileWurm

LowProfileWurm

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:23 PM

The old addage "Beware of stupid people in large numbers" certainly applies here. More so, "Beware of stupid people in large numbers with technology they don't understand." I bet 3 of every 4 people who are hollering about their 360 dying was stupid enough to not give it appropriate breathing room. These are the same people who put their PC in a desk cabinet without ventilation.

I'm not saying some aren't defective... not at all. But idiots that don't account for the massive amounts of heat that FOUR highclock processing units puts out have nothing to cry about. It's not like MS isn't doing all they can to replace overheated product.

#9 Phizzy

Phizzy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:24 PM

Take it for what it is worth, but I only personally know one person that owns an Xbox 360, and his 360 died after 5 minutes of playing it.

#10 asnpcwiz

asnpcwiz

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE(Phizzy @ Dec 7 2005, 03:31 PM) View Post

Take it for what it is worth, but I only personally know one person that owns an Xbox 360, and his 360 died after 5 minutes of playing it.

Sucks to be him. So by that reasoning I can say...I know only 1 person that owns a 360...myself, and I've never had a problem with mine. That means that 100% of the people I know with 360's have no problems!!! Take it for what it is worth.

#11 ball3

ball3

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 10:58 PM

Take it for what it is worth, but I personally know three others that own a Xbox 360, and me included equals 4 out of 4 X360's without any problems what so ever.

#12 incognegro

incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE(MysticalJet @ Dec 7 2005, 09:17 PM) View Post

Lets hold our opinions until longer term reliability is determined. I'd like to see how the 360 lasts beyond 6 months. I bought an XBOX on day 1 - lasted about 1.5 years then died. Bought another that lasted about 6 months, then died. After the second one, that is when I got into fixing and modding - didn't want to give MS any more of my money. At the time, I swore off any new MS game consoles ... or at least until the 360 had been out for 1 yr so all the bugs were worked out. I am finding it difficult to wait though, and if I happen to come across one- I may just have to buy it.

Its funny, cause i bought mine on day 1 (launch) and it never gave me any problems except for my thompson drive messing up (but thats because of the experimenting i did with it) and that was 2 years after. My ps2 on the other hand.......died within 6 months (and this wasnt at launch, where all hardware problems usually surface for a console). It was a blessing in disguise really cause i never liked it anyway. My gamecube, well, defective or not its still useless....lol

#13 Statecowboy

Statecowboy

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE(LowProfileWurm @ Dec 7 2005, 03:30 PM) View Post

The old addage "Beware of stupid people in large numbers" certainly applies here. More so, "Beware of stupid people in large numbers with technology they don't understand." I bet 3 of every 4 people who are hollering about their 360 dying was stupid enough to not give it appropriate breathing room. These are the same people who put their PC in a desk cabinet without ventilation.

I'm not saying some aren't defective... not at all. But idiots that don't account for the massive amounts of heat that FOUR highclock processing units puts out have nothing to cry about. It's not like MS isn't doing all they can to replace overheated product.

It's not marketed as a pc though, it's marketed as a gaming console, therefore the designers should have thought of people putting them into cabinets without ventilation, or God knows where else. Bad cooling approach. It would have been just as easy to elevate the vent openings to ensure no intakes or exhausts get clogged.

EDIT: AND YOUR GAME CUBE ISN'T USELESS!!! MARIO KART !!!

Edited by Statecowboy, 07 December 2005 - 11:03 PM.

#14 MysticalJet

MysticalJet

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE(incognegro @ Dec 7 2005, 05:08 PM) View Post

Its funny, cause i bought mine on day 1 (launch) and it never gave me any problems except for my thompson drive messing up (but thats because of the experimenting i did with it) and that was 2 years after. My ps2 on the other hand.......died within 6 months (and this wasnt at launch, where all hardware problems usually surface for a console). It was a blessing in disguise really cause i never liked it anyway. My gamecube, well, defective or not its still useless....lol

I hear ya. I bought a "broken" PS2 off ebay, then fixed the system and saved myself about 1/2 the cost of a new one.

#15 tiavo

tiavo

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:19 PM

Bad cooling? How exactly did you expect them to calculate the common sense of the average gamer. All I can say about cooling is that common sense may just not be so common. lol Four high clocked Chips in a cabinet come on. Lol.

Edited by tiavo, 07 December 2005 - 11:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users