• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jojadi76

jojadi76

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:11 PM

Hello, I got this xbox from a friend, when I turn it on it makes a loud noise and I get a screen saying that my xbox needs repair, also the light flashes red and green, I decided to open it up and I found a loose condenser and this was on the motherboard, any suggestions? what can I do? sell it on ebay for parts? do you think it can be repaired? not worth it? thanks a lot for your suggestions.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

#2 hoobatech

hoobatech

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 17 December 2005 - 12:12 AM

that looks pretty shot, try cleaning it up with rubbing alcohol and see how bad it looks then, for what the caps cost you might as well try to fix it, i think they are about a buck each and you'll need at least 2.
the orange on the carbony-charred part kinda looks like the thing was on fire as you were taking the pic tongue.gif

#3 Code-Runner

Code-Runner

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 17 December 2005 - 03:01 AM

That's a V1.0 board with a fried aerogel but the board looks gone as well as a few traces. You can try by fixing it but I think it's pretty much toasted. Even after spending $6+ on the aerogel there is still the matter of testing the surrounding Capacitors and leads.

If you have lots of time and the parts on hand then I would say go for it but otherwise you just might need a new mobo/hdd combo.

#4 jojadi76

jojadi76

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 07:07 PM

Do you think it can be sold on ebay for parts showing all the details?? I've seen lots of broken xbox on ebay... sad.gif

#5 oxjeremy334

oxjeremy334

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,844 posts
  • Interests:Being a Rhinestone Cowboy
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 17 December 2005 - 08:45 PM

Well, since you opened it, that knocks off a lot of value from ebay. But you can scrap the parts if you want. Just give a detail of what is in the xbox, or just part it out (parting it out may bring in more money).

#6 Cappi

Cappi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Interests:Modding the crap out of xbox's
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 December 2005 - 09:07 PM

what is the error number? i would try fixing it there is nothing to lose and if you cant get it working then sell it on ebay.

#7 jojadi76

jojadi76

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE(Cappi @ Dec 17 2005, 03:14 PM) View Post

what is the error number? i would try fixing it there is nothing to lose and if you cant get it working then sell it on ebay.

Sometimes I get error 21 or error 16
It says YOUR XBOX REQUIRES SERVICE, PLEASE CALL XBOX TECHNICAL SUPPORT in many languages.

#8 deadparrot

deadparrot

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 11:57 PM

That looks pretty fucked to me. Good luck repairing those traces under there!

#9 jojadi76

jojadi76

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE(Code-Runner @ Dec 16 2005, 09:08 PM) View Post

That's a V1.0 board with a fried aerogel but the board looks gone as well as a few traces. You can try by fixing it but I think it's pretty much toasted. Even after spending $6+ on the aerogel there is still the matter of testing the surrounding Capacitors and leads.

Which one is the "aerogel"? you mean the capacitors??

#10 AfterTheInsanity

AfterTheInsanity

X-S Freak

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 12:16 AM

The 'Aerogel' is the capacitor that acts like a battery; it keeps the clock set. It is also the capacitor which blew up on his motherboard, spreading crap everywhere and probably ruining a few traces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users