feflicker

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:28 PM

My friend thinks my "fan" turns up when you put a game in lol. My couch is about 8 feet away from my TV. You can hear it, trust me. I have played 4 different Xbox 360's in person, they have ALL did this so far. The drives are just loud. Plain and simple. Sure, their might be a few out there that are quiet, but I doubt it. I think this is all relative. The people saying their's is quiet, to THEM, it is quiet. Just my opinion...

Until we get some decibel meters involved, I am hanging my bet on the "they are loud" side of the argument happy.gif

#32 MicroMods

MicroMods

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE(feflicker @ Dec 19 2005, 03:35 PM) View Post

My friend thinks my "fan" turns up when you put a game in lol. My couch is about 8 feet away from my TV. You can hear it, trust me. I have played 4 different Xbox 360's in person, they have ALL did this so far. The drives are just loud. Plain and simple. Sure, their might be a few out there that are quiet, but I doubt it. I think this is all relative. The people saying their's is quiet, to THEM, it is quiet. Just my opinion...

Until we get some decibel meters involved, I am hanging my bet on the "they are loud" side of the argument happy.gif

The people that have gotten defective Xboxes and then gotten their replacements have said that the replacement drives are MUCH quieter.

Update:

I got no response from the e-mail, so I went on their customer support chat. I waited 45 minutes for them to tell me that basically they can't ask for personal information through chat and that I would have to call to get a replacement box.

So I called from work and waited 20 minutes just for some foreigner that just learned English last week, to tell me that in order to send me a replacement box, they'll need my 12-digit serial number.

URGH. I'll have to call when I get home. I'm going to milk this for as much as I can now. Come on free stuff!

#33 feflicker

feflicker

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:57 PM

The people that have gotten defective Xboxes and then gotten their replacements have said that the replacement drives are MUCH quieter.

Good point...

Was there an update yet on swapping DVD-Drives? I remember the only post I saw said that it didn't work, because of the firmware. The drive is somehow locked, etc.

Here's to hoping those of us with loud DVD drives can upgrade at some point in the future to the quiet model. In the meantime, I don't care if it is loud as long as it keeps working beerchug.gif

#34 MicroMods

MicroMods

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE(feflicker @ Dec 19 2005, 04:04 PM) View Post

Good point...

Was there an update yet on swapping DVD-Drives? I remember the only post I saw said that it didn't work, because of the firmware. The drive is somehow locked, etc.

Here's to hoping those of us with loud DVD drives can upgrade at some point in the future to the quiet model. In the meantime, I don't care if it is loud as long as it keeps working beerchug.gif

lol, yeah. It didn't bother me until about last week. Theres absolutely no way I could survive 4-5 years of gaming with that thing.

I figured, its free and under the warranty, so what the heck. smile.gif

#35 miggidy

miggidy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE(MicroMods @ Dec 19 2005, 10:00 PM) View Post

I got no response from the e-mail, so I went on their customer support chat. I waited 45 minutes for them to tell me that basically they can't ask for personal information through chat and that I would have to call to get a replacement box.

So I called from work and waited 20 minutes just for some foreigner that just learned English last week, to tell me that in order to send me a replacement box, they'll need my 12-digit serial number.

URGH. I'll have to call when I get home. I'm going to milk this for as much as I can now. Come on free stuff!

Hahaha you gotta love that outsourced customer support laugh.gif

Well the fact that M$ is willing to replace/fix your Xbox 360 means that this is indeed a deffect and not just normal operation.

I hope M$ fixes this problem by the time I get my Xbox 360.
Although I'm not too delicate when it comes to noises, I mean how loud can a disk drive really get?
Oh well....

#36 MicroMods

MicroMods

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE(miggidy @ Dec 19 2005, 04:13 PM) View Post

Hahaha you gotta love that outsourced customer support laugh.gif

Well the fact that M$ is willing to replace/fix your Xbox 360 means that this is indeed a deffect and not just normal operation.
I hope M$ fixes this problem by the time I get my Xbox 360.
Although I'm not too delicate when it comes to noises, I mean how loud can a disk drive really get?
Oh well....

