• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 junco

junco

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:16 PM

Hello.. I'm looking for some advice on modding an xbox.

i've gone over several tutorials, faqs, guides, etc on the process and while i am a newbie to the xbox world i am not at all to the computer world. i noticed there is A LOT out there. lots of bios, lots of chips, lots of mods, lots of ways to do things. i was hoping you guys could help me sort through some of it.

what i want: an xbox i can use a slick looking xbox media center with, play burned discs, use with the dvd remote, and play older games through emulators. i don't plan on using live at all.

what i've figured out. first i need an xbox. a used one would be fine. but what do i have to look out for? what version not to get? i'd want it to have the remote and two controllers. i'd also rip out the hard drive and put a 120 gig in there while putting the mod chip in.

i understand what mod chip you get doesn't matter all that much.

how about which bios to use? which dashboard replacement? evox?

it's a lot to sort through and i was just looking for some suggestions as to what would fit what i want to do best. usually there seems to be a "best" program in these cases... the most popular usually, what should i get to get this setup and be happy with it? thanks.

#2 T-Bagz

T-Bagz

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:35 PM

an xbox i can use a slick looking xbox media center with

Then you definitely want XMBC it is one awesome dashboard. Evox as a dash has the advantage of trainers, but that isnt going to last for long from what I hear.

As for hardware, if you get an Xbox that is version 1.5 or lower, you wont have to do an LPC rebuild so that may make things easier for you.

#3 WizBit

WizBit

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:43 PM

At the end of the day people will only suggest what they use. Only you can decide what chip suits your needs but basically all chips do the same thing, the cheaper they are the less features they have the more expensive they are the more features it comes with. Also you will need to decide whether you want a solderless install or solder it in that will also depend how confident you are with electronics.

From what you are saying im assuming you dont have an xbox?

So first things first you need a mod chip that is capable of upgrading the hdd, i have an xecuter 3 ce which i believe can cope with upto a 300gb hdd, also if you install xbmc, which you will soon realise everyone will tell you to install, you dont need the dvd remote! as you can use the controller, it will also make your xbox multi regional, stream pics and movies from your pc.

With regards to bios's that will depend what chip you get to what bios you need, dashboard, well thats down to personnal taste i personally use evox, but only because i couldnt get avalaunch to boot my games automatically.

Hope this helps

WizBit

#4 RLLMoFP

RLLMoFP

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:45 PM

If you have access to an exploitable game disk (007 Agent under fire, Splintercell or Mech Assault) and a ver 1.0-1.5 xbox, you don't even need a chip.

biggrin.gif

Edited by RLLMoFP, 03 January 2006 - 08:46 PM.

#5 junco

junco

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE(T-Bagz @ Jan 3 2006, 01:42 PM) View Post

Then you definitely want XMBC it is one awesome dashboard. Evox as a dash has the advantage of trainers, but that isnt going to last for long from what I hear.

As for hardware, if you get an Xbox that is version 1.5 or lower, you wont have to do an LPC rebuild so that may make things easier for you.

err... what? LPC rebuld? i'm assuming that is only if you're using a solder mod? I was planning on buying a plug-in chip, no soldering. Does this LPC thing still apply?

i'll probably buy a used box on ebay or something, which will make it pretty much impossible to know what xbox version it is i guess. is there any version that is really hard to mod or there are problems with or should i be set with pretty much any xbox i can get a hold of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users