mike_jacko

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 31 December 2005 - 01:28 AM

well do you like it? is the online play as described by ign? i have it but have not played it yet...my girl is hogging the 360 rolleyes.gif

#2 rfmok

rfmok

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 01:37 AM

DOa4 is good....

But I'm not feeling the online like I thought I would. There is just way too much lag and it makes no sense. But this is the first day, so hopefully it'll clear up. I played several matches with minimum lag and it was fun. I don't understand the lobby quite yet. Got little cartoon characters running around talking...watching a tv screen while the match is in session...and that's all there is to it. Perhaps there's more to it and I have yet to discover it.

You can't fight if you stay in the lobby the whole time, you have to join the match which takes you to watching the 2 opponents fight until its your turn. THis can take a while depending on the round count and how many people are on the roster. It's cool though. Definitely a great fighting game if not the best DOA game made. Movies and sp are great.

Also, I'm sure most people will agree that the games visuals look great, but not a dramatic makeover from DOA3. However, the backgrounds and environments are where the game shines. The water looks amazing. The music isn't quite catchy...easily forgotten.

If they can clean up the lag (IGN said the lag wasn't an issue...) then it would be outstanding.

I don't want to come across as being harsh on this game. I think its great and I would definitely recommend it.

Edited by rfmok, 31 December 2005 - 01:39 AM.

#3 Vasher

Vasher

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 31 December 2005 - 01:41 AM

Spoiler

Some of the endings are just of the girls bouncing around nude (Kasumi is swimming as a mermaid). For all the pervs that play for the bouncing boobs.

Edited by Vasher, 31 December 2005 - 01:41 AM.

#4 mike_jacko

mike_jacko

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 01:51 AM

QUOTE(rfmok @ Dec 31 2005, 01:44 AM) View Post

DOa4 is good....

But I'm not feeling the online like I thought I would. There is just way too much lag and it makes no sense. But this is the first day, so hopefully it'll clear up. I played several matches with minimum lag and it was fun. I don't understand the lobby quite yet. Got little cartoon characters running around talking...watching a tv screen while the match is in session...and that's all there is to it. Perhaps there's more to it and I have yet to discover it.

You can't fight if you stay in the lobby the whole time, you have to join the match which takes you to watching the 2 opponents fight until its your turn. THis can take a while depending on the round count and how many people are on the roster. It's cool though. Definitely a great fighting game if not the best DOA game made. Movies and sp are great.

Also, I'm sure most people will agree that the games visuals look great, but not a dramatic makeover from DOA3. However, the backgrounds and environments are where the game shines. The water looks amazing. The music isn't quite catchy...easily forgotten.

If they can clean up the lag (IGN said the lag wasn't an issue...) then it would be outstanding.

I don't want to come across as being harsh on this game. I think its great and I would definitely recommend it.

do you play on a hdtv?

sounds good but lag could be an issue

#5 rfmok

rfmok

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 02:03 AM

Yeah, I have an HDTV. Many people have HDTVS and have yet to see the 360 on a standard. I've seen them on both and although there is a difference in clarity, it isn't like playing a PC game on a graphic card at 320x" " vs. 1200 or whatever. I like HD though...but imagine playing Doa3 on HDTV...so the comparison still doesn't change. Unless you want to compare DOA3 from a standard to a DOA4 on an HDTV...but that wouldn't be fair tongue.gif. Anyways...

IGN also states that the character models are similiar to DOA3...so its expected. Don't get me wrong, the models still look better with the 360s hardware. It's just not a dramatic makeover. But the environments make up for that. They are terrific! That's because the water and other elements are photo realistic. So the DOA character models look great while having these type of backgrounds. Lots of space and of course the environments interact with the fights which can alter them. The animations are great too.

As far as the endings. I was pumped to see the endings but after playing tekken 5...man...I really wasn't blown away by these endings. Tekken 5's opening movie alone was so intense and emotionally driven that I was expecting more from this game. Well wake up...this isn't tekken 5 lol. But the fighting mechanics here are probably better. I mean I'm sorry, some of you might love seeing bouncy breasts and swim suits from your favorite DOA ladies. But you'll reach a certain age..or maturity...in which you settle down..and well...the borderline hentai is just...kinda lame. It's attractive, but it's definitely for a younger audience.

