Photo

Can't Change To Progressive Scan! Why That?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ohm

Ohm

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 03:43 AM

I can't change my video mode to progressive scan in the MS dash, there is no setting to change!

What I have
1. Pal Xbox 1.0 K:5001, D:5960, with IND bios 5001-VGA set to NTSC video mode.
2. Evox 3935 with shortcuts to both unhacked and hacked (C7 46 28 20 00 00 00 -> C7 46 28 00 00 00 00 pxboxdash.xbe) MS dash.
2. AVIP to VGA cable without sync stripper (9,10,13,14 bridged together). As these:
http://antibeat.host...uide/guide.html
http://pictures.xbox...le/image007.png
3. IIyama Vision Master Pro 454 Monitor which supports SoG.

Results
Nice stable picture in dash, xbmc and games, allthough a bit dark in games because of interlacing I presume. When returning from MS dash the Evox goes greenish. This minor problem will go away in tomorrow when I add the LM1881 sync stripper to my cable.

Questions
1. I have tried to find the settings in both the hacked and the unhacked MS dash to no avail, what should I do?
2. What about if I change video mode to progressive, does the xbox auto change back to interlaced RGB when using my regular RGB cable, or do I have to change back from progressive to interlaced when coupled to my monitor in order to not have to fumble blindfolded when hooking up my xbox to the non progressive supported telly?
3. The same question as the above, but what about if I boot from a regular Exceuter bios instead of iND's bios (still progressive setting, RGB cable and standard telly)?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Ohm, 28 December 2005 - 04:34 AM.

#2 Ohm

Ohm

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 04:32 AM

Tried to bridge 11-12 and 13-14 instead and got no picture at all.

#3 Ohm

Ohm

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 08:05 AM

I got a picture on my monitor when I enabled progressive scan blindfolded (thanks JaredC01 for the guide) and now my games look much better, but my EvolutionX dash still have some retro-ugly-charmy- horizontal lines all over - like old arcade machinery scanlines or something. All 3 HD modes are enabled in my MS dash.

I tried to change my XBMC to 720p or 1080i but only got a rather heavy pinkish coloration all over the screen - not nice at all, and WS of course which my screen is not. 640p looks good with no "scanlines" at all.

I don't understand how the two tested games (Forza and Halo 2) could display progressive scanning despite being not hex edited. Any ideas? The thing is I'm still using the 2+3 (HDTV mode, 11-12, 13-14 bridged) and NOT VGA mode (1+3, 9-10, 13-14 bridged). I really don't know for sure if the games are running in progressive scan mode but they look damn better now as they are much brighter and with no horisontal lines at all - like any good PC graphics that is. A proof of the machine running (at least somtimes) in progressive mode is that I can't run my unhacked MS dash, or rather I get no picture with it, but my hacked pxboxdash.xbe works fine.

I'm rather confused over what I have and why it work, so feel free to comment or help in any way you find fitting.

Tomorrow morning..or rather today it seems, am I going to buy a few LM1881:s for myself and two friends - lets see what happens then.

What's the best thing to do, solder a proper VGA mode bridge (9-10 + 13-14), add the sync extractor, and forget the progressive settings - because they are still there when changed back and forth between NTSC and PAL mode I presume - or not?

Edited by Ohm, 28 December 2005 - 08:12 AM.

#4 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 December 2005 - 04:29 PM

You are asking a lot of questions, and I probably won't get to all of them but here's a few answers:

PAL XBOXs don't support HD so you must change the region. It sounds like you got HD modes to display so I'm guessing you figured that out.

XBOX games don't need to be patched to support progressive. Most support that out of the box. A few games don't, and they do need to be patched, but the two you mentioned support progressive without being patched.

#5 Ohm

Ohm

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 08:40 PM

Mr Ed; thanks, that expain the progressive mode in the two tested games. I tested a few others but most didn't work in this mode - time for some hex editing then.

And about NTSC mode, yeah I changed from PAL till NTSC in order to enable hd resolutions. Came home with a few sync strippers, let's see if the VGA cable would work on non SoG monitors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users