Oh, pretty loud. I'm not too delicate with noise either. I sleep with the TV on, with my iPod on, etc. Its just that sound. So persistent, so annoying.. Ugh I can hear it now. Save me.

Maybe I'm blowing this just a *little* out of proportion but I won't be the first, nor last, to get my drive replaced because its too loud.

-Chris

#37 Joergen

Joergen

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 01:17 AM

How loud can a drive get? The guy with the 52x cd-rom had a good inkling. An optical drive can be so loud you feel you have to constantly protect your groin in the event of explosion. Who cares about the eyes, a man protects his crotch!

#38 miggidy

miggidy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 20 December 2005 - 01:20 AM

rotfl.gif

The scene has it's own comedians, this great!

#39 XboxIguana

XboxIguana

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:GIRLS 'n GAMES!
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 20 December 2005 - 01:43 AM

I sit like 7-8 feet away from the 360 and I never notice it. If I go next to it and listen I can tell its there but even playing with the sound on really low I dont hear it much. It might be because I just got it and it was made on Nov 27th I think. Maybe its just a quieter batch. Im not sure but I never notice it. I have a semi loud PC that doesn't fase most people but I hear it all the time so Im not just def.

#40 MrTm0n3y

MrTm0n3y

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 December 2005 - 02:09 AM

Does it matter at all if it's horizontal or verticle? Because i have mine horizontal and it's just fine.

#41 XboxIguana

XboxIguana

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:GIRLS 'n GAMES!
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 20 December 2005 - 03:27 AM

QUOTE(MrTm0n3y @ Dec 19 2005, 08:16 PM) View Post

Does it matter at all if it's horizontal or verticle? Because i have mine horizontal and it's just fine.

Same

#42 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 20 December 2005 - 04:05 AM

mines horizontal and i used to think it was unbearable... now i think im just used to it and dont hear it anymore, but when you put a disc in... you hear that sucker take off into a high speed spin, and id say its pretty loud.. with no game in, its as quiet as a mouse.

MS warranty is still 3 months right?

i plan on having them send me a replacement before my warranty is up, just to get a newer (hopefully) version with a few bug fixes... not just the loudness... but ive gotten quite a few freezes... given i havent really turned it off in 5 days.. lol

#43 MicroMods

MicroMods

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 04:31 AM

QUOTE(ILLusions0fGrander @ Dec 19 2005, 10:12 PM) View Post

mines horizontal and i used to think it was unbearable... now i think im just used to it and dont hear it anymore, but when you put a disc in... you hear that sucker take off into a high speed spin, and id say its pretty loud.. with no game in, its as quiet as a mouse.

MS warranty is still 3 months right?

i plan on having them send me a replacement before my warranty is up, just to get a newer (hopefully) version with a few bug fixes... not just the loudness... but ive gotten quite a few freezes... given i havent really turned it off in 5 days.. lol

I might do the same. I know I have some games under the tree this year so I might just hold off until I play/beat them. I really just want to beat (or get sick of) the games I have so I don't miss the box too much smile.gif

#44 PlumeNoir

PlumeNoir

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 December 2005 - 04:39 AM

I didn't think too much about mine (e10minutes) while playing Kameo or CDs or DVDs, but when I picked up PD0 last week, my GOD! I ejected the disk to check it!

I swear - it sounded like my freaking server room at work! (At least as far as the overall noise levels.)

It is definitely the drive, and it has me a little worried, since it was fine for a month. I read other's reports and thought they were exaggerating until I heard it myself.

I have been considering getting the additional warranty from MS, as well. But I am wondering if I should call MS about this drive anyway. (Hence, why I am checking here what others think.)

My main worry? My wife loves Hectic (or whatever it's called) and would kill me if I lost her game info on the hard drive, and I'm too lazy to save it off to a memory card...and even too lazier to buy a mem card yet.

Also, I have never even turned mine on in the vertical position - it has been horizontal since day one. I haven't seen any other problems with it, though.

#45 zikronix

zikronix

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 20 December 2005 - 05:17 AM

mines a tad loud.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users