Photo

Ok, So Did This Chip Work On A 1.6 For Anybody?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 razormix

razormix

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 04:47 PM

No matter what I try I keep getting the frag error.
When you first power on the XBOX, it turns on, then off, then on again?
This is only when I put the chip on that I flashed with v1.3 XCHIP Bios for 1.6 xboxes.
When I take the chip off, I get all the blue LED's on the 1.6 adapter so I am assuming that means it on OK.
I have tried everything in the troubleshooting guides with no luck.
The only thing I can think of is buying the Xenium SP ICE because I have used it on a 1.6 xbox before.
I just really love the USB software control with the XCHIP.

So has anyone used the XCHIP on a 1.6/1.6b that can shed any light?

Thanks!

#2 mitchell2345

mitchell2345

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:32 PM

i have gotten the x-chip and x-lite to work on a 1.6. On the x-chip once i installed the correct bios it worked fine. I did have some issues like yours using the x-lite. The problem was the switches werent pushed all the way up. but the x-chip doesnt have any switches so i dunno. Just double check you soldering points. If you used the solderless adapter trying soldering. There are so many contact points the soldless can be hit and miss.

Good luck

#3 Mandalore

Mandalore

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 01:21 AM

Got it to work with soldering to the pinheader on a 1.6. It's been working perfectly for over 8+ months. Before I soldered I actually just taped all my connections in to verify it working.

#4 jt anime

jt anime

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:50 AM

just to put my two cents in; i know exactly what you mean razormix. i bought into the x chip 'cause of the sweet usb attachment, and because of the solderless adapter. but i should've known that there would be potential difficulties when i downloaded the installation guide in which it clearly stated that the 1.6 has to be soldered. however on the ad it also stated that the solderless adapter works for the 1.6! so @ first i installed the adapter, got all 5 leds to show blue, and fit the chip right over the pin header. it immediately fragged. so i followed the troubleshooting guide and did the nickel trick, which seemed to work 'cause it stopped fragging. but when i reattached the hd and the rom drive and turned on the xbox, i got the default xbox screen(is that the ms dashboard?) so i read several posts(seems like several hundred) in which one post stated that the reason that it doesn't bring up the cromwell dashboard screen is 'cause the dO points aren't touching. after that i re-dissasembled the xbox, rechecked the dO points to ensure that the led's were all blue, i reattached the chip and tested it out. nothing but fragging. this time the nickel trick didn't work, i verified that the adapter was brand new, etc. but what gets me is the fact that this "reputable" company has an extremely laxadasical forum where they won't even return your inquiries 75% of the time. there are some good noob guides for after you get the chip to work, but what good is that if you can't even get the darn thing to work! now i know that you're s'posed to do things on your own and don't ask questions for fear of being flamed or worse ignored, but this is just too much of a coincidence for multiple posts are solely on how to get the solderless adapter to work for the x-chip on the 1.6!!!! and the whole hit and miss exuse is jacked up man! that's just false advertising and quite frankly criminal! after reading x# of posts i did read about installing an exception default bin thru x control. it was instructed to find the 1.6 raw bin for the default x-control layout for the 1.6 ver. xbox. i've still yet to find it thru xbins or otherwise which leads me to think if this thing really exists. but the trouble shooting guide say that almost all frag problems can be fixed. so i'm gonna try and clean the contact points, boot to the default bios bin thru the usb, and like several posts before mine hope on a prayer that this works! modding should be an experience not a bore chore, and the fact that there's little to no reprieve especially thru the makers of this product, or any outside feasable solutions from help forums or otherwise, well this is a supporting claim of disdain, dissapointment and frustration from a jaded gamer. pity dry.gif

#5 Donovan

Donovan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE(Mandalore @ Dec 27 2005, 07:28 PM) View Post

Got it to work with soldering to the pinheader on a 1.6. It's been working perfectly for over 8+ months. Before I soldered I actually just taped all my connections in to verify it working.

Ok, here's the deal... I have an XBox 1.6b and recently ordered the x-chip combo from EB2K. All I got in the package was the X-Chip w/ USB and the solderless adapter. No pin header was included but since the *new* solderless adapter says it works with all units (including 1.6) I went ahead with the install.

Got the solderless adapter in place and all 5 blue lights come on when I power it up. Great, I thought until I install the X-Chip.

1) There are 16 pins on the solderless adapter but only 12 on the X-Chip and no clear instructions anywhere in the manuals as to which way to align the X-Chip onto the adapter, so I follow the logical choice based upon what I saw in the X-Lite install manual. (note: I've tried as many different ways as I could get it to fit since then).
2) I flashed the Evo-X 1.3-1.6only.bin BIOS onto the X-Chip using X-Control. No problems with that.
3) No matter how I align the X-Chip on the adapter, I either get the standard MS dashboard boot or I get the power-on-power-off-power-on-FRAG error. I have yet to get a successful Evo-X boot.

After reading many of the posts on these forums I feel a sense of being mislead and my thoughts of actually getting this thing working has dwindled to near hoplessness.

Since they didn't include the pin-header, I have no way to try a soldered install and I have emailed EB2K with no response.

Unless some kind soul on these forums has had this problem and wouldn't mind posting the steps they took to fix the problem here, I'm afraid I'm just screwed out of $70 bucks and will have to find a different mod chip to install.

Thanks!

#6 wolfcat007

wolfcat007

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE(Donovan @ Jan 14 2006, 09:12 AM) View Post

Ok, here's the deal... I have an XBox 1.6b and recently ordered the x-chip combo from EB2K. All I got in the package was the X-Chip w/ USB and the solderless adapter. No pin header was included but since the *new* solderless adapter says it works with all units (including 1.6) I went ahead with the install.

