Photo

Spider Gx And Xbox V 1.6 Works For Me - Here's How..

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 Kevinwestling

Kevinwestling

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:33 PM

I am very new to this mod world, and I will be the first to bash a product if it rightfully deserves it. But in my case, I have a Spider GX chip that works in a v1.6 Xbox.. In all of these posts that I have read, the only deduction that I have is that there are myriads of ways of setting this chip up, so I want to share how it worked for me. If this doesn't work for you, and you have a version 1.6 Xbox, then you must have done something wrong or YOU HAVE A BAD CHIP. I know I am getting ready to set myself up for all of the naysayers so I will TRY to be as accurate as I can with these directions and will modify in future posts if need be. So here it goes!

1. http://www.xbox-scen....php]My Webpage

Follow this link to open you Xbox. You have to do this to find out the version that you have. KEEP in mind, that I HAVE A V 1.6 (not 1.6b) so if you have anything else don't bug me because I can't help you.

2. My Webpage1 Identify your version of Xbox by following this link.
Proceed to step 3 only if you have a v 1.6.

3. I installed a 100 GB Maxtor hard drive - nothing special just unplugged the old one and set 100 GB to Cable select and plugged it in.

4. Install Spider GX chip for v 1.6 - I followed these instructions but needed to modify them some.
My Webpage2

First of all, preparing the microscopic holes for the spider legs to fit into took me about 2 hours to do. REMOVE MOTHERBOARD. After cutting off the D0 green wire, I used this as an awl to gently ream in a circular motion while using paint thinner and a qtip, through the lacquer finish that covers these holes: LAD3, DO red, LAD2, LAD0, and LAD1. I used the lacquer and leg on both sides of the motherboard. Even after I got the leg to pass through all 5 clean holes, I went through again with a clean qtip and lacquer on each hole to get any residual lacquer that may still be there. You don't want any lacquer left over at all because the legs will not make good contact in the hole. I just moved the leg in and out in each hole while holding the clean qtip right on the leg to suck up any lacquer. Don't force the leg through the hole or it will bend. Be gentle. It will eventually pass through without much force clearing all lacquer.

Now that the board is ready. I need to point out these changes to Hack's install instructions above. First of all, in the 3rd illustration showing the 4 holes together, there is a TYPO. Change LAD1 in this pic to LAD2. Next I’d like to share the order that I installed the 3 items : Spiderwire PCB (has the crazy legs), Main PCB (gets screwed down to motherboard, and Front Panel PCB Has the ON/Off switch and DIP switches.

a. Install Spiderwire PCB (do not use plastic template it just gets in the way) by using tweezers and inserting 5 legs in corresponding holes as illustrated in the link above. Push legs in (no exact amount here but don’t go too far because they might short on the metal panel lining your box. (You might want to put some electrical tape where these legs may touch just as a safety)

b. Connect the Main PCB and the Front Panel PCB with the supplied external PCB Harness. (Do this now! It requires some exertion even when lined up correctly.)

c. Now tilt the Main PCB under the Spiderwire PCB and gently (ensuring not to raise the legs much)connect them together with the connectors and then fasten the Main PCB to the motherboard using the spacer underneath and the supplied extra screw. Fasten snugly. The other side of the Main PCB will be raised somewhat but this is OK. Just ensure your POGO pins are making good contact by pushing down on the board a few times. Let the Front Panel PCB lay somewhere outside the case while you reinstall the motherboard. The Front Panel PCB should be set to the On position and all DIP switches should be on. You may have to remove a small clear protective liner from the top of the DIP switches.

5. Connect the hard drive and DVD drive but let them hang loosely from the outside of the Xbox case. (You may have to wiggle the chip some later).

6. Connect controller, power cable and AV cable to the Xbox and Power On. If you get to the Spider OS screen continue to step 7. If not, you have to wiggle or reseat the chip.

7. Make a BIOS DVD (Always use DVD –R for anything!) with the x2_5035_v16plus_512k.bin file (find on torrent sites). Use this guide My Webpage3

8. Hit the A button and select Add BIOS from CD. Scroll down and select Bank 3. And select to Auto boot on Bank 3. Install DVD and flash. You will know it is done when it reaches the “end” stage. (Maybe 5 to 10 seconds)

9. Turn off Xbox, remove DVD and change DIP switches from all ON to A-Off, B-On, c-Off, D-On. This will force the bios to boot to bank 3 as indicated on the diagram stamped on the Front Panel PCB. VERY IMPORTANT

10. Start Xbox and then place Slayer’s 2.6 DVD in and turn off Xbox. Restart Xbox and it will boot to Slayer’s setup. Format your hard drive and install Apps.

11. Take out Slayer’s DVD and then try booting. Slayer’s should boot but no APPS will work yet. Connect your Xbox and PC to a network hub. Power on Xbox with a UnleashX DVD installed to start UnleashX. Verify that you have gotten an IP address in the network settings. Nothing else needs to be done with UnleashX. In my case I got a 192.168.1.102 IP address. From your PC, using CuteFTP, copy the x2config.ini file from here - My Webpage6and onto your hard drive of your PC. Then using CuteFTP move the x2config.ini file to the root of the f drive on the Xbox.

