6 replies to this topic

#1 wweboy

wweboy

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 05:52 PM

Hey guys thought I'd give a recap of my adventures and let other do the same and not fill up the board with 'em

I got packed and ready to go it was a cold, cold, cold night. I had the following

* layers of clothes on me
* Laptop
* Portable XM Radio
* Nice lawn chair
* Sleeping back
* Heavy Blanket
* Heavy coat, gloves, hat

I got there at 8:30 people had started camping out at 7 We were told that there was 24 boxes total 22 permium 2 core. We were told 4am would be the time they handed out tickets but 20 minutes later they said between 6am and 8am they would hand out tickets. Someone in line had bought everyone hot coco that was cool then Burger King came out and gave us all their extra food when they closed (all hot and newly made it seemed) so that was a treat.

I bundled up in my chair and spoke with neighbors some had tents and heaters but many of us had chairs. It was cold but not extrmly cold. It was 5 degrees above zero with a small wind barely noticeable. But at 1 or 2 am it was bitterly cold well below zero temps. Many of us were extrmly cold evne with all the clothes and blankets. I had made myself a make shift tent by putting my exra heavy blanket over me and some how I feel asleep at about 3am to about 4:15 am. I woke up and my feet were numb and if you stepped out of the blanket it was a huge difference. You were cold under the blankets but you could bare it but without them whoa it was different.

Suddenly a car quickly pulled up and someone ran in the store then came out saying he was handing out tickets in 5 minutes. Everyone sighed a relif by this time there was 32 people in line. We told they to leave cause there was only 24 but they didn't belive us. I got my ticket for my premium and was told to come back at 8oclock (now 5am) and if we didn't show we didn't get an xbox.

Overall it was alright I wouldn't do it again I didn't expect the temps to drop below zero. When we picked up our xboxes people were coming though the door saying how it wasn't fair that we had tickets and that they put them in the sunday ad. I'm happy I have an 360 but I found it was BS when there were already 25 people in line before close and they refused to just give us the tickets.

I won't be doing this again if it's in the winter this was my first time camping out for anything (goods) in the end I bought the 360 a bag that looks like a diaper bag to carry it in which cost the price of a game (49.99, gonna bring it back) and PGR 3 & Call of Duty 2. I've been enjoying the 360 got it working with my home PC without issue haven't had any issues.

What was your camping adventure? was it fun, would you do it again why or why not?

#2 feflicker

feflicker

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:21 PM

Wow. That was crazy. My adventure, not so.

I cruised up to Vegas (280 miles), slept in my car (last weekend in the Costco parking lot). Had to start it every hour to warm up. No one showed up until about an hour before open. I was the only one there during the night. They had 96 consoles... I got mine and drove back home.

I did this because I knew Best Buy was going to be crazy since everyone knew. I am glad I did after hearing the stories from this weekend.

WHAT I LEARNED: Pre-Order on Day 1, Hour 1, OR camp on launch and get it over with. I would have rather camped on launch and got one, instead of camping after weeks of torment trying to find one. ph34r.gif

#3 Videogamebuyer14

Videogamebuyer14

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts
  • Interests:cars, girls, building computers, making techno, etc. All the good stuff.
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:27 PM

I was number one in a line at Best Buy in North Riverside, IL.

Our store got 36 units in, but said they would only sell 20.

I had brought with me a jacket, some jeans, heatwarmers, mcdonalds, and metal chairs.

I jumped in line at around 6:00, and it grew from there.

At around 12:30, some dude rolled up and showed us a premium xbox that he bought on Nov 22nd.

I was freezing cold, so I paid an extra 300 for it, but I'm pleased, except for the three red light error I get occasionally.

#4 feflicker

feflicker

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:32 PM

At around 12:30, some dude rolled up and showed us a premium xbox that he bought on Nov 22nd.

I was freezing cold, so I paid an extra 300 for it, but I'm pleased, except for the three red light error I get occasionally.

I wonder why he sold it? Arg... Sorry to hear that. This is why I wanted to buy a new one from a store. I don't trust people...

#5 Avindair

Avindair

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:57 PM

Our campout in a northwest suburb of Minneapolis was an interesting one:
  • 58 units were due to be available...but 20 were spoken for due to "rain checks" so only 38 were available.
  • 36 premiums, 2 core.

My son and I ended up being #36, after showing up at a little after 11:00 PM on Saturday night.

Did I mention that it was cold? Single-digit cold? Often with that digit being "1"?

Good News

We had a few guys at the front of the line organize a list and communicate with Best Buy management to make sure everything was on the up-and-up.

Bad News

Of course, come the time to actually do the official line-up, the Best Buy manager literally tried to just have us line up against the wall in the -- I kid you not -- the "...order you remember that you've been in all night." When people asked about the list we got the "I cannot be legally held responsible for following this list..." schtick.

Worse News

When the crowd demanded that the list be followed, we ended up with a few people missing. Cool. That meant some people who had chanced the cold and ignored our warnings would get one. But when the tickets were handed out, a couple little schmucks let one cheater that I know of slip in late and take a premium system. A couple of others must have done this because, in the end, I ended up getting a Core and only one of the two guys behind me who had stayed all night got a system.

The people in line were actually quite nice, and the guys organizing The List did a terrific job. Best Buy, though, shocked me with their cavalier disregard of The List, and of with how they out-and-out ignored the fact that the two counts on the list (one using the name, the other just counting) didn't match up. About the only thing they didn't do was stick a finger in their ears and say "La-la-la-I'm-not-listening-to-you!"

But hey, at least my son got a Core system out of the deal. Heck, we even slapped in the hard drive and wireless controller right away, too. Since I wanted a cord controller to use on my PC, too, that worked out.

In short: Line itself was cold and a gauntlet, people were nice, Best Buy management dropped the ball badly.

Avindair

#6 sportsguy1237

sportsguy1237

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:17 PM

i got there at 2:30 pm on the 17th and there was already 50 ppl in line, and i knew my store was getting only 28 :-(

#7 psychoace

psychoace

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:21 PM

Mine was totally lame compared to yours. I walked into Toys R Us last Friday at 2pm. I look for toys for my nephew and neice. I hit the electronic department. I see 20 boxes in the xbox 360 aisle (maybe empty if so then they made such a mess about it that it sure wasn't supposed to display and entice people to buy the box). I notice I don't have enough money so I walk away and cry. The End

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users