Got the solderless adapter in place and all 5 blue lights come on when I power it up. Great, I thought until I install the X-Chip.

1) There are 16 pins on the solderless adapter but only 12 on the X-Chip and no clear instructions anywhere in the manuals as to which way to align the X-Chip onto the adapter, so I follow the logical choice based upon what I saw in the X-Lite install manual. (note: I've tried as many different ways as I could get it to fit since then).
2) I flashed the Evo-X 1.3-1.6only.bin BIOS onto the X-Chip using X-Control. No problems with that.
3) No matter how I align the X-Chip on the adapter, I either get the standard MS dashboard boot or I get the power-on-power-off-power-on-FRAG error. I have yet to get a successful Evo-X boot.

After reading many of the posts on these forums I feel a sense of being mislead and my thoughts of actually getting this thing working has dwindled to near hoplessness.

Since they didn't include the pin-header, I have no way to try a soldered install and I have emailed EB2K with no response.

Unless some kind soul on these forums has had this problem and wouldn't mind posting the steps they took to fix the problem here, I'm afraid I'm just screwed out of $70 bucks and will have to find a different mod chip to install.

Thanks!

Aw...crap...i just received my x-lite chip with the solderless adapter. I am hoping that someone has found a way to get this thing to work...Or i'm afraid that the a**-holes at EB2K have been selling faulty mod chips.. this is crap in my views and just utter complete waste of time for people whose already failed at this and money for those like me who just bought the damn thing and finding out that it does not work..

#7 a94cobra

a94cobra

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 11:36 PM

I know I have installed and X-chip on a 1.6 before.

I bought a couple X-lite's this time around. I have a 1.6 that I need to mod. I can't get this X-lite to work on the 1.6. Red light comes on(on the X-lite), but I just get FRAG. I have taken the X-lite and got Cromwell to boot on a 1.4 board. So I know the chip(s) is good.

Not sure what I am missing.

What does the Lframe(1.6) spot on the X-lite need to be connected to? I have 5v and D0 connected.

#8 a94cobra

a94cobra

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:37 AM

I finally got this X-lite to work on the 1.6 box.

I could not find this info explained clearly in any of the tutorials or documentation. So I am replying back here. Maybe someone will find the info useful.

1.) The D0 and the Lframe are one in the same(at least on a 1.6). Someone correct me if I am wrong. But the chip may or may not care. The X-lite cares. So when you would normally connect the D0 to the chip to the D0, if you have the X-Lite and a 1.6, connect to the Lframe instead.

2.) You need to flip Dip #2 on the detachable PCB to ON. This enables the recovery mode. Being that the chip is blank, no Cromwell on any bank other than the recovery bank. You must enable recovery mode to get Cromwell to boot to begin the Flashing.

Once I figure those two things out I was good to go.

#9 willgetin

willgetin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:46 AM

The answer is to actually solder an extra wire from the mobo to the 5v on the chip. It is not getting power the way it is supposed to. This was posted in the hardware forum. It works, cause it worked for me. :-)

#10 eggybaby

eggybaby

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:52 AM

Mine don't work either (v1.6 with X-Lite), Xbox blinks red/green.
If I disable the chip, it don't boot properly anymore either - I get the 'call tech support' screen.
I'm sure of my soldering (part of my profession).
Tried D0 to Lframe as well - no luck. Put DIP to 'recovery' - no change.
Where do I find the 'troubleshooting' manual? I have the 'Flashing the X-Lite...", and "Dip/Switch..." pdf's that I got from EB2K and that's it.
....off to find this 'trouble-shooting' manual. Any suggestions? Thanks

#11 eggybaby

eggybaby

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:23 AM

update (10min later)......somehow I manage to get 'something' to come on-screen; it reads
"CROMWELL kernel failure - Please unplug USB and power and try again". Did that 5-10 time now, tried DIP#2, no luck.

Update (8min later).....It works.....found post from 2005 that suggested moving Switch#1 dips 1&2 to 'ON'. EB2K Manual says to keep 'OFF' for V1.6 and V1.6b

#12 eggybaby

eggybaby

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:15 AM

Doesn't work.....did a reboot and haven't been able to get back to the Cromwell screen since.
Must've power cycled the box 10-20 times now and can't get it to boot again.

#13 pricemeista33

pricemeista33

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:36 PM

I'm having the same trouble with this 1.6 working with an X-Chip. I have the 1.3 bios flashed on the chip. All of the blue leds are on but as soon as I plug the chip onto the adapter. The LFRAME light goes out after a very quick lumination for about .5 seconds. It just frags out after that and if anyone knows why this is happening. Share your information with us here so we too can get up and running.

#14 pricemeista33

pricemeista33

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:08 AM

Finally figured out why all the problems. Got the 1.6 adapter working with the X-chip after knowing that there was an insuffecient power shortage. After reading page 41 of the installation guide, wiring the 5v wire to that capacitor to the chip.

#15 pricemeista33

pricemeista33

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:14 AM

Well it finally worked for me. I have a 1.6 along with the adapter working all together. The best combination for this set up though is a Philips DVD ROM drive. You will save yourself alot of heart ache and pain by getting one of these drives. The Thompson and the re manufactured LG WILL NOT WORK with the media used to install Evox or Auto Installer Deluxe. I used AID for setup and everything went fine. You must ensure that you have flashed your X-Chip properly prior to getting the installer to work. I used the X chip 1.3 16 plus bios and everything worked out fine.

One thing to keep in mind is that only 4 of the 5 blue leds will luminate with the chip in place. The LFRAME led will not light up once everything is in place and powered up. If you remove the chip from the adapter, all 5 leds will light up. Ensure that you have both of the little orange switches on the adapter in the up no.1 position. If anyone has any problems feel free to PM me.

I'm up and running like a champ.....thankx XBS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users