20 replies to this topic

#1 zeebo

zeebo

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 11:36 PM

I just got Condemned today and was already determined to write a review on it, but I can't put the controller down to find enough time to. The only con in this game in my perspective is that some of the character models are not very detailed. The detail is made up with game play though. I had read reviews that this game was scary, but I had to try for myself. Once again, wow... I'm still stunned by how addicting this game is. I can't get over the fact of how great the combat is in this. I feel that this game was overlooked by alot of people because it has no live gameplay, which is a downer, I think it could have awesome online play. When I first started playing it I didn't expect much and I was just sprinting through the first stage... I seen a see a can roll across the floor, then a shadow, I follow. I end up in a pretty brutal fight and all of a sudden I turn around and WHAM! 2x4 in the face. It took the breath right out of me. It's like one of those movies where it has the loud and sudden scary parts. I still can't get over how you can run up to one of those diseased, crack addicts and whack them in the face with a sledge hammer, them start to get back up and you kick em. When they fall to their knees you feel victory as you go up and headbutt them or break their neck.

This game is really great, do not over look this game. Try it once and you'll fall in love with it. I hope I inspired some of you to try this game out. It's worth the time.

#2 Master X

Master X

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 December 2005 - 02:05 AM

QUOTE(zeebo @ Dec 25 2005, 07:43 PM) View Post

I just got Condemned today and was already determined to write a review on it, but I can't put the controller down to find enough time to. The only con in this game in my perspective is that some of the character models are not very detailed. The detail is made up with game play though. I had read reviews that this game was scary, but I had to try for myself. Once again, wow... I'm still stunned by how addicting this game is. I can't get over the fact of how great the combat is in this. I feel that this game was overlooked by alot of people because it has no live gameplay, which is a downer, I think it could have awesome online play. When I first started playing it I didn't expect much and I was just sprinting through the first stage... I seen a see a can roll across the floor, then a shadow, I follow. I end up in a pretty brutal fight and all of a sudden I turn around and WHAM! 2x4 in the face. It took the breath right out of me. It's like one of those movies where it has the loud and sudden scary parts. I still can't get over how you can run up to one of those diseased, crack addicts and whack them in the face with a sledge hammer, them start to get back up and you kick em. When they fall to their knees you feel victory as you go up and headbutt them or break their neck.

This game is really great, do not over look this game. Try it once and you'll fall in love with it. I hope I inspired some of you to try this game out. It's worth the time.

Tommorow I am buying 2 new games. I was thinking COD2 and PGR3 but I will probably get Condemned instead of PGR3.

#3 themadman123

themadman123

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Interests:Film...

Posted 26 December 2005 - 02:13 AM

You should probably write the review after playing the game a little bit more or beating it, so that its not based on a 20 min or so time of playing. But so far I've heard great things from this game...I might have to check it out.

#4 bullitt464

bullitt464

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 December 2005 - 02:14 AM

yea this game is definately my favorite. i hope they make a part 2.

i just wish there were more things you could use as weapons.. like the fire extinguishers. and maybe if you could just pick up anything you find lying around like the buckets

and what if you could pick up a can of paint and spray your enemies to blind them

i dunno, just throw some more stuff in there to make it more off the wall

#5 hamwbone

hamwbone

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 26 December 2005 - 02:30 AM

wait till you knock teeth out with the sledge hammer =)

#6 DarkLabel

DarkLabel

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 26 December 2005 - 02:39 AM

Nice, once you finish it, you should write a more detailed review.

#7 zeebo

zeebo

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 03:21 AM

QUOTE(hamwbone @ Dec 26 2005, 02:37 AM) View Post

wait till you knock teeth out with the sledge hammer =)

Yeah, they just spit their teeth out like it's nothing. I'm really enjoying this game but I'm having a hard time choosing whether I want to play it or not. My xbox is on the other end of the house... I don't wanna scream like a little girl and wake everyone up tonight.