12. After this is copied and you verify it is on the f drive, you will be able to load games to you hard drive and play them from hard drive with Slayer’s.

Let me know if anything seems unclear. Good Luck!

#2 HackDaBox

HackDaBox

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts
  • Interests:XBOX-SCENE
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:01 AM

Hello Kevinwestling,

When i asked you to make a post detailing how you got your Xbox V1.6 to work perfectly ( boots all xbe's ) i thought you may be able to give a few clues as to why your install worked unlike 100's of others that didn't.

I never expected this brilliant and very well written guide that answers so many questions. Thank You so much for this post !

This is xbox-scene forums at their best !

I have updated my picture on both websites so the Lad2 is now shown correctly. I did pick this up as soon as i saw the original install pics from spidergx team and i did set out to double check which lad lines needed adjusting but never got to it for some reason or another.

I don't think many people are spending enough time and care clearing out the laquer from the vias. You appear to be a patient and carefull person that took hours to do the job properly and carefully , hopefully more people will try this approach instead of taking small drill bits to the vias or steak knives !

I cannot stress enough that you cannot be too carefull when trying to remove the lacquer from the vias. Your method of using the cut off green d0 wire and paint thinners and a qtip and lots of time and care sounds like the perfect way to do this !

So are you using Evox or Unleash X now as your main dashboard ( installed to your hard drive ) ???

Once again thanks for your time and energy it is greatly appreciated by all who visit these forums i am sure !

HackDaBox !

Edited by HackDaBox, 08 January 2006 - 05:03 AM.

#3 Kevinwestling

Kevinwestling

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:46 AM

Well, Hack, I got most of my education from you! Thanks for the kind words.

I actually only had to use UnleashX during the course of my configuration because to me it had the best network capabilities and resolved the IP address very noticibly. The only dashboard that I use is Slayer's 2.6.

I did fail to mention that I am still using the Spider 1.0 OS - I see no need to upgrade.

I wish others the best!

Thank you for your dedication, HackDaBox. This was actually for my 11 year old son and he is having a joyous time with his Modded XBox. He favors Red Dead Revolver.

#4 beutel

beutel

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:35 PM

i was able to play games too, but sometimes it just hangs !
did the same thing you did except changing the hdd !
are you able to launch the appz EVERYTIME you start the box ?

EDIT : OK it's clear now :

the problem is the evox dashboard !
if you use avalaunch you have less probz, using unleashX you have NO probz launching appz,games, etc. .

Edited by beutel, 08 January 2006 - 12:41 PM.

#5 Goeroe

Goeroe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:13 PM

Ok, I have done everything you can possibly imagine to get it booted, also all dipswitch settings , pressing on different corners, reconneting everything more over (some 4 times now), re-aligning, measuring by Volt meter etc. Everything is really ok. The only thing I didn't do is clearing the holes on the motherboard like you described. Since I checked the connections of the wires by maginfy glass, and it showes all LED's are running just the way these suppose to (depending on the stand of the external switch) it still keeps fragging in the On stand. I can hardly imagine that this clearing of the holes really brings the difference and seems a rather time consuming thing to do. There is contact on the pins or not, and obviously I have contact.. So starting in doing so I would like you to give me your opinion. Did you start this procedure because you felt the legs weren't tight/fixated enough? Or can you tell me by experience this may bring a difference for instance knowledge on the contact surface or production methods in motherboards which I obviously lack off.

This is important and making me a littlebit uncertain. The first time I put everything together I was having all the LED's as welll, although 1 leg was defenitely just besides the hole. I doubted and that's why I started using a magnifying glass to ensure myself I wasnt mistaken and I was not. So after I put it in correct I still had the same thing. You understand now why I ask you this question.
Thanks.

#6 HackDaBox

HackDaBox

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 01:38 AM

Please take the time the properly clear the holes as described then test again. If you squueze a leg with your fingers it lights up ! because you are completing the circiuit ! The leds do help a little but they are not foolproof.

HackDaBox !

#7 tyrant78

tyrant78

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:30 PM

ok i have a 1.6 a xbox,
ok having the same trouble alot of people are having i have tried everything under the sun to get this thing to load apps, but no luck in doing so

im using the 5035 bios tried the other one did nott boot
evox no apps work
xbmc doesn't boot
avalaunch no appz work
unleash the loading screen goes away giving a glimmer of home then stalls and i get nothing

now i have rechecked connectiosn a dozen of times i am just at a loss here

#8 rammerst

rammerst

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 04:28 PM

Hallo Kevinwestling,

First of all, THANX A LOT for your explanation!!!

I've an XBOX 1.6a with a spiderGX chip installed. I've been searching the whole internet for a (good) solution for my chip to work.

