p$ilocybin

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 December 2005 - 08:40 PM

k i just got a receiver for christmas, pioneer with 7.1 surround sound, i have monster 5.1 surround sound gaming speakers (i know i need new speakers) but i have no idea how to hook these up through my receiver any help?

can i hook it up so all the speakers from the monster system go into the reciever instead of the back of the sub? how can i plug the sub into the receiver? i am so confused. heres my receiver

http://www.futuresho...E890C2211] here

Edited by p$ilocybin, 25 December 2005 - 09:04 PM.

#2 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 26 December 2005 - 06:17 PM

It's interesting you included a link to your receiver when it is following standards and your speakers are not.

The speakers are the issue not the receiver. What ohm rating are the speakers? What wattage RMS and peak are they rated for? What kind of connectors do they have?

Assuming they are 8 ohm speakers and relatively nice, you could probably hook them to your amp. I don't know anything about them however. See, your speaker's amp is currently in their sub (apparently) so you are talking about disconnecting them from using the internal amp of the sub and using the Pioneer as the amp. In general speakers that come with their own proprietary amp embedded in the sub wont' work great when hooked up to a standard/normal amp like your Pioneer.

#3 p$ilocybin

p$ilocybin

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:03 PM

mred, the speakers are here: speakers

they have a audio left and audio right going into the sub..the other 5 speakers i wired into the receiver myself (because they all plug into the back of the sub seperately). but there is no plug that comes from the sub so i can plug that into the receiver. there is a plug for each seperate speaker. except for the sub, than there is a plug for audio left and right into the back of the sub as well. its like i need to re wire the sub but i dont know how to do that.

i cant afford better speakers. and i want to play with dolby surround but in order to do that i need to hook into the receiver

Edited by p$ilocybin, 26 December 2005 - 08:01 PM.

#4 p$ilocybin

p$ilocybin

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 09:27 PM

i could just play without the sub...but it doesnt sound half as good.

#5 p$ilocybin

p$ilocybin

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 07:00 AM

one more thing i forgot to add, there is a built in amp in the sub, that controlls all the speakers. there is a left audio and right audio that go into the back of the sub, from the system component cables, all of the speekers are then hooked into the back of the sub. so the amp controlls everything all 5 speakers and sub. it goes (audio left & right from xbox to >>sub, all 5 speakers to >>sub. so all the speakers can be easily switched over to my receiver by unplugging them out of the back of the sub. but there is no sub than becuase there is no plug for the sub..)

#6 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • 6,588 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 05:28 PM

Your amp doesn't have a line level sub out? (yes it does...see picture)

Also, if you are only using the left and right audio cables from your XBOX to your amp your aren't getting real surround sound anyway. You need to use a digital audio fiber optic cable from your XBOX to your amp for true surround. (I don't remember what surround the XBOX supports via analog. It's either Dolby Surround (4 channels) or Dolby Pro Logic (5 channels) neither of which support an LFE channel.)

Is this your amp?
http://www.pioneerel...-k_Rear_300.jpg

There is a sub woofer pre-out. Since your sub is expecting two inputs, you could get an RCA Y adapter so the sub has connectors in both the left and right jacks, but both are going to the amps sub woofer pre-out. Then just plug your other speakers into the speaker outputs of your amp, make sure to connect the XBOX to your amp via a fiber optic cable (may require you purchase the advanced A/V pack if you don't already have an A/V box with an optical output for your XBOX) and you should be golden.

#7 p$ilocybin

p$ilocybin

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:47 PM

heres the back of my sub ?sub
the top 4 inputs are for audio left, and audio rights. bottom inputs are for the 5 speakers. theres no sub input??? i unplugged the 5 speakers and plugged them into the receiver pre outs (the receiver you posted is the same.) than i have no idea how to hook the sub up since there is no sub output on the back of the sub. one other question, the speaker pre outs work the same as the speaker inputs on the back right

Edited by p$ilocybin, 27 December 2005 - 09:50 PM.

#8 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • 6,588 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 10:41 PM

the speaker pre outs work the same as the speaker inputs on the back right

No.

Ok, you seem to be getting "inputs" and "outputs" confused.

The amp has speaker outputs that would connecect to your satellite speakers. These are the screw terminals on the back of the amp (not RCA connectors). They are the big plastic honking red and black terminals. You need to use the amplified speaker outputs. The pre-outs are line level outputs used to go into secondary external amps if you choose to use them, and you are not using them here. (except the sub woofer pre-out, you will use that, since the sub woofer has its own internal amplifier).

the top 4 inputs are for audio left, and audio rights.
Ok, 4 inputs for left and right, so it allows inputs from two devices? I expected only 2 RCA inputs.

bottom inputs are for the 5 speakers.
Those are amplified/powered outputs to the speakers, not inputs.
theres no sub input???
The left and right inputs at the top are the sub input. It just it automatically sends low freq. to the sub. so that is your sub input as well.
i unplugged the 5 speakers and plugged them into the receiver pre outs (the receiver you posted is the same.)
You need to connect them to the speaker terminals. That will probably require cutting the RCA connectors off of the speaker wires. Your amp looks like it has combination banana plug and twist on terminals for the speaker outpus.
than i have no idea how to hook the sub up since there is no sub output on the back of the sub.
sub pre out will just go to the normal inputs on the back of your sub. You can epxperiement with just plugging it into the right or left input, or get a Y adapter like I described before to connect it to both the L and R inputs on the back of the sub from the Sub Woofer Preout on the back of the amp.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Mr Ed, 27 December 2005 - 10:42 PM.

#9 p$ilocybin

p$ilocybin

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 12:33 AM

if the 2 top inputs are for the sub, than how come the left and right audio for the xbox from the component cable goes in there.? and the top 2 are for 2 different inputs if i want to plug my computer in. i dont understand because the speakers just plug into the back of the sub. i still dont understand how to plug the sub into the reciever. the left and right audio inputs on the sub somehow give a signal to all 5 speakers and a sub?

#10 p$ilocybin

p$ilocybin

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 03:30 AM

k nevermind. thank you for your help man, just got my fiber optic and y cables. works amazing, thanks so much for your help beerchug.gif

#11 p$ilocybin

p$ilocybin

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 04:36 AM

one problem after another, now the receiver keeps saying "overloading" and shutting off every 5 minutes after i turn the receiver on

#12 p$ilocybin

p$ilocybin

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 05:47 AM

i have checked all my speaker connections, and after 5 mins of playing it, it overloads on me, nothing is shorted, all is clean. help anyone?

#13 p$ilocybin

p$ilocybin

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 06:02 AM

would speaker impedance cause this? how can i figure out speaker impedence

#14 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • 6,588 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE(p$ilocybin @ Dec 27 2005, 08:43 PM) View Post

one problem after another, now the receiver keeps saying "overloading" and shutting off every 5 minutes after i turn the receiver on

Your speaker impedance is too low. Apparently they are much less than 8 ohms. There's not much you can do about this. The Monster speakers simply weren't designed to be used this way (apparently) and Monster didn't follow standards in designing them. I suppose if you found out the impedance of the Monster speakers (probably 2 ohms) you could add an inline resistor to increase the impedance to 8 ohms.

#15 p$ilocybin

p$ilocybin

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:39 PM

i just read an article on these speakers.. they are 4 0hm it says. how would i go abouts hooking them up to my receiver that only does 6-180hms. sorry i just need help on how to raise speaker impedence. i knnow i can add resistors. you add the resistors in series, rt=r1+r2+..... wheres the best place for me to insert these resistors.

heres where i found that they are 4 ohms speakers

Edited by p$ilocybin, 29 December 2005 - 12:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users