#8 pmes_17

pmes_17

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:00 AM

thisgame is very intense with DD 5.1 and it
focus on mostly melee then a grusome finisher and the CSI aspect of the game makes the story real twisty.
PRO
melee atacks
grab almost anything for a weapon
very dark game, you notice it when your flashlight goes out
Best surround sound game i have ever played

CON
Short length
very slow movements sprint is a normal walk
This could have had a great multiplayer

Games to look out for if you like this game
Saint's Row
Crackdown
dead rising
Frame city killer
GOW
Prey
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

360 has some promising tittles comming for the second wave

Now go out and bust an addict in the head with a sledge hammer then snap there neck

#9 metaldevil

metaldevil

Webhead

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:06 AM

I think Condemned is a decent game. I just don't think it's scary at all. The jump-out-in-front-of-you gimmick gets old quick. Your character moves too damn slow, and the sprint button is in the most uncomfortable location. I would also have liked to spend more time using the forensic equipment. The way the introductory level was constructed, I thought the whole game would be as balanced. That's not the case, though, because most of the time I'm swinging some sort of fixture to ward of the "pop-up" enemies. Don't get me wrong, I like this game, but it needs a lot of improvement to be "great."

Edited by metaldevil, 26 December 2005 - 08:07 AM.

#10 whitebwoy

whitebwoy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:13 AM

i dont like condemed

#11 crobar

crobar

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 03:00 PM

i hear its awesome fun, but short and has no replay
so if you buy it expect to play it once and then have it collect dust

#12 maxlifo

maxlifo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 26 December 2005 - 04:53 PM

I got it on Launch day and played it through in fits and spurts for a week or so. It looks amazing (from a textures and lighting point of view), the AI is pretty decent and it was great fun. IMO, Condemned freaked the shit out of me in places (the dept store in particular). There are some parts that send a shiver down your spine. Best played after dark with the lights off alone in the house.

I got a pair of surround sound headphones for Christmas, so I'm looking forward to playing it through again on hard to collect the 18 achievements I missed first time round. One of the better 360 Launch titles and definitely my favourite so far.

#13 shodanjr_gr

shodanjr_gr

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 06:37 PM

I got the game a couple of weeks ago and here is what i think.

Graphics wise its very good, excellent and very detailed enviroments. Really atmosferic as well, not THAT scary but it creates a tention that usually lacks from this kind of game (think FEAR and multiply by 2 or something).

Sound is EXCELLENT, the voice acting is A quality and the sound effects are creapy as hell. Its gota be the best sounding game ive ever played.

Controls are also very good. The game can be quite challenging in the fighting sequences especially if you try to dodge/block enemy attacks etc. The Crime Scene Investigation sequences are fun but serve no real point other than advancing the scenario. And a few more melee weapons found have been great (like the Fire Extiguisher idea that was mentioned above).

The game is not very long, average duration for a first person "shooter" but it does have quite a few achievements you can go for if you feel like it.

The few things that i didnt like about the game are:

a) Scenario...its starts out excellent with a lot of prospect but as soon as the game finishes, you are left with so many questions unanswered...
cool.gif I could have used a few more hours of gameplay (perhaps to explain the above questions tongue.gif)
c) Some character textures are a bit low res (especially noticable on the main character)
d) No multiplayer mode of any kind (pitty, since the combat mechanism had so much going for itself)
e) No CoOp.

#14 KMFDM

KMFDM

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Xbox
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 December 2005 - 06:13 AM

i rented the game today and i think this shit sucks, same thing over and over hit some people do a little solving work then hit some more people then goto the exit. sleeping.gif very boring indeed. glad i didnt buy it like i was going to pop.gif

#15 crobar

crobar

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 03:07 PM

personaly i like this game i had a gift card so i picked it up, cant beat a "free" game
i enjoy the fighting style and the sound is amazing.
this game pulls off atmosphere so well my girlfriend and i are having a ball playing it.
its the suspence i thik that makes it so good...
you walk into a room and you know somone or somthing is in the room...some where to the right ahead of you and then you hear somthing else ...
so cool
i like the change of pace its a slow stealthy & violent gameno run and gunner no simple kills,
each character is a battle of its own
often times your left with little to no health to fight off 3 or 4 characters...
over all i love it so far, great graphics are a plus too
if you like resident evil you should like this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users