Photo

Us Xbox - Live In Uk, How Do I Xbox Live?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 guyi

guyi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 10:57 PM

I have a modded (matrix) US xbox with xecuter2 4976.02 bios and evox 1.8.3752 running off evoxdash.xbe. I've locked my 80g hard drive and use the Matrix mode 3 to boot to original xboxdash

Now I want to get Xbox live and I live in the UK where it has just become available.

Is it possible to get the UK kit and play my NTSC games on UK servers (i.e is UK xbox live ok with me having a US machine with NTSC games)?

-OR- do I HAVE to get the US kit and play on US Servers?

-OR- is there a way of fooling Xbox (with modchip turned off) into thinking it is a PAL machine and therefore play PAL games on UK Xbox live?

- OR - maybe there is a better solution not mentioned above?

Thx

#2 broadd

broadd

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 11:31 PM

The servers are used for authentication of your account rather than hosting the games, as I understand it. As PAL users in Australia are using both the PAL UK and NTSC US kits to get on live, I imagine NTSC users can use the PAL UK kit too. I think they are actually identical?

Bruce

#3 maximusg

maximusg

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • Interests:shit load
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 April 2003 - 03:19 AM

QUOTE (broadd @ Apr 21 2003, 09:31 AM)
The servers are used for authentication of your account rather than hosting the games, as I understand it. As PAL users in Australia are using both the PAL UK and NTSC US kits to get on live, I imagine NTSC users can use the PAL UK kit too. I think they are actually identical?

Bruce

You can get on any where on any kit... As long as you put in an adress in a country that has xbox live... I put in good ol' beverly hills 90210... worked a charm...

#4 guyi

guyi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 05:46 AM

OK,

So from what you guys are saying, I should be able to do the first, i.e. use my US machine with NTSC games with UK kit on the UK xbox live servers. That would be great, I could even register with my real UK address.

However, I thought I had read somewhere about some users reprogramming eeprom to PAL (or NTSC if they had PAL and wanted to use US) and I had presumed that this was because they got banned for using a different region machine to the live servers they were using. Still a bit confused about this.

#5 shanafan

shanafan

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,527 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 April 2003 - 05:54 AM

However, I thought I had read somewhere about some users reprogramming eeprom to PAL (or NTSC if they had PAL and wanted to use US) and I had presumed that this was because they got banned for using a different region machine to the live servers they were using. Still a bit confused about this.

When people got banned for using Live with their modchip on, they can get an unbanned EEPROM to get back onto Live. If a user has a NTSC Xbox, and a newly acquired PAL EEPROM, they would have to change the region on the EEPROM. That is it.

#6 guyi

guyi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 06:11 AM

OK, all clear now. Thanks guys.

Out of interest shanafan, why do you use a separate Xbox specifically for xbox live. What's the advantage if all the above is true? (apart from not having to remember to switch the modchip off).

#7 shanafan

shanafan

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,527 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 April 2003 - 06:32 AM

QUOTE (guyi @ Apr 21 2003, 02:11 AM)
OK, all clear now.  Thanks guys.

Out of interest shanafan, why do you use a separate Xbox specifically for xbox live.  What's the advantage if all the above is true? (apart from not having to remember to switch the modchip off).

In case MS thinks of a new way to ban modded Xboxes. I had the extra money and figured why not

And, having another Xbox is awesome for LAN play

Edited by shanafan, 21 April 2003 - 06:32 AM.

#8 mastiha

mastiha

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 26 May 2003 - 04:30 AM

I have an Australian XBOX (PAL) and I ordered an XBOX Live kit from the US and selected the US as the billing region as Australia was not available.

This was working fine up until the new Mech Assault content became available. It did download the update but then when I went into the downloadable content nothing was there.

I have since found out that to get the latest Mech Assault content your billing region and your XBOX region need to match as I changed my XBOX region from "PAL, Region 4" to "NTSC, Region 1" and the content became available.

However this created new problems as other games did not work because of the region change (e.g. Ghost Recon). The only way to play these games would be to have the mod on which MS will detect if you try and connect.

I thought I could get around this by changing "PAL, Region 4" from "PAL, Region 2" as some people in the UK had access to it but that didnít work either.

So, the only way you resolve this would be to change my billable region but I donít think this can be done.

Well done MS.

#9 broadd

broadd

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 12:47 AM

Just to confirm, you could always change the region back to PAL if you wanted to play other games like GR on Live?

B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users