babanoosh

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:54 AM

I thought to post this here since the hardware board doesn't get as much traffic. Basically, config is correct, but no 5.1, no sound period... unless I switch to dolby stereo (within digital button). I just puchased a second component video A/V cable to check and still... no dice. Anyone have similiar problems? I'm thinking it's internally hardware related (5.1 chip not working, if there is a dedicated chip) or incompatbility with certain recievers, which sounds really far fetched. I don't know what to make of it, but it sucks sad.gif

#2 Pen15

Pen15

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:58 AM

U need a optical cord for 5.1. component cords wont do it, only stereo.

#3 babanoosh

babanoosh

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE(Pen15 @ Dec 28 2005, 06:05 PM) View Post

Right... sorry I didn't mention that tidbit. By component A/V cable, I'm referring to the dongle, with the TOSLink Optical is not working, only in digital stereo mode will it output anything. However, all my other components (xbox and standalone dvd player) work fine, both in 5.1 and DTS.

Edited by babanoosh, 29 December 2005 - 01:10 AM.

#4 bigfatty

bigfatty

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:22 AM

I dont have a 360 to check but in your audio options menu is there an option to change the audio output to bitstream instead of PCM. That might be the problem, I get alot of phone calls about DVD players with the same problem.

Fat

#5 babanoosh

babanoosh

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 02:02 AM

QUOTE(bigfatty @ Dec 28 2005, 06:29 PM) View Post

I dont have a 360 to check but in your audio options menu is there an option to change the audio output to bitstream instead of PCM. That might be the problem, I get alot of phone calls about DVD players with the same problem.

Fat

unfortunately no... I know what you're talking about though. I'm on hold now with the support line... talk about wait!! first some non english speaking hindu, now hold...honestly... I'm about to hang up. If I can't resolve this problem, I'll wait until 360s are back in stock at CostCo and refund my bundle. sad.gif

#6 babanoosh

babanoosh

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 02:20 AM

wow. I haven't succumbed to customer service this shitty in a long time. Imagine how it'll be when everyone actually has a 360. I called back, got another guy, then let him know that I'm currently on hold on my other line, and if 40 minutes sounds normal. He was kind of reluctant to reply... Now he has shuffled me to the queue.

Update... came back... put me on hold again... two lines....still on hold for the first... and the second... this sucks.

#7 MN-Mod-Man

MN-Mod-Man

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 December 2005 - 02:31 AM

I had a similar problem and as it turns out I had my speaker size on my Receiver set to large instead of small (which they are) and like magic my 360 plays 5.1 perfectly, I've heard on other forums it's a LFE issue...hope this helps.

#8 p$ilocybin

p$ilocybin

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 29 December 2005 - 02:35 AM

what recever you guys have? i keep getting overloading problems. i better check my original xbox as well maybe its the console??

Edited by p$ilocybin, 29 December 2005 - 02:37 AM.

#9 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 29 December 2005 - 02:37 AM

QUOTE(Pen15 @ Dec 28 2005, 07:05 PM) View Post

well... mine has 5.1 through the component A/V cable.. as far as i can tell.

if im talking to someone and i turn around, i can hear them throughout each of the surrounding speakers.

#10 p$ilocybin

p$ilocybin

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 02:42 AM

mines a receiver problem, just checked mine on 360 and original xbox....no go

#11 Manobeer

Manobeer

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 02:45 AM

QUOTE(ILLusions0fGrander @ Dec 28 2005, 05:44 PM) View Post

well... mine has 5.1 through the component A/V cable.. as far as i can tell.

if im talking to someone and i turn around, i can hear them throughout each of the surrounding speakers.

Well yes you need the component A/V cable but you also need the optical cable from that component a/v cable to your reciever.

You maybe hearing Dolby pro logic or some form of simulated surround but not Dolby "Digital", unless you have the "digital" cable(optical) hooked up.

PS with our 360, DD works great.

Edited by Manobeer, 29 December 2005 - 02:46 AM.

#12 babanoosh

babanoosh

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 03:18 AM

QUOTE(MN-Mod-Man @ Dec 28 2005, 07:38 PM) View Post

I had a similar problem and as it turns out I had my speaker size on my Receiver set to large instead of small (which they are) and like magic my 360 plays 5.1 perfectly, I've heard on other forums it's a LFE issue...hope this helps.

Tried that, even though it sounds a bit bizarre.. No large/small on my receiver unit via setup, but NML (normal) and Large. Didn't work anyway. I'm STILL on the phone with tech support. I think they're going to send me a new 360 but it's just taking a tremendous time of back and forth for the rep. Seems like these people lose their jobs when have to do RMAs... feel sorry for this guy... seems nice, but this monotonous troubleshooting is driving me bananas....

LFE is low frequency right? So that's only the sub. Not sure how that affects no 5.1 but who knows....

This guy said what I'm experiencing is an "emerging issue" ... but not entirely sure he's being honest there.

QUOTE(p$ilocybin @ Dec 28 2005, 07:42 PM) View Post

what recever you guys have? i keep getting overloading problems. i better check my original xbox as well maybe its the console??

Kenwood VR 507

#13 p$ilocybin

p$ilocybin

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 03:26 AM

i have pioneer. and it overloads when i use an optical connection. kind of weird

#14 woofis

woofis

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 December 2005 - 03:33 AM

i have a problom with my surround sound too. got a 300 dollar surround sound and no optical port! only coax. so i need a coax cord, an optical to coax converter and an optical cord. getting everything this weekend. hope the sound doesnt lag though...

#15 babanoosh

babanoosh

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 03:33 AM

Over two hours in total on the phone boys! Now I'm done...

and they can't give me an honest answer. The rep states someone will contact me in 4-5 business days. At least I have a reference number but sheesh... for all that time, you'd think I'd get a more definitive answer then that. Well, I guess they can get by with this nonchalant "we'll get to you when we get to you" attitude because there are not units in the stores, but I hope they lose it down the road, for when there are 360s on shelves, I won't waste my time with such poor service, I'll just get a refund and purchase another box...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users