This is the first decent and working explanation I've foud.

The only thing I've done different is in step 11. It was a bit confusing in the beginning but I figured it out.
In your explanation, there's someting about installing unleashX on a DVD, then transferring the x2config.ini-file with an FTP-program to your f-drive's root.

I've just copied the file with Slayer's 2.6 software and it worked fine for me.

So thanx again for your guide. I had almost lost all hope for the spidergx chip.

If anyone with a xbox 1.6a has a question about kevinwestling's guido, I'll do me best to give a more detailed explanation.

Bye!

#9 HackDaBox

HackDaBox

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 02:16 PM

Hello Rammerst,

Just to clarify ... are you saying you installed the guide following this pinned guide by kevinwestling but at the end you just ftp'd the x2config.ini file accros after booting slayers which setup a working network connection for you ?

See it kinda depends on your network setup. Some people will need a boot disc that setups up DHCP and others will need a static ip.

In the end the result will be the same. Now can you load apps from a dashboard on your hard drive ?

HackDaBox !

#10 zagnuttt4

zagnuttt4

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 04:41 PM

Hi hack...

I know your question wasn't directed towards me, but that's what I did too. Just booted to Slayer's 2.6, changed my IP settings to static, and FTP'd my .ini file to the box. However, no, I still wasn't able to load/run apps. smile.gif Since then I reformatted and actually did install the UnleashX dvd, also to no avail. I was however able to run the file explorer from the UnleashX dashboard, which was more than I could do from the Slayer's Evox. Either way, it is the SpiderGX that's giving the people the problems with loading and running .xbe's. I've tried every possible combination of dashboards, settings, .ini configurations, BIOS flashes, etc... and troubleshooting logic points to the chip on all accounts. Just won't run .xbe's for most people. I'd say if you have a 1.6, with a SpiderGX in it, and it WILL load/run apps, no matter what BIOS,Dashboard,etc.. you have running, then you should consider yourself lucky. smile.gif It just seems strange that you can boot up a backup, and it will play.. therefore it's capable of running an .xbe. But anything else it just won't do it. Strange...
I'd even be willing to go out on a limb here and say this. If you've met this Criteria:
-Installed SpiderGX CORRECTLY on a 1.6 or 1.6b XBOX
-Correctly flashed your BIOS with either X25035 or EvoxM8 and it's working
-Correctly installed Evox dash, UnleashX dash, or used an auto-installer cd to install either one, such as Slayer's cd or UnleashX cd

and you STILL can't load/run any apps, from any dash.. then I doubt you EVER will get any apps to load unless you replace the modchip itself with a different chip..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A+
Network+
MCSE
------------------
SpiderGX
X2 5035

#11 gremlins

gremlins

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 08:59 PM

Sorry to say this still does not work for me sad.gif I wound up soldering the stupid spider. I can boot everything, but yet again no apps from hdd, or a multigame disk. The problem is xbox simply will only launch 1 .xbe per boot. I tried your step by step directions. I have the x2orig.ini on my f drive. At least now I have an f drive, although I cant use it where as before I had no f drive. I tried evox, no apps. Ava, just hangs when boots. And also unleash. I have a 1.6a xbox and the stock hdd.

#12 rammerst

rammerst

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:52 PM

Hello Hackdabox,

When I launch my XBOX with the slayer's menu, I can connect with 2 options:

If you have a router, you can change the options 'static ip' to 'NO' and use a program like flash fxp with the ip the xbox gets from the router.

If you directly connect your xbox, you just make sure that both devices are on the same subnet.
The easiest way is with the subnet 255.255.255.0.

By default, your xbox is configured with the IP 192.168.1.200 and with the subnet 255.255.255.0, in the IP settings from your pc, you enter manually an IP between 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.254; except 192.168.1.200 wink.gif For example use 192.168.1.3

If you save the settings and reboot the xbox, you should be able to connect on one of the 2 way's.

I can load app's from my hdd, not all the app's from slayers 2.6 are working but most of them do...

#13 HackDaBox

HackDaBox

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:02 PM

Hello there ...

which APPS don't work ?

Also please remember people that you can only change options like static to DHCP if you have installed slayers to your hard drive. Make sure if you do change any options that you scroll to the very end of the menu and save the changes. If you boot from a cdrw / dvd-r then you can't change any options !

HackDaBox !

#14 badclstr

badclstr

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:16 AM

Hi,

I have 1.6xbox with spider gx and it seam working but I cannot move the cursor in the main spider menu.

I think my controller don't work.

What should I do ???

It dosen't FRAG, 5 blue led appear on the chip and 2 on the front panel.(power and flash).

thanks

#15 HackDaBox

HackDaBox

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:53 PM

Try another controller ( Genuine MS ) or try the Genuine MS DVD remote as it works fine too. Some cheap controllers dont work in linux ( Spider menu ). Unplug memory cards and other controllers. Try unplugging and plugging your controller back in !

HackDaBox !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users