I rather have a deep ending that engages in story than to have 20 seconds of a charater taking a shower in which they only tease you with cleavage here and there. This is just my opinion though. Some of you might buy this game alone for the ladies. I wouldn't. It's a great fighter, so it has a lot to offer. DOA4 is great though, check it out for yourself!

Edited by rfmok, 31 December 2005 - 02:06 AM.

#6 Vasher

Vasher

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 31 December 2005 - 02:20 AM

QUOTE(rfmok @ Dec 30 2005, 05:10 PM) View Post
I'd rather have a deep ending that engages in story than to have 20 seconds of a charater taking a shower in which they only tease you with cleavage here and there. This is just my opinion though. Some of you might buy this game alone for the ladies. I wouldn't. It's a great fighter, so it has a lot to offer. DOA4 is great though, check it out for yourself!

The games story is lacking throughout. There's no real explanation for all the scenarios, more like random encounters in places that the character doesn't really have any business in. The endings could have cleared it up a bit, but didn't. It seems as if some of the endings were about the designers laughing at the lack of story and just throwing something out for the titty fans. The rest of the game is good though.

DOA4

DOA3

There's a big difference. DOA4 looks amazing.

#7 Joergen

Joergen

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 02:33 AM

You really need framebuffer grabs from both games for a good comparison. Anything looks good blurred up (which was one of the cornerstones of xbox1, blur).

#8 Altima NEO

Altima NEO

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, XBox, 360, PSP, Dreamcast, 3D Graphics & Animation
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 31 December 2005 - 04:34 AM

No lag online here. However, I have gotten a black screen of death while playing online, where the game simply stops, and all you get is a blank screen. You can still use the xbox button to reset though.
And one one occasion, graphics got real wonky while I was watching someone else fight. Everyone else was saying "whoa, wtf just happened", so I knew it wasnt just me.

Other than that, its a fun game, and I really enjoy it. Its no gift from the heavens, but its definately a must have for 360 owners.

#9 mike_jacko

mike_jacko

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 05:28 AM

11pm east coast....alot of lag online..not only watching but my fights were too unsure.gif

#10 rfmok

rfmok

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 06:43 AM

Came from playing without lag. 6 wins in a row before my opponent gave up and left :-). It seems the lag has tamed quite a bit but it is still there depending on who joins the rooms. Earlier when the game first came out, there was extreme lag in our room. Now its playable and great. I just hope it stays that way!

Um...has anyone figured out the lobby exactly? It seems nobody hangs out there...they just...um watch. So what's the point? uhh.gif I think its really cool though.

#11 Erick

Erick

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 06:57 AM

the game is incredible..

#12 br0w

br0w

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 31 December 2005 - 09:22 AM

yah, my first 2 fights online were really laggy. but the pregame, is hands down the coolest thing evar.

ive been practicing offline with ryu a lot lately so i havent had the chance to really try online a lot, but im sure the lag problem will get better.

and oh yah, graphics on this game? its like OMGWTFWHOA on a monitor.

#13 thegododeath

thegododeath

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE(Vasher @ Dec 31 2005, 02:27 AM) View Post

The games story is lacking throughout. There's no real explanation for all the scenarios, more like random encounters in places that the character doesn't really have any business in. The endings could have cleared it up a bit, but didn't. It seems as if some of the endings were about the designers laughing at the lack of story and just throwing something out for the titty fans. The rest of the game is good though.

Did you beat the game as Helena? Only her character contains the true story/ending to DOA4..and shes only unlocked when you beat story mode with all the characters.

#14 snowcrash8

snowcrash8

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 04:48 PM

must have game

#15 Kernal69er

Kernal69er

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 04:50 PM

Not a big fan of the series or fighters in general, but since no other games on the near horizon i preordered it (which has not come in yet, ebgames) So i rented it yesterday and then, honestly my friend came over and he thought I was playing DOA3, until I told him it was DOA4 (Now I don't have an HDTV, but I think someone should notice the difference, right? anyway, game seems good, but (too me) no different than DOA3, so I will be canceling my preorder today

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users