#1 devguy

devguy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:26 AM

I am running the PBL-Metoo software exploit and it is loading an X2 4981 bios. The X2 4981 bios was originally a rom chip version, but I customized it to my needs, and then created a 256k BFM version of it. (The idea behind that was custom bios fan speed).

Anyways, my question is if I get my ram upgraded, will my Xbox detect it with the softmod? I have done research and the X2 4981 bios is recommended for 128mb ram, and I am using a converted rom chip X2 4981. Since the hacked bios isn't initially loaded, will the Xbox boot and when it arrives at my dash, Xbox Media Center, will the new memory be detected? Also, I have little interest in flashing my TSOP or buying a modchip in addition to memory chips, (and possibly installation if the job is out of my hands) so I would appreciate this not to be a "Go buy a chip" thread.

I want the new memory for Surreal 64, BTW. Maybe linux (DSL) if need be.

Thanks.

Edited by devguy, 16 December 2005 - 04:27 AM.

#2 Millenia1x

Millenia1x

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 December 2005 - 05:19 AM

ONE WORD,

....SEARCH....

NO FURTHER QUESTIONS.

#3 devguy

devguy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 03:27 PM

Well, I did a search before making this thread, and it seems this is a rather rare question and the answers given were not a straight, "yes" or "no" 128mb ram will work with a softmod running X2 4981.

All I want to know is a straight up answer, hopefully from someone who has done it, will it work? Yeah, if I am missing a very obvious thread with the answer, I apologize.

Edited by devguy, 16 December 2005 - 03:29 PM.

#4 devguy

devguy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 02:16 AM

bump?

#5 nickb834

nickb834

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:10 PM

I have done the ram upgrade on my xbox a couple of years ago but I never softmodded it.

That said, this is what you have to bear in mind whether soft modded or not:

The ONLY things that can make use of the 128MB is:

1) mame emulators (MameoX, mameX etc ect)
2) Linux (ONLY if booted from a Cromwell bios) if using Xbeboot it won't notice the extra.
3) Xbox Media Centre

I suspect that seeing as it is the Xbox that is aware of the extra 64MB rather than the bios (I never needed a custom bios to see the extra 64MB for emulators / xbmc) that however you load it ie softmod / hardmod that XBMC and Mame will see it and use it correctly.

So based on that, are you sure you still wanna do the upgrade, if you aren't using linux I really really wouldn't bother.

XBMC doesn't run noticeably faster, (I have a 128MB Xbox and a 64MB, the visualisations are the same on each), And newer versions of MameX have support for virtual memory so even 64MB Xboxes can load larger roms.

Xbox games will take absolutely no notice you have an extra 64mb so don't kid yourself that Halo2 will run any faster cos it won't! Although if you wanna reduce load times from games on HD do the ATA66 mod (it really is the ATA66 mod despite what people call it as it was ATA66 that defined the standard for the 80 conductor 40 pin IDE Cable).
This noticeably cuts down load times in most cases by a third, and sometimes only a quarter.

Also don't bother with the Xbox Ram Delimeter XBE utility, In my experience it makes no difference whatsoever if the code itself isn't aware of the extra 64MB.

To expressley answer your question then yes it will boot as bios that are unaware of the extra such as the stock MS BIOS still boot the 128MB xbox I have with the modchip turned off, with it on and using XBMC as dash (Which I do) then XBMC will see the extra 64MB.

I must admit that I think you are missing out on lots of cool features without a modchip but hey you are comfortable without! That said if you haven't installed a modchip I doubt that your soldering skills or tools are upto the job of soldering in 4 50pin SMD memory chips - no offence intended, but it is a right bast*** of a job. If you don't have a decent multimeter (Definately want a digital one for ease of use) a magnifying glass, desoldering braid, very fine tipped iron and plenty of patience then I'd get someone else to do it.

I'd offer to do it for you but I'm the other side of the pond from you (about 4750 miles the other side) in the UK and there is a problem with finding places that sell the chips and will deliver to the UK (Stegen electronics in Holland does but you can only pay by bank transfer which is 20 dollars for a 40 dollar transfer).

HTH

Nick

Edited by nickb834, 23 January 2006 - 05:23 PM.

#6 devguy

devguy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:45 AM

I had no intention of soldering the chips in myself. My father works with a guy who is a pro at soldering, and I was thinking of slipping him a $20 for his time.

BTW, your post makes it sound like I am an idiot. dry.gif Not sure if you meant for it to come out that way, but it did. I am very aware that Xbox games hard coded to use 64mb of RAM will not offer me a difference. I had no plans on playing Halo 2 with 128 mb ram and having it run better. Like I said, it is Surreal 64 that is giving me the interest, and having a second PC with DSL is always nice. Don't know if you are aware, but if you have a minimum of 128mb RAM, DSL has a cheatcode, toram, that loads the whole operating system into RAM, and it screams in speed.

I am mostly busy enjoying my gp2x for homebrew, and the Xbox simply as a media center. I planned on super smash with 128mb RAM, but I bought a Gamecube, specifically for Super Smash Melee, so the original isn't as good. In otherwords, unless I have it completely confirmed that you can work 128mb RAM and a softmod together and reap the benefits I stated, I think I will hold off.

#7 A Murder of Crows

A Murder of Crows

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Interests:Old School Sega Saturn Modder & XiaNaiX fan from the PSX mod days.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:50 AM

This has been driving me crazy.

using Krayzie's NDure 1.1.1, box will NOT see 128mb ram in programs that support it.

using x3 ce 3924, box WILL see 128mb ram.

bios does have something to do with it....if the program can not see the ram on it's own, it won't use it without a supporting bios.

#8 acacha1

acacha1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 04:41 PM

do you know where I can send my box to have the RAM and the bios upgrader? I want to improve my n64 roms.

#9 theperfekt001

theperfekt001

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:59 PM

See your other thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users