zombie4rave

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 December 2005 - 03:36 PM

Man, I still dont get all this tv shopping. HD sets have been around for years now and there is some (I'll admit not a lot of) HD programming that looks amazing. But its taken a video game console to finally push people into buying one? I'd pick HDNET over any graphics my 360 can push out. Is anyone else with me here? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad more people are getting into this market but I never thought an Xbox would be the deal maker.

#2 is this name taken too?

is this name taken too?

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:34 PM

I bought mine about a year ago. I have digital cable, but the HD channels aren't available where I live yet (I live in some sort of geographic anomally apparently mad.gif ). Prices have really dropped since I bought mine, which I would think is more what is convincing people to buy one. My set cost $1600 a year ago, now I've seen it for $1200.

Edited by is this name taken too?, 07 December 2005 - 05:37 PM.

#3 ohbrian

ohbrian

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:03 PM

I think it has very little to do with the xbox 360, and very much to do with the plummeting prices of HD sets and increased programming availability. Now that Plasma and LCD TV's with the added pimp factor of being thin are priced within reach of more consumers it starting to pick up. This was happening long before the release of the xbox 360.

QUOTE(zombie4rave @ Dec 7 2005, 03:43 PM) View Post

Man, I still dont get all this tv shopping. HD sets have been around for years now and there is some (I'll admit not a lot of) HD programming that looks amazing. But its taken a video game console to finally push people into buying one? I'd pick HDNET over any graphics my 360 can push out. Is anyone else with me here? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad more people are getting into this market but I never thought an Xbox would be the deal maker.

#4 slcsnkman

slcsnkman

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:04 PM

I purchased my 55 in HDTV about 2 years ago..Mitsubishi. I bought it because of PQ..Hell all I watch is HD: Discover HD, INHD1, INHD2, ESPN HD..all my local programming is in HD...I love it...why spend so much just to play xbox or PS? havent figured that out yet

#5 punda

punda

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:05 PM

I think it's just the good deals that stores are offering this holiday season that entices people to upgrade their tv sets.

I bought my KDF60XBR 2 years ago and still use rabbit ears to pick up OTA local HD channels. I didn't want to pay an extra $10 from DTV to get an extra 4 channels that I can't get OTA. I'm also waiting for DTV to come out with MP4 next year=100s of HD channels.

#6 feflicker

feflicker

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:10 PM

Have you seen the Xbox 360 on an HDTV versus a standard TV? It is night/day, the 360 was designed for Hi-Res... I don't have an HDTV yet, but I have been thinking about the upgrade since I saw the 360 on one. Regular TV shows/movies isn't that big of a deal to me to make me buy it, but the games are what I am most impressed with..

#7 Master X

Master X

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:14 PM

I bought my 62" Toshiba 5 months ago because of Xbox 360. I would never buy a HDTV for just movies and tv programs just not worth it.

Edited by Master X, 07 December 2005 - 06:15 PM.

#8 Rubix42

Rubix42

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 07 December 2005 - 07:04 PM

I've been saving up to buy a plasma for a year now.

As the prices keep dropping, I get closer to my goal, but I still don't have a ton of cash on hand. The surge in sales has far more to do with the price of the HDTV's than the 360. Once they have reached a very reasonable level, standard TV's will go the way of the dinosaur. . .

#9 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 07:13 PM

I got into HDTV 5 years ago, mainly so I could watch dvds in 480p. Xbox came around and supported the same res so it was all good timing.

Like others have said, prices are dropping rapidly, and let us not forget its that time of the year when we love to shop.

#10 zombie4rave

zombie4rave

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 07:19 PM

I understand that a lot of us already have them. Ive had mine for about 4yrs now. Im just seeing a lot of threads here lately asking advice on which hdtv to buy, questions about resolutions, ect.....It seemed weird to me that this console was the final push for some people to buy an HDTV.

Edited by zombie4rave, 07 December 2005 - 07:20 PM.

#11 wittangamo

wittangamo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 07:21 PM

I've been enjoying HDTV for almost two years. Most big sporting events and network series are HD now, and an upscaling DVD player makes movies a treat.

With the cost of HD sets dropping to $400-600 for a 26-34" CRT and about a grand for a big rear projection set, buying a standard TV at this point makes no sense, IMHO. Many people don't realize that if you live in a metro area you can receive all the locals in HD for free with a $20 antenna.

The Xbox 360 -- if I can ever find one -- will be a nice addition to my home theater setup, and I have a $49 Kmart wireless adapter ready to connect it to the PC with my photos, mp3s and an ATI HDTV Wonder that can tune and record HD shows free over the airwaves.

#12 Phizzy

Phizzy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

I'm buying an HDTV partially because of the Xbox 360 (even though I don't have one yet), but mostly because the prices are dropping and there is a lot more HD programming than there used to be.

#13 asnpcwiz

asnpcwiz

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

QUOTE(zombie4rave @ Dec 7 2005, 09:43 AM) View Post

Man, I still dont get all this tv shopping. HD sets have been around for years now and there is some (I'll admit not a lot of) HD programming that looks amazing. But its taken a video game console to finally push people into buying one?

You are not a hardcore gamer if you can't see why people are doing this? I've had my HDTV for over 2 years now and I'm estatic people are buying more of them. The more people buy HDTV's, the more programming will become available. Hopefully DVD's and movies will catch up soon and realize that they need to put stuff in 720p or 1080i and start doing true 16:9...I'm glad the video game industry is with it.

#14 tayl0124

tayl0124

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 07:56 PM

I believe the 360 has just pushed people to do it sooner. I know that I am thinking about it now. I know people who bought hdtv setups 3 or 4 years ago, and they figured that it was a waste of thier money for the most part. They were really expensive at the time, and even with dtv they only got like 10 high-def channels. But times are changeing. The switch to only high-def broadcasting is getting near. I have read that by 2009 al sdtv's will require a hd tuner to recieve local channels. I do know that any tv that I purchase from this point on will be high-def. It would be stupid to buy anything else. I haven't made up my mind yet on weather I want a plasma, lcd, crt, or projector. I am leaning towards a projector, as I believe the lamps can be replaced easier. And with the plasma's short life. But I think i would also get a crt for everyday television viewing. But that could be a whole nother thread.

Happy- HDTVing

#15 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:00 PM

I forgot to mention that my brother and cousin both bought dlp projectors just for 360 gaming. Another cousin got one just for 360, we found one of those $650.00 samsung sets at target for $350.00 smile.gif

Why is it pushing them? Im assuming they want to take full advantange of their 360s. Price played a part too, seeing how cheap Projectors are now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users