• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 xcite18x

xcite18x

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 06:44 AM

are there any tutorials with perferably pics taht would show how to lengthen the power on and reset buttons on the xbox, i wanna throw my xbox in my trunk and have the power on and reset at the front of my car with a custom made power thing, to make it look clean. i've tryed searching and couldnt find it anywhere. Thanks guys

also wondering if theres a over heating problem at all, and if i should ventilate the xbox at all, i got a 120gig hd in it, and it would be sitting in my trunk turned on for periods of like 6 hours for road trips. would that cause any problems at all.

Thanks for the answers guys

wink.gif

#2 sting369

sting369

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 26 December 2005 - 07:02 AM

do you plan on using the stock power button or buy a new one? if you want to keep the stock on all you got to do is extend the wires. but since it would be hard to add the eject board you would have to find out what kind of power switch it uses and solder the wires coming off the mobo to the new power switch bypassing the old one. i think its a momentary switch, not 100% on the type. and use this diagram to figure out which wires you will need IPB Image

edit: btw you would use wires 2 and any ground.

Edited by sting369, 26 December 2005 - 07:03 AM.

#3 xcite18x

xcite18x

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:46 AM

so if i cut the #2 and #4 yellow wires, and attach my own switchs to them will it work, i dont care if it cuts off the power to the main buttons, i wont be needing them anyways.

Thanks, the diagram helps a lot

#4 no0b123

no0b123

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  • Interests:Just xbox :p
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 December 2005 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE(xcite18x @ Dec 26 2005, 03:53 AM) View Post

so if i cut the #2 and #4 yellow wires, and attach my own switchs to them will it work, i dont care if it cuts off the power to the main buttons, i wont be needing them anyways.

Thanks, the diagram helps a lot

Cut wire #2 and ground it
Cut wire #4 and ground it.....total of four wires all together. It should work

#5 paulharris2005

paulharris2005

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 26 December 2005 - 07:14 PM

btw if you are using it in the car when your driving your going to have to do something to your hard drive as the vibrations and stuff from the car will kill it very quick.

#6 modthebox.tk

modthebox.tk

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:checking out hacks hardware mods. I make customs out of anything
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 December 2005 - 07:30 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure what can be done with that; if at all possible I think that laptop HD are better with that kind of stuff. I'm not quite sure though.

#7 sting369

sting369

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:26 PM

the problem with laptop hard drives are they are extreamly expensive and most are slow. a 60 gb laptop hard drive running at 7200 rpm will run about $200. if you decide you want a laptop hard drive you will need to buy a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter check ebay you can get one for about $11 shipped.

#8 xcite18x

xcite18x

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 05:23 AM

damn.. so cant even put it in my car without ruining the HDD>? well this sucks, all this planning for nothin, how bad is it really for the HDD? not like its used every day, and will it get damaged even if its turned off, or only when its running.

just some basic questions, cuz i think i might still put it in my car. would suck to back out now. cuz i got almost everything ready and setup. sad.gif

#9 sting369

sting369

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 05:38 AM

a lot of people add hard drives to cars, depending on how you drive you might not ever need to replace the hard drive, but if your always turning super fast or hitting speed bumps/pot holes at high speed then you might have a problem. as far as when its off, you can still cause damage to the hard drive if its off but the tolerance is a lot higher with the drive off. the reason its so low when its on is cause the platters inside are spinning at x200 rpm (insert 5 or 7 inplace of x) or if your crazy enough 10k rpm. what happens is the floating heads will hit the spining platters creating micro scratches and other dings on the platers and possibly destroy the heads.

1. so to answer your question buy a cheapo hard drive
2. when its off its less suceptable (i cant spell.... ok) to damage, but not imperviouse to it
3. laptop hard drives are more durable but more costly and require a converter
4. many people add xboxs to there cars, so see #1
5. make sure you back up and data on your portable xbox hard drive often otherwise when you loose your 30 hour (insert favorite game) save you dont go mad and pull your hair out.

#10 Modderxtrordanare

Modderxtrordanare

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 December 2005 - 06:20 AM

Put the Hd vertical and possible damage to it is greatly reduced.
biggrin.gif

#11 xcite18x

xcite18x

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:46 PM

ok so i cut the yellow power cable, and connected it to the switch, and then i grounded the switch. but for some reason isnt working.. dont know, is there a special kind of switch i should be using, cuz i just picked up a generic on and off one from radio shack.. this seems so simple yet such a pain in the ass heh, suprised no ones made a tutorial on this cuz im sure some ppl have done this

#12 grenex

grenex

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:33 AM

you CAN run it in the car without a problem. A friend of mine has had a "book PC" mounted in the trunk of his acrua TL now for about 4 years without any issue at all.

#13 ndsbass

ndsbass

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:42 AM

QUOTE(sting369 @ Dec 26 2005, 01:33 PM) View Post

the problem with laptop hard drives are they are extreamly expensive and most are slow. a 60 gb laptop hard drive running at 7200 rpm will run about $200. if you decide you want a laptop hard drive you will need to buy a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter check ebay you can get one for about $11 shipped.

http://www.newegg.co...Submit=Property

@xcite18x- you need a momentary pushbutton, is that what you used?also make sure it was a normally open pushbutton and not normally closed.

as for your hddlike modderxtrordanare said if you can mount it vertically do that and it will seriously reduce the risk of damage

#14 CharredChar

CharredChar

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:28 AM

Just curious. What does the number 9 wire, NC, do?

#15 Dreamcazman

Dreamcazman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:40 AM

Xcite - All you need to do is buy 2 momentary on switches of any size, doesn't matter, one for Power and the other for Eject, Wire one switch to wire 4 and the other switch to wire 2. The remain leg of both switches can be joined together which then connects to the common ground. All you need then is a 3 core cable running from the Xbox to wherever you want the switches.

QUOTE(CharredChar @ Jan 6 2006, 04:35 PM) View Post

Just curious. What does the number 9 wire, NC, do?

NC stands for Not Connected

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users