9 replies to this topic

#1 Devastater

Devastater

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 07:27 AM

well heres the deal, rewind a year, one of my friends from school wanted his xbox modded and gave it to the wrong guy......he used one of those cold heat soldering irons and the points were done horribly....it didn't work when he plugged it all in so he flipped it over and tried to resolder the DO point thinking that was the problem......he messed it up and like pulled the point off.....and it is way more than a broken trace now.......
well fast forward to now, my friend wanted a second go at the modding stuff and trusted me with his new xbox, i fixed him up with the x3 ce and it was a success, so as payment for modding his new one i got his old one and now i want to try and get it fixed so its usable again.......... the old one is a 1.2 or a 1.3 (didn't go through that serial version check) and here is what that other guy did to the DO point and surrounding points on it......
http://i2.photobucke...er/100_1343.jpg
http://i2.photobucke...er/100_1341.jpg

is there any way it can be fixed??? if so can anyone run me through a tutorial with wiring it on top?
and if it is one of those things only a pro can do anyone in the d-town area in michigan???
plz post, any and all info helps thanks!!

#2 oxjeremy334

oxjeremy334

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,844 posts
  • Interests:Being a Rhinestone Cowboy
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 28 December 2005 - 07:32 AM

Just get a fiberglass pen (spot sanding pen at Wal-Mart near the auto touch up paints). Get to where you can solder the traces. Then, bride the traces so that it "skips" the burnt part (a fine piece of wire can be used to bridge, or you can use a conductive pen).

#3 Devastater

Devastater

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:34 AM

any more ideas or suggestions?

#4 ether42

ether42

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:52 AM

ouch man those are bad
i would say use some alcohal to clean the pcb
then get some conductive paint to try
i did say try to repair the board

#5 ctgene

ctgene

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Golf
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:57 AM

not many choices here and the one suggested is a good one...the only other thing you could do is go from via to via...I take a small exacto knife and carefully scrape the via and a small section of the trace, get your bridge wire and place a small amount of solder on each end, then put some flux on the via's and then solder your wire on...your solder skills really need to be up to par for this....

#6 Dreamcazman

Dreamcazman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 29 December 2005 - 03:11 AM

Damn, looks a mess, but I think it looks worse than what it actually is.

Clean the flux off so you can see what you're doing and visually inspect the damage, if you are very careful and have a steady hand, scrap back a little from the traces so you can join them.

btw, did the guy that stuffed this board buy your friend a new Xbox?

Edited by Dreamcazman, 29 December 2005 - 03:14 AM.

#7 Devastater

Devastater

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 04:47 AM

nope, he just said o well and i broke it so theres no point in giving it back to u and he scrapped it for parts, when i got it, it was missing a bunch of screws and the dvd player and hard drive.......
heres some pics of it cleaned up ....just because...
http://i2.photobucke...er/100_1361.jpg
http://i2.photobucke...er/100_1359.jpg

soooo......is there anyway i can just skip all of the stuff inbetween and just wire it like shown in this pic....
http://i2.photobucke...er/100_13xx.jpg
or does it need those points in the middle for something??? because im not sure i can do it like ur saying cause i just don't think im good enough to do that......

#8 Devastater

Devastater

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:53 PM

anyone?

#9 Dreamcazman

Dreamcazman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:43 AM

I can't believe he let him get away with it! What a crook! grr.gif People like that give modders a bad name.

Anyway, that's history, it looks alot better now that it's cleaned. You should be able to wire it up the way you illustrated in that last pic, as long as you make double sure that each end goes to it's corresponding point.

I'm not sure about the points in the middle as I don't think they are vias. Usually you can tell if they are vias if they appear to be tubular, or have a hollow centre and go through to the other side of the MB. (like your coloured dots on the top half of the picture)

I suggest wiring it up and see how it goes.

#10 Devastater

Devastater

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:19 PM

kool, i'll try that....but i think i'll try to find some wire that will actually fit through those points so they don't come out in the future if it works......oh, or on the 1.2 or 1.3 is there a chip blocking it on the other side.....?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users