thirdeye555

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 December 2005 - 08:59 PM

After hearing all the bad stories, anyone want to share some good experiences at best buy last night or anywhere else???

well heres mine:
best buy in grand rapids. despite the cold weather (about 20*F) id say it couldnt have gone any better. Line started at 9 pm, filled up (34 people for 34 consoles) id say around midnight. everyone was very cool, best buy let us use their power and extension cords, we had a tv and xbox going. local mall security brought chairs for those who needed them. several people brought pizza/fastfood to pass around. everyone was very lax about holding places to use restroom/quick warm up in car. Employee came out at 5 am and handing out tickets so we could stay warm til 8 am.

i hope alot of others were able to have a good time last night, and i for those that didnt get any, i wish you luck in securing one very soon..

#2 pakman21

pakman21

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:06 PM

whats funny is that for the re-launch a tent full of people here camped out since 9PM the night before, I showed up at 5 and sat in my car doing homework. At 7 they started handing out tickets and people showing up all got one. Granted only 20 people lined up but the people that showed up an hour before the store opened ended up getting one. Kinda sucks for the people that spent all nite there... and they only bought 1 (there were 4 of them camping out, i thought that was nutty as hell).

#3 MadPerry

MadPerry

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE(pakman21 @ Dec 18 2005, 03:13 PM) View Post

whats funny is that for the re-launch a tent full of people here camped out since 9PM the night before, I showed up at 5 and sat in my car doing homework. At 7 they started handing out tickets and people showing up all got one. Granted only 20 people lined up but the people that showed up an hour before the store opened ended up getting one. Kinda sucks for the people that spent all nite there... and they only bought 1 (there were 4 of them camping out, i thought that was nutty as hell).

your local store sounds like the exception to the rule. consider yourself very lucky.

#4 mdfirefighter

mdfirefighter

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE(MadPerry @ Dec 18 2005, 03:20 PM) View Post

your local store sounds like the exception to the rule. consider yourself very lucky.

VERY lucky. I had a positive experience last night/this morning. I got there quite early (3:30pm, yeah yeah call me a loser for waiting that long). There were already 4 people in line with dips on 3 boxes. Seeing as our store was slated to get 48 I felt good. It was FREAKIN cold out there (sub 10*F with constant snow). The BB employees found us all very amusing and kept telling us they weren't getting any (even the store manager). We held out and the real line started to get thicker at about midnight. We all were very cool about taking breaks and sharing food. Except for a lady that kept trying to cut her son in line with bribes (not cool at all). They ended up handing out tickets at 7am and let us in 10 at a time at 8am. All was very smooth and professional. I wish they would have had the heart to let us have tickets early and stay warm but, such is life. Met a lot of cool people and got to help out some kids that missed out on the launch. All in all a VERY cool (pun intended) night.

MDFF

#5 tracemhunter

tracemhunter

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:32 PM

launch night went good for me. i got there without knowning anybody and ended up meeting some cool people. it was pretty cool (~40F) but it wasnt too bad. some one brought a couple of cases of beer and we just relaxed. we all pitched in and got an assload of wings from the hooters up the street and a couple of cases of beer. granted, most of us waiting were college kids lol.

#6 rahula

rahula

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Interests:boose,food and chicks. Yeah Xbox too..
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:35 PM

San Francisco, California. It was raining really hard. But people showed up at 3pm on saturday afternoon. Lots of parents camp out with kids. I saw 3 families camping out and getting at least two for their family. One dude keep smoking weed all night. Two retarded played football in the rain. Most people left their lawn chair and went back to their cars and sleep/dry up.Lots of people showed up at midnight. Local K-9 unit patrolled the store and cops said we are crazy.BB let us use restroom until 11 pm. Around 6 am BB employees asked if anyone want to use their store restroom again. Called name and hand out tickets with coupon booklet. Those who didn't get ticket got coupon booklet too. Since its raining so hard, manager allow only ticket holders to form a line inside the store. They have to make several announcement outside to make people leave. At 8am, they let ticket holder go inside 5 at a time and it was given a standing ovation and applause from 15 BB employees. Nobody was allow to get inside the store until all xbox 360 sold out.

#7 enoh

enoh

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 18 December 2005 - 11:23 PM

The employees were cool at Best Buy in Chula Vista, CA. They brought out boxes of pizza to everyone waiting in line. They had 65 premiums and one core. I got in line a 6:30 p.m. and was around 60th in line. There were about 70 people in line most of the night but a few hours before 6 the line grew to about 150. At 6:30 a.m. they handed out tickets to every one waiting in line and I got number 57. People started selling their tickets to people who got their to late for between 200 and 300 dollars. I was tempted to sell it but decided to hold on to it. The doors opened at 8 I was out of the store at about 8:30 with my premium 360 in my hand.

