Photo

Xbox, How Much Longer Do You Think You'll Use The Original Console

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

Poll: Xbox, how much longer do you think you'll use the original console?

Xbox, how much longer do you think you'll use the original console?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#106 lord^infamous

lord^infamous

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:04 PM

Just as many are saying, I'm going to use my xbox until my 360 can do EVERYTHING my xbox does. Graphics just aren't that important to me.

#107 Lamer123

Lamer123

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Interests:Games
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:36 PM

XBMC will never become obsolete as long as I can still get content in 720x480

#108 prplehz

prplehz

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Interests:Romance, Audio/Video, Computers, Video Games, Skiing, Swimming.

Posted 15 December 2005 - 11:42 PM

I will always have my xbox. I love my 360 except for the media funtions. I can't even get the stupid software to run on my pc right so I can share files with my 360. I found that if I delete Program.exe on C drive it will work but, ya that causes all kinds of crap to happen with other things. So since you can't even use video files anyways I just gave up on it. But the games on the 360 that I have played are amazing. I can hardly imagine 2nd or even 3rd generation titles. But unless the 360 gets either modded or better media funtionality. I will always us my xboxs. love.gif

#109 sonicbootie

sonicbootie

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 01:01 AM

I love my modded xbox. I recently ordered a 360 bundle, got it in the mail, and stared at the unopened box for about 8 hours before deciding to sell it on Ebay! Why? The biggest reason was because of the lack of Divx / Xvid support. I think MS really screwed up not allowing support for these video formats on the 360. grr.gif

I don't play games nearly as much as I use XBMC to play content from my PC, and even with the 360 / Media Center Extender action, XBMC still blows it away.

Kudos to the XBMC team and the modding community (especially Xecuter) for putting out such badass products... I'm sure the 360 will show up in my entertainment setup someday, but for now it's old school Xbox modded bliss... love.gif

#110 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE(Xijar @ Dec 13 2005, 07:55 AM) View Post

I'm still looking to buy more Xboxes. I think 6 is my target (currently at 3). Until the Xbox360 modding scene is as developed as Xbox's is, I find much more value in an Xbox than an Xbox 360. And yeah, gotta have some pretty damn good emulation programs out there.

I agree completely. Until the XBOX360 modding scene REALLY gets underway and it can do all of the functions that an original modded XBOX, then I will hold on to the original. I hardly use my XBOX for XBOX games. I use it primarily for XBMC and Emus. The first we saw a decent version of XBMC and a good selection of decent emus for the XBOX wasn't until late '03, early '04. The original XBOX came out in late 2001, so it is reasonable to assume that the 360 will take more than a year before it can reasonably perform those functions like the original XBOX. Also, let's face it, if the original XBOX goes belly up it is a HELL of alot cheaper and easier to replace than the 360.

#111 8bitbeta

8bitbeta

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:13 AM

I don't think the Media Center on the 360 compares to XBMC. I'll always have my xbox going.

#112 TSOPrano

TSOPrano

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:21 AM

The 360 will never replace my big black 9" co--console.

Well at least until it gets modded and XBMC is put on it.

#113 DV8ORMODS

DV8ORMODS

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:PS3 version 1.0 no update waiting for iso loader
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d

Posted 16 December 2005 - 12:09 PM

After modding the xbox and doing to it for money I began to hate it so I will be getting rid of all my xbox memoribillia and going to 360 stuff sorry but the xbox is ancient and 360 is where its at

#114 Mothra

Mothra

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 05:37 PM

Seems to me many of us have been spoiled by XBMC. Getting an Xbox 360 would be a large leap backwards in almost every way except graphics. And I've really stopped caring about the graphics in my video games recently.

Compare the first crop of Xbox 360 games with their PS2/GameCube/Xbox equivalents and they play exactly the same. The fact that the graphics are not as sharp and detailed as the 360 version becomes unnoticable after about 5 minutes of play, because you're in the zone by then, concentrating on what you have to do to progress.

I think the PS3 is going to be the same. Nice graphics, same old games, and the graphical leap is going to be nowhere near the same as from the original PlayStation to the PS2.

To be honest (and I know this is going to sound like heresy on this forum) the machine I'm most looking forward to at the moment is the Nintendo Revolution. Instead of simply going for the graphical jugular, it looks as if they've put some real thought into producing a machine that people will enjoy. Kids will like it because kids' games are what Nintendo do best, and old gits like me will like it because I can play all the old NES/SNES/N64 classics out of one unit. I think my Xbox will keep me happy until then.

#115 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:38 PM

Even if I get a 360, I will still use XBMC or turn my Xbox's into Linux web servers.

#116 kowrip

kowrip

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:LOTS OF STUFF !
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:51 PM

I'll be using my original Xboxes for many years to come. I won't even buy an Xbox 360 until it's modded with capabilities similar to what my modded Xboxes can do. The last generation of consoles has gotten us to the point where games look so good and have such good replayability. Besides, all of my friends have Xboxes and we all still love to play on Xlink Kai. We've all got plenty to keep us busy until Xbox 360 gets modded or PS3 comes out and looks more attractive.

#117 Lizotte

Lizotte

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE(KMFDM @ Dec 13 2005, 05:30 AM) View Post

i would have to agree, i havent touch my xbox since i got the 360. all my love goes to my new baby. love.gif

I'm still using mine. Mostly as a media player, but my daughter is still playing the barbie horse game on it too biggrin.gif Its on a different tv anyhow wink.gif

#118 Bender_Unit_1

Bender_Unit_1

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:21 PM

Indefnite usage - until the sucker burns out! I still use my 1.0 xbox with few issues. And as I even still have the good 'ol Atari 2600 in my room, I forsee the xbox getting a lot of usage for years to come. It does everything I could ever want it to do, plus more. It's all about the amazing homebrew - ports (Q2 especially for me), emulators, XBMC, and the miscellaneous homebrew games that add to my current library of games. I can't get enough of what I have, so there's no point in switching for me.

Even if I fall in and buy the new one, it doesn't mean the old one would completely be unused. There's always good use of hardware!

-Bender

#119 game_mattster

game_mattster

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:47 PM

I'll never retire my Xbox. I still have every console I have ever owned. N64, PS, GBA, DC, Xbox. Besides I have over a 100 games I havent played yet and am hanging to play them. Currently I am playing The Warriors and goddamn that game rules. Next I will start on the Burnout Series.

When the 360 can emulate every game on the Xbox I may upgrade to that but until then I will stick to my good old trusty Xbox.

#120 sabbath_dude

sabbath_dude

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Rock music, Beer
  • Xbox Version:v1.6c
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 17 December 2005 - 12:25 AM

I love my xbox way too much to stop using it. After all the time, money and love spent modding it I dont see myself letting it gather dust anytime soon. Although the 360s graphics are better (and thats basically the only thing it has against a current modded box) its just not worth the money at the moment. Im looking forward to buying the cheap as hell trade-ins after xmas when people start to get rid of their old boxs in exchange for the 360. I'll be buying a couple to turn into media centres and just to do some creative and fun modding!. Like everyone else has been saying you just cant beat XBMC!. Oh yeah and why would i want to buy a console I have to actually buy games for...ahem....
I look forward to a modded 360 with XBMC athough no doubt thats far far away at the moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users