• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Vasichko

Vasichko

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 01:38 AM

Just wondering if anything has been figured out about changing the region coding of the 360? I have one and a buddy of mine can't get one here in the states. We found some from Japan, but I know the region coding is different.

Im assuming that the DVD drives are the same and this information is held on the TSOP or EEPROM.

Just wondering if anyone could give me some useful information regarding this.

Thanks.

#2 DivyX

DivyX

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 08:59 AM

Hi.
As of yet there are no ways to change the region code of 360.
Region code ofcourse applies to movies and games.
In my opinion reasonable thing for your friend to do is to wait for the time when ntsc boxes comes up in stores again.
I'd bet my money that dvd drives are not the same if you could swap them in the first place. There must be atleast couple places where the region coding exists.

#3 ensakamoto

ensakamoto

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 09:41 AM

hi
im italian. but im about to go live in chicago..
i just got my 360 here and i dunno shit about the region codes...usually here's region 2..while the us is region 1..
how do i check that?
on the games here should i find region 2 written?
on the console should i read somewhere anything?
why the heck nobody tells u anything when you buy the damn box?

.....and finally...are we sure when i come there there's no f. way i can play a damn thing?!

grrr!

please let me know something, im a little pissed

ciao
grazie

#4 DivyX

DivyX

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 04:42 PM

Well you have region 2 as italian, and you can check the game region descriptions by reading games back cover or something when you head to chicago.

Sadly I think that all game boxes in stores says systematically ( NTSC ). There shouldn't be market for PAL games in there so i wouldn't imagine that stores have them. Your best bet is to have credit card for ordering the games from europe. Or... you know the other option that doesn't exist yet. You need something more also to plug in that pal xbox in states... it has something to do with voltage i'd think... rolleyes.gif

#5 Vasichko

Vasichko

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:06 AM

Im gonna try to look into this a little more. I have de-regioned 2 DVD players at my house. I think that it would be easier for them to change the region in the firmware rather than using different drives for different region codes.

#6 deadparrot

deadparrot

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 December 2005 - 01:02 PM

I expect it's not a firmware thing like on PC drives, but dashboard related like on the original xbox. That makes it easier to produce.

#7 DivyX

DivyX

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:50 PM

Well if you can deobfuscate dvd's firmware it could help. There are dumps floating around.
I'm however pretty sure that having region check in dvd firmware doesn't make much difference if you think about it.
I'd think the check for the region isn't done inside fw anyways, solely that is. XEX files which are crypted save few things are almost sure to contain region code similar for xbe file that could be like some default.xbes has: ( hex 52 30 9b 5c 72 ( region 0 in this case ) ) and dash maybe checks it too ( from dvd ? ).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users