#8 The_Xenocide

The_Xenocide

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 18 December 2005 - 11:44 PM

not so positive, my friend headed over to our bb last night around 10 pm ish and the line was full 38 for 24 boxes.....dunno why that many people stayed.....guess ill still wait for eb.....sigh

#9 solzun

solzun

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:24 AM

Best Buy in Appleglen Fort Wayne, IN was positive as well; neverminding the freezing weather and wind chill. I felt bad for a couple people in the back who waited all night with us thinking they were the very last ones (out of 24) to get Premiums only to realize during the passout-of-tickets at 7:30A.M. that there were miscounted people in the front since last night (probably at Wal-Mart or in their cars) so they ended up empty-handed. Needless to say they were pretty pissed and waited with the other 20 or so extra people behind them that were eagle-eyeing every single person going to buy a Xbox 360 in the merchant lanes, waiting for someone to have a bad credit-card transaction go through or a denied check (Best Buy, on both launch-day and today, had stated if you had any troubles at all with declined credit cards or checks they will simply hand out your ticket to the next person in line without waiting.) It worked for several people on launch day who came just hours before opening!

#10 CamaroGuy

CamaroGuy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:39 AM

mine and 3 friends experiences sucked, the sotre we went to was supposed to get 28, BB employed came out and took 24 names and said he should ahve more come morning, so we waited. 6AM rolls around and they come out and tell else all they got was 24, whena sked about the 28 they were supposed to get his response was "I don't know where you get your informatiom but I can't comment on that". The real kicker? me and my friends were 25-28 in line.

#11 lesman

lesman

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:I like computers. I like video games. I like Pepsi. I like playing with toys. mostly I LOVE MY WIFE
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 19 December 2005 - 01:30 AM

Well, I got mine on the 1st launch night (November 22nd), and it was great. It was the just newly built Wal Mart Supercenter. We all got to stay inside, there was chairs for everyone, and everyone got along, held spots for others, bought food, etc. A manager and a MS rep made sure we had drinks and stuff, it was awesome!

#12 stazi

stazi

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:<br />
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 December 2005 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE(thirdeye555 @ Dec 18 2005, 09:06 PM) View Post

After hearing all the bad stories, anyone want to share some good experiences at best buy last night or anywhere else???

well heres mine:
best buy in grand rapids. despite the cold weather (about 20*F) id say it couldnt have gone any better. Line started at 9 pm, filled up (34 people for 34 consoles) id say around midnight. everyone was very cool, best buy let us use their power and extension cords, we had a tv and xbox going. local mall security brought chairs for those who needed them. several people brought pizza/fastfood to pass around. everyone was very lax about holding places to use restroom/quick warm up in car. Employee came out at 5 am and handing out tickets so we could stay warm til 8 am.

i hope alot of others were able to have a good time last night, and i for those that didnt get any, i wish you luck in securing one very soon..

And this is the guy who got me a 360 smile.gif I'm in Australia and answered his ad asking if anyone still needs one. he camped out with a friend of his (having had one himself). I stayed up until 5:30am (our time) to find out if he got one.

Suddenly he comes online.
He keeps me in suspense.
Sends me one pic at a time.
First he sends:

IPB Image

Next,
IPB Image

Finally,
IPB Image

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 MadPerry

MadPerry

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:48 AM

i got mine the 22nd also. i had tried lining up at a 24 hour walmart starting at 2pm. being 18th in line, i figured i would at least get a core. unfortunately, the manager comes out and says they only have 12 total and only 2 of them premium.

being determined, i already had about 10 backup plans and immediately went to my next one. at about 4pm the 21st, with winter gear and chair in hand, i took the #3 spot at a walmart that opened at the following morning at 7am. the good news was that i was a lock for a system, the bad news was that it was a core. i decided to stay and tough out the 30 degree night. the people in line with me were terrific. at about 9:30, the electronics manager comes out and hands out tickets to the first 10 in line, and he tells us to go home, get warm, and get some sleep...just be back by 7am or it will be sold to someone else. we were a happy bunch.

knowing i needed a hard drive, i drove immediately to a target store. lo and behold, a single hard drive waiting for me!

we all arrive back at 6:30am the following morning to a line. we try and explain how many systems there were and that we had tickets, but no one would leave. in the end, i left a mob of people pissed off that they weren't getting anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users