#16 ricethief

ricethief

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:08 AM

I think overtime you will get used to it. Your brain has a built in filter to filter out common noises you hear often. It's not like you don't hear it, it's just that you don't notice it. I have had some loud computers before especially using amd cpus but, you get used to it overtime. I think it's not that big of a deal. If you want loud try having a projector kick its fan on high gear while watching a movie or playing a game, that can get annoying.

#17 TheMasterChef

TheMasterChef

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:The future of XBOX 360 modding
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE(prplehz @ Dec 18 2005, 09:13 PM) View Post

I would rather have the longer load time than a loud drive.

Stop not blaming M$!
The DVD drive in the 360 is 12x speed, most PC DVD drives are 16x speed.... what the hell is wrong with M$? Half the point of not using HD-DVD or Blu-Ray is the speed. But I digress. What excuse can M$ have for having a drive louder and slower than normal PC drives? (I guess it's smaller, but... no.)

QUOTE(ricethief @ Dec 19 2005, 01:15 AM) View Post

I think overtime you will get used to it.

But the hardware sucks, you can't justify its release like that. Where's that anti-M$ spirit?
(Optimist? Bah!)

#18 whitebwoy

whitebwoy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:44 AM

fuckin cry babies, its not even loud

#19 evilkeo

evilkeo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:10 AM

mine is a second shipment- not loud from what i've noticed. perhaps first shipment drives are loud?

#20 MicroMods

MicroMods

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 19 December 2005 - 04:00 AM

QUOTE(whitebwoy @ Dec 18 2005, 08:51 PM) View Post

fuckin cry babies, its not even loud

No need to flame, sport.

Its been established that the DVD-ROM are different in some boxes, so some can be loud while others (I'm guessing yours) aren't.

#21 feflicker

feflicker

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:05 PM

Mine is fairly loud. It is a litle annoying, but I am over it. Hopefully they put better drives in in the future....

#22 iLLNESS

iLLNESS

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:computers, video games, my gf, movies, drinking
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:11 PM

uhm guys. its a fucking 12x dvdrom. what do u expect. i mean it could be quieter, but ur games are gonna be ass slow for loading.

#23 MicroMods

MicroMods

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE(iLLNESS @ Dec 19 2005, 12:18 PM) View Post

uhm guys. its a fucking 12x dvdrom. what do u expect. i mean it could be quieter, but ur games are gonna be ass slow for loading.

Thats not even the problem. The problem is, there are two different drives on the 360's, one quiet as Hell, the other loud as shit. I got the latter.

-Chris

#24 falz

falz

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE(TheMasterChef @ Dec 18 2005, 07:33 PM) View Post

The DVD drive in the 360 is 12x speed, most PC DVD drives are 16x speed.... what the hell is wrong with M$?

When on a PC, any modern game isn't run from the disk itsself, like the 360 is. Any PC game may be using the disk to selectively load things, and for a validation check more than anything once the software is installed.

Had M$ forced the hard drive to be on all 360's, they could have developed games to cache more to the hard drive and possibly spin down.

Probably the only thing we can hope for is an option to be added to the 360's dash settings for "Max Optical Drive Speed". This will likely not happen, but they COULD do this for us complainers (yes, I think it's loud too).

--falz

#25 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:45 PM

I have a launch day console and the whole thing, drive and all are exceptionally quiet.

I my sound proof theater room whith all the equipment off there is DEAD silence, and the noice output by the 360 (even with a game disc) is barely noticeable. On occasion I have to look at the console to see if the LED is on to see if the console is on or not.

It's probably about half the volume of my Xbox 1 running at stock fan speeds.

Sounds like some of you just got some bum drives.

#26 spearfree

spearfree

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:28 PM

My 360 is quiet as of fan point of view, but DVD is loud man (ONLY 360 games).

#27 leo5111

leo5111

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 08:20 PM

my dvd drive&fan do not seem any louder then my stock xbox did some people just got a differnt brand of dvd drive thats loud

#28 MicroMods

MicroMods

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 08:52 PM

I have the HL drive thats in the Llamma scratching video.

#29 prankfurter

prankfurter

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:15 PM

mine is so damn loud any idea how to get a quiet one from M$??? tongue.gif

#30 Joergen

Joergen

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:22 PM

To establish some sort of tangible comparison you guys can relate to, my 360 drive when playing PGR3 (loading screen, ingame etc) is about the same as a NEC or Lite-on DVD burner burning a DVD-R at 8X towards the outer edge (where it speeds up). So you can hear the hiss of the drive (like air or whatever is causing the sound) but its neither mechanic, grinding, high-pitch or like an electric motor.

It's just a relatively quiet hiss slightly louder than the two fans at idle when theres no disc inside. And this is up close to the console like my PC is (to my right side on the desk with the burner at almost ear level). At couch distance its just not an issue even worth mentioning. I was VERY positively surprised with the sound level.

I'm guessing what you are hearing is like when I insert my BF2 (factory pressed single layer) disc into the NEC burner and it spins up into an ANNOYING loud swoosh together with a raaaah from the unbalanced disc. Especially in the evening I have to take the disc out cause its so damn loud. Or perhaps what you hear when you read-test a burned DVD-R with the DVDSpeed program = too loud.

Edited by Joergen, 19 December 2005 - 09:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users