10 replies to this topic

#1 tribalnoise

tribalnoise

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 07:44 PM

if this is possible, please let me know how.

i have a 160gb western digital drive (internal) and i am using an external enclosure to connect it to my laptop via usb/firewire.

thanks.

Edited by tribalnoise, 15 December 2005 - 07:45 PM.

#2 T-Bagz

T-Bagz

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 15 December 2005 - 07:49 PM

And you want to stop using it with your laptop and put it in your xbox? Is it an IDE drive? If so, check the compatibility list to see if it is on there. If its not on the list, it still may work, mine wasn't listed but works just fine, though you wont know until you try.

#3 slingshot2170

slingshot2170

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Interests:Biology, chemistry, science, electrical engineering
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 15 December 2005 - 08:16 PM

If you want to partition like half of it for Xbox and half for PC, I don't think this can be done. However, as long as you can actually pull the hard drive out of the enclosure, and it has a 40 pin IDE and a 4 pin molex on the back, then you can put it in an Xbox. 95% of drives are compatible, but there are a few that aren't.

http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/

Check that for your model of the drive.

#4 tribalnoise

tribalnoise

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 05:24 AM

my hdd is not from my laptop. it used to be in my desktop before i sold the desktop. i am trying to prepare the hdd using my laptop. the hdd has been formatted too. all the directions i have read for installing a larger hdd in my xbox tell me to to designate the hdd as master before i plug it in to my pc. i'm assuming this is to make the linux program install the necessary info to the proper drive. but i can't make my hdd the master for my laptop. so i'm stuck. i can't imagine i'm the first to try this though wink.gif

#5 StepsAscend

StepsAscend

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 16 December 2005 - 07:11 AM

Well it doesn't matter if you're using a desktop or a laptop to download the software. Just go by tutorials.

#6 tribalnoise

tribalnoise

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 07:39 AM

but the tutorials only talk about using a pc. if i go by the tutorial using Xbox Maker and Recovery Tool (the linux iso cd), i think it will wipe out my laptop's hdd. will it recognize the drive i have connected externally to my laptop?

#7 ItchyB

ItchyB

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 December 2005 - 07:52 AM

You need to find out if xboxhdm supports usb, if not it wont work. I take you are trying to make a softmodded drive.

#8 tribalnoise

tribalnoise

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE(ItchyB @ Dec 16 2005, 07:59 AM) View Post

You need to find out if xboxhdm supports usb, if not it wont work. I take you are trying to make a softmodded drive.

yup, i successfully softmodded my xbox drive but now i want a bigger hdd in the xbox. i was hoping someone here could help me out since i only have a laptop to work with instead of a pc.

#9 SirHexx

SirHexx

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:12 AM

I'v never personally heard of anyone trying to setup a larger softmod hdd from just a laptop... and i cant think of anyway of doing it... except for MAYBE a hot swap with an installer premade with the original lock key setup....... on second thought how would you get the lock/unlock codes from a brand new hdd without using a pc?... nope.. sorry buddy ... i think you're SOL on this one.... if you have a friend with a chip mod you can probably do something like swipe your eeprom with his and set up the hdd that way..

sorry not much help i know.... but i was bored and felt like posting
good luck
beerchug.gif

#10 tribalnoise

tribalnoise

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:57 AM

can i ghost my hdd instead? will that work?

#11 Pyro0623

Pyro0623

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Computers and technology, Xbox moddin', Playin' vids on my xbox.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:06 AM

if your feeling lucky, you can hotswap your hard drive after "booting" (I use the term loosely since you have a softmod) off an evox disk with format and lock options, then ftp your C and E partitions back in. The worst that can happen is your xbox will lock up, and you will just have to plug the origianal drive back in and reboot. if your interested let me know and i'll help ya out as much as i can from this end.

on second thought how would you get the lock/unlock codes from a brand new hdd without using a pc?

What keys, it's a brand new drive, never been locked before, why would it have a key assigned?

Edited by Pyro0623, 16 December 2005 - 11:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users