• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:xenium spice
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 December 2005 - 12:44 AM

hi,

am am trying to remove my duox2 chip from my xbox. i used a solder iron and braid to remove all the solder from the pins at the back of the lpc, however the pinheader is still wedged in there pretty tight. has anyone any suggestions? would it be a bad idea to try any yank it out with pliars?

also i have noticed that there is a tiny resistor come loose close to the lpc port. i do not know if this happened previous to me trying to desolder the pinheader or during it. does that sound serious??

thanks

#2 greenday54261

greenday54261

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 December 2005 - 01:22 AM

Post pics of the broken resistor.

Realize, all pinheaders are the same. Except the ones that come with X3 chips (two extra pins). If you're taking out the DuoX to put in a new chip, keep the pinheader and just stick your new chip on it. Then solder any extra wires.

#3 6digitnumber

6digitnumber

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 01:54 AM

the chip i am replacing it with is a xenium spice, and the pinheader fro that looks different to the duox one, so i thought i would have to remove that 1st?

i dont have a digi-cam to take a pic of the resistor thats come loose, but it's the one next to the c7d2 point as you will see from this image i found on the web:)

thanks

IPB Image

#4 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,412 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 December 2005 - 02:05 AM

That's a fairly common problem for people with little xbox soldering exerience. I'm guessing you're referring the ceramic resistor next to the LPC. Yes, you'll need fix it before continuing.

#5 6digitnumber

6digitnumber

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 02:09 AM

how do i fix it? it looks too tiny to solder? also im not sure if it broke of cleanly or if it was damaged in the process, it's too tiny to tell!?

#6 6digitnumber

6digitnumber

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 02:20 AM

after checking the xbox repair guide it turns out that c7d2 is a capacitor rather than a resistor, any ideas how to fix it?

#7 6digitnumber

6digitnumber

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 03:11 AM

the capacitor near my lpc port has broken off. i am unsure if it was a clean break or wheter there are still pieces of it attached to the motherboard, it's kinda small so i can't tell!
i need to know 2 things....

1) How do i clean off any remains of the broken capacitor that may still be on the pads of the board?

2) is there some way of attaching a new capacitor to the board other than soldering it? (the capacitor is tiny and looks like a nightmare to solder)

thanks

#8 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 17 December 2005 - 01:40 PM

Get someone to do it for you. Its easy to fit for someone experienced at this and it sounds like you may damage the motherboard attempting it yourself
If you try to pull out the pinheader with pliers you will have bigger problems than that

Edited by Chancer, 17 December 2005 - 01:43 PM.

#9 lorraine82

lorraine82

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 10:54 PM

tools?

Edited by lorraine82, 17 December 2005 - 10:59 PM.

#10 6digitnumber

6digitnumber

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 11:01 PM

yes, i have a friend who can do the soldering for me, but he says the soldering iron and the solder he has is too big to use on something so small. what tools will he require for this? i have discovered the capacitor is a 4nf capacitor, if i buy another does it have to be exactly the same shape and size or is size not an important factor?

#11 Pyro0623

Pyro0623

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Computers and technology, Xbox moddin', Playin' vids on my xbox.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 18 December 2005 - 08:48 AM

As long as it's the same capacitance (4nF) and will fit on the pads, it'll work.
you will also need a 15-20 watt fine tip solder pencil and some .032 gauge flux core solder.
as for the header, grab one pin at a time with the pliers, and while heating up the other end of it, the one stuck in the board, GENTLY pull it out of the mobo and plastic frame.

Edited by Pyro0623, 18 December 2005 - 08:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users