I don't want to do a mod or admin's job, but I'd just ask you to read that before posting. I'll try to recap things that couldn't possibly work. DO NOT make a new thread about these things -- they have been discussed before and people were flamed. I just want to avoid this.
- Bunnie is not the answer: He helped a lot for the first Xbox, but he said he wouldn't touch the 360. Maybe because he signed something with MS, to stop his acting. We don't know, and he won't say.
- About the signatures: You can't sign a XEX file. We weren't able to sign them on the first Xbox. If we wanted to sign our homebrew stuff, we would need the private key. MS has it, on a computer in a secured vault, disconnected from the network (we're not sure of course, but I think they'd have to do that). Maybe 2 people are allowed to touch the machine. It won't happen. Also, we can't bruteforce the key! It would be way too long. You can even be pretty sure that we couldn't find the key. Not even in our lifespan.
- Stripping the signature/the media check: If you touch the file, you're done. But if the media check fails too, you're screwed. I don't think we can go this way.
- D0 Point/LPC Bus: The LPC Bus exists, but there's no actual way to exploit it. Maybe in the future it will be the way, once again, to "hack" the box. But not yet.
- More about the hypervisor: From what I understood, the hypervisor is activated in the boot sequence. We can't decrypt the whole thing yet. If we can, maybe it could be done.
- Softmods?: Not yet. Or maybe never, because of the hypervisor.
- Xbox 1 backup working?: MS wouldn't be dumb enough to let backups of old Xbox games work. Those are rumors.
- Exploiting bugs through Backwards Compatibility?: The emulator is running in a sandbox, and still checked by the hypervisor. Also, you can't use your old savegames on the Xbox 360.
- Inject data through Live! connection?: No. The data link is encrypted too.
- "ZOMG liek, letz dump teh BIOS and Xecuter will do wicked stuff wit it": Stop this kind of posts. We're trying to investigate on real paths, and we don't need this kind of posts. Thank you.
- "MY FREIEND CRAXORED TEH XBOX, HE WONT TELL U YET BUT ULL SEE SOON": Proof? By proof I mean schemes, detailed operation, photos of all the process, and eventually a video of you playing backups. No cuts in the video, and we want to see all the wires exposed, from the 360 to the TV, including the controller cable.
For the own good of this community, try to avoid this kind of posts. If you have something useful to make us go forward, we'll listen to you. But suggesting solutions that worked for the old Xbox isn't helping. We know you're trying to help, but please read this first.
Enjoy your stay, and be constructive
- Gobelet (who doesn't want to look like someone dictating its own rules, but does it anyway )
EDIT: Just saw that heinrich posted guidelines too... Ah well, felt like I was a little more detailed.
Edited by Gobelet, 21 December 2005 - 10:39 PM.