• PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 January 2006 - 02:31 AM

Hi guys.

More DOA4 stuff here.

Lets post some techniques that we use (for defense?) and maybe
we will have some butt whoopins that last longer than 12 seconds...
If its 'basic' move or not, lets share.

One thing I've learned is about blocking/countering....
At first, I was just trying to hold back and block everything.. waiting for
an opportune time to strike. This doesnt work.

But, If you know the computer is coming in close an is gonna strike,
I will push BACK on the direction, and X at the same time as the computer's strike.
Sometime this results in a counter throw if you push it just at the right time.
Once I figured this out, it gave me a little better chance with defense.

Hope this helps someone.. maybe the 'beginner' player?

#2 Legendary Badass

Legendary Badass

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:44 AM

Here's a tip:

When an opponent is on the ground, assume they will do a low sweep when getting up. Be prepared to counter this. It seems to work very often and the down side is not too bad. If you counter it the first two times, expect them to change it into a mid-level kick, and prepare to block that.

#3 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:14 PM

based on the very basic description of your "technique" I strongly suggest you start by reading the manual and running through the training mode.
Go to "Sparing" from the main menu, select your character, opponent and location (I like Tatami for this). Then once the game starts pause and select "Exercise" it will run you through all the movies for that character including counter attacks (direction + X).

after you complete each exercise you unlock the system voice for that character, if you do all of them (including unlockables) you'll unlock the Tatami level for multiplayer smile.gif

once you're more comfortable with the basic controls you can read this:
http://forums.xbox-s...dpost&p=3163459
and come back with more questions wink.gif

Edited by twistedsymphony, 05 January 2006 - 05:16 PM.

#4 dgrams2003

dgrams2003

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jan 5 2006, 05:21 PM) View Post

based on the very basic description of your "technique" I strongly suggest you start by reading the manual and running through the training mode.
Go to "Sparing" from the main menu, select your character, opponent and location (I like Tatami for this). Then once the game starts pause and select "Exercise" it will run you through all the movies for that character including counter attacks (direction + X).

after you complete each exercise you unlock the system voice for that character, if you do all of them (including unlockables) you'll unlock the Tatami level for multiplayer smile.gif

once you're more comfortable with the basic controls you can read this:
http://forums.xbox-s...dpost&p=3163459
and come back with more questions wink.gif

Good advice. many people dont know about training mode (even though its right on the main menu)
I didnt know it went through defensive moves also (counter attack) ohmy.gif
I'll have to go through it again.
Acutally, I remember going through it with one character, and I could not get the button combination
to recognize when I did it. I got awfully mad, and just quit the training mode..

#5 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:31 PM

some tips for getting the moves to recognize

Rotation moves like quarter circles, half circles, or full circles need to be EXACT it tends not to like them if you're off slightly.

when there is a direction like Forward followed by Punch you're not pushing forward then punch, you're also not pushing forward and punch at the same time. You want to push forward then before you let go of forward push punch, so that there is a little bit of overlap there. punches and kicks don't need to overlap just directions and buttons. Not all moves need this but a good number do and everything should work when using that timing.

Finally some movies can only be performed while you back is to the opponent. Different characters turn around different ways, typically it's some variation of up and punch so if you get stuck needing to turn around screw around and try to figure out the turn around move, if you pay attention to the previous moves leading up to that point you'll usually find one or two that will turn you around.

with a back facing move even pushing the button combo perfectly wont give you credit, you have to turn your character around.

Also the training always goes
Attacks
Throws
Counters
Specials (typically just taunts)

So if you got stuck on an attack move you never got to the counters section.

one last thing

DOA REALLY only has 3 buttons: Punch, Kick, and Free

combinations of these 3 buttons do different things:
Punch + Kick = Powerful Punch
Free + Kick= Powerful Kick
Free + Punch = Throw
Free + Punch + Kick = Tag

On the controller
A = Punch + Free (throw)
B = Kick
X = Free
Y = Punch
LT = Punch + Kick (powerful punch)
RT = Free + Kick (powerful kick)
LB = Free + Punch + Kick (tag)
RB = (Taunt) whatever the button combo happens to be for that